Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Would the OR be likely to accept full amount of IPA now instead of monthly payments ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2012 :  07:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said debtinfo. It is an unfair system and I know there are people who do avoid getting a job until after they are discharged.

Having said that, at least Gary was trying to pay something back.

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2012 :  08:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree Debtinfo. It's always been a sore point with me that some people deliberately avoid working until they are discharged just so they can avoid paying an IPA.

Hopefully one day the law will be changed but as it's such a sensible idea I won't hold my breath!

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2012 :  09:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should go back to a BR lasting 10 years and handing your passport over?

The rules are there to be applied, and everyone will always try and do whats best for them. Thats human nature.

I'm suprised that the law doesn't give the OR the right to apply a zero rated IPA for 3 years, and totally understand Gary's reasoning for what he tried to do.

Afterall, it was a third party offering to pay his total IPA.

Third parties are able to pay for lots of things to release items from a bankrupts estate, and that is allowed by law.

Maybe IVA's and bankruptcy overall is unfair to the general public?
Maybe we should all pay back every single penny that we owe?
Afterall, it us ourselves that generated the debt?

Food for thought.
Dont all rush to condemn me staright away!

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2012 :  09:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course I don't want to see BR lasting 10 years!

As you seem to think it's fair that people can play the system and get out of paying back any of the money they borrowed I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I will NEVER condone anyone not taking a job to avoid an IPA.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2012 :  09:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never condoned anyone not taking a job to avoid an IPA!

I was merely pointing out extremes of how the rules are applied.

Like I said, don't all condemn me straight away!!

Remember, my last paragraph,
Quote 'Maybe IVA's and bankruptcy overall is unfair to the general public?
Maybe we should all pay back every single penny that we owe?
Afterall, it us ourselves that generated the debt?

Food for thought.
Dont all rush to condemn me staright away!' unquote.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2012 :  10:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure we would all love to pay our debts back in full, after alll, that was our intention when we took the loans out. Circumstances have dictated otherwise for those of us who ate insolvent

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2012 :  10:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niobe, exactly.

The thing is, we all chose either IVA or Bankrutpcy to suit our own personal circumstances, so in effect, we you could argue that we all 'played' the system to our advantage!

If there'd only been one choice for us all to take, then that would've had to have been it.

Thats why we all took advice.

If there were a lot more options open to us, there'd be a lot more decisions to make, and each time, it would have been for an individual to to take advantage of what system was available to them for their benefit, or that of their family.

I'm not trying to be confrontational at all, just food for thought.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

Gary.3
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2012 :  20:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Gary.3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Totally agree Niobe.

Problem is since the rules changed, it does act as a deterrent for people to increase their wages whether that's by not working at all (no way would I want to not work by the way or condone anyone who does this), not taking on overtime, not worrying about commission payments, not seeking for promotion/better paid job, etc.

I know a few people who are BR and while they readily accept the IPA and pay into one, absolutely refuse to agree to paid overtime as it is of no benefit to them personally. This can of course also affect the employer particularly if they are small as they can then end up with people who are not motivated to put in the extra hours or earn decent commissions. I have seen this at a previous company where 3 people had entered into BR. The employer had a choice as to whether to dismiss those people and risk being taken to a tribunal (which they would probably have lost) or employ additional staff which should not have been needed.

Perhaps a fairer system would allow someone with an IPA to keep a percentage of additional earnings (say for example 30%) - I think in most circumstances the BR, employer and the creditors would be better off.

Having spoken to several people who are either BR or in an IVA, it seems the higher earners are actually paying LESS than some lower earners as perhaps employers are able to assist in some adjustment to their salaries.

I also know of more than one person who despite earning £50k+ (which is considerably more than their outgoings) and so should pay a substantial IPA actually manages to avoid any payment whatsoever! Apparently this is all legal and above board but certainly isn't within the "spirit" of BR.

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2012 :  21:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gary,

Well put. Its the interpretation of the rules, but would cost too much to police every single person on their own merits, which would probably be open to 'abuse' as well.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 08 July 2012 :  09:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary,

Dug this out, that may be of interest to you.

What happens if I receive a lump sum while I am paying an IPA or IPO?

You may be asked to make a one-off payment from the lump sum to cover the amount left to pay on the IPA or IPO. This can happen even if you are discharged from bankruptcy.

The amount claimed will vary, depending on whether you are discharged when you receive the lump sum and the time left to run on the IPA or IPO.

--------------
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page