Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 credit card have cleared out my current account!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bothskint

201 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  11:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please help,
I have a halifax credit card & 2 current accounts with halifax. one sole & one joint. On thursday i lost my card for the joint account so transfered £250 into the other acount so we could acces our money at the weekend while waiting for a replacement card.
I have just checked my account & they have cleared my account right down to 1p & as i have been using my cash card am now in the red with the account.
As you know we will be going bankrupt in january & havent paid any creditors for 3 months now. Are the credit card company within thier rights to do this without prior notice? we have only had one letter & that was from from tescos saying they may do this but not from halifax yet.
Please help as this is my bill money & christmas money, what can i do?

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  11:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bothskint

I am so sorry to hear what the bank has done to you but i believe that they can do that, as in the small print if you have a current account and also cards or loans through the same bank then you give them permission to take funds to pay these if your accounts allow it.

I think i am right in saying that, i dont know what else you can do as you have a little while tillk you go BR and so are not protected yet.

I do hope something gets sorted and i also hope that in a way im wrong and that you can fight it.

Let us know how it all goes.

Jo
x

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Go to Top of Page

bothskint

201 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  13:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Jo,
doesn't sound too hopefull does it
that was for my council tax & gas bill.
luckily i have enough in my other account for the rent but think i will go and draw that out & open a co-op account at the weekend,
life is crap
Go to Top of Page

Trolly-Dolly
Average Member

591 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  13:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That happened to me with Halifax and here is what I did (it was a CC and not a loan).
As I really needed the money to live on, I just went and drew out cash on the CC (the same cash that I had just been forced to pay them with). Didnt get it all back as about £45 was interest, but got some. This was right before BR and the OR has said nothing as I explained it was for essentials to live on my SOA.
Good luck x

You can read my blog here;

http://drowningmummy.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Cakietin

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  14:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi bothskint

Yes that also happened to me with the Halifax but for my personal loan. I managed to open my Co-op account and have all my credits transferred to that so they can't touch anymore of my money. Perhaps you should consider doing the same.

Kind regards,

Amanda
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  14:21:24  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Unfortunately, the banks do protect themselves by putting something into the small print. It may well be worth reading through the small print of your original credit agreement if you still have it.

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

bothskint

201 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  15:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for your replies,
looks like its lost money now. I feel stupid for transfering the money now, but what is done is done :(
would it be ok to withdraw all my money from the other account including the £200 overdraft to open the co-op account with? gonna go straight to the cash point after work.
Here's hoping for a christmas bonus :)
Go to Top of Page

Trolly-Dolly
Average Member

591 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  15:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did. Naughty, but I had to live.

You can read my blog here;

http://drowningmummy.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  15:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say, why not, you have to live and at the end of the day they have left you with v little money so go for it.

LOL

Jo
x

4 months down
8 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Go to Top of Page

bothskint

201 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  15:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the cash point it is then, before they try and take anymore off me. Don't they know 'tis the season of goodwill?
Thanks again guys
x x x
Go to Top of Page

movin on
Average Member

United Kingdom
946 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2008 :  18:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also used my card for necessary things and explained this to the or during my telephone interview, which has not caused a problem.

Also i would change bank accounts as soon as you can, this happened with barclays to me and would have continued had i not stopped using that account

Jenny

xx

Onwards and Upwards is the way im going :-0)

xx
Go to Top of Page

bothskint

201 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2008 :  15:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys
got all my money out of the halifax :)
went to open a co-op account on saturday & they were so very nice to us, only problem was that we took our driving licences as id & forgot we hadn't changed our address! DOH!!!
looks like another trip to town this saturday, but at least we know the account is just waiting to be activated.
Thanks again for all your help last week x
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2008 :  15:38:35  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Best of luck!

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page