Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Car in Mothers name?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

set1077
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  00:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have taken on board all of your comments.
I have looked into the insurance side of things. Please read the following passage:

Most of the time, the legal owner and the registered keeper will be the same person. However in cases where a car is leased, then the legal owner will normally be the company and the registered keeper the employee who uses the car. Another example is when a father buys a car for the son to use – the father may want to retain all rights to the car but give the responsibility of day to day running to the son.Most car insurance companies will insist that the policy holder be the registered keeper to keep things simple and will not quote for cases where they are different. By law, the policy holder does not need to be the registered keeper but you will be narrowing your choices of insurers if you are in this situation.

My question now is if my parents remain 'OWNERS' of the vehicle but give it to me for my use and is registered / insured in my name then would the OR be able to touch it? If I get a legal document drawn up showing that it has always been in my step-fathers name and is still legally his but that he is giving full use and responsibility to me to run etc would they let this go?
Or am I on shakey ground?

If this is too risky and complicated then I won't contemplate it, it's just that if we have to get rid of our old car due to costs and we do not have a car at all then my fiance will not be able to get to and from work and we will be without any income at all. Any advice is gratefully received on this, I feel in a right pickle.
Go to Top of Page

set1077
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  00:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just found some information, would anyne be able to verify what it says is correct please:

Establishing the owner of a car

Before the official receiver can take any action regarding a vehicle he or she must be certain that it is actually the property of the bankrupt. The registration document of the vehicle only confirms who is the registered keeper, it does not prove ownership.

If the ownership is unclear the official receiver will ask the bankrupt and any third parties involved to produce further evidence of ownership e.g. a purchase invoice, a copy of the loan agreement, or a bank statement showing transfer of funds etc.

Where the vehicle proves to be the property of a third party the official receiver cannot take action to realise it on behalf of the creditors. This applies in cases where the bankrupt is shown as the registered keeper of the vehicle but it was actually purchased by a parent or spouse.

If this is the case and it is correct then my step-dad would be able to prove purchase and ownership of the car for some years and he caould let me have full control and use as the registered keeper until BR is discharged.
Go to Top of Page

moodybluetwo

156 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  09:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The insurance policy is quite specific on ownership of a vehicle and the percentage of time any named driver uses the vehicle. Also the police (and other lawful agencies) now have specific real time access to detailed information from your insurer ……so if you were stopped at any time or committed a road traffic offence the details would be logged. If someone digged a little deeper they may start to ask you questions you may find difficult to answer. In my opinion going BR is a serious matter which requires honesty and good will on both parts…do you think this is your situation?
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  10:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The police now use Automatic Number Plate Recognition systems to check on the details on a car which is done in real time.

I disagree that if you are stopped the details are logged - it could just be a warning about something or a normal stop check. If you commit an offence then obviously these details are recorded.

However, if you are done for speeding and are offered the day course instead of points on your licence then this isn't logged anywhere and does not affect your insurance.

With our policy, yes we live at the same address, but I use the car more than the policy holder and there is nothing in ours about the amount of time anyone uses the car.

The world is broken, halos fail to glisten
We try to make a difference but no one wants to listen
Hail the preachers, fake and proud
Their doctrines will be cloud
Then they'll dissipate like snowflakes in an ocean

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

moodybluetwo

156 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  10:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All details of any incident are logged I can assure you…mainly for anti terrorist intelligence …which is also why most agencies now share information. As long as you are sure of your insurance proposal details are correct then you should be ok with your car.
Go to Top of Page

set1077
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  12:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right so bascially scrap the idea of insuring in my mothers name, I agree it is dishonest.
However if my step-dad retains ownership of the car but passes use and responsibility to me as the registered keeper and thus insuring it myself legally, then there isn't a problem is there? As my previous post with info found states the car cannot be touched by OR unless i am the owner which I will not be.
Surely this is legal and acceptable or the OR would not be able to allow it? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  17:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it all works out for you set and that you get the car sorted.

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

set1077
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  17:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks kallis3, i just deleted my last post. I was ranting a bit beacuse I am unsure of my future and upset.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  17:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry - you could have left it in. Sometimes other posters do upset us.

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2011 :  19:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it would be legal if your parents truly remain the owners of the veheicle, you declare that to the insurance and that you will be the main driver of the vehicle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page