Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Ive finaly got a current account
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  10:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I've said before, the 3 strikes rule encourages sensible account management which is something surely all of us have now learned? That to me is far more ethical than constantly taking charges from people.

I would never be able to use a bank where I couldn't easily pay in money - it's not something that happens very often () but it's a necessity.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

25 IPA payments made, 11 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  11:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

Just following this story...

I am BR and with the Coop (Cashminder a/cv)- Not aware of the three strikes... I may be a bit dim, what are they??

The Coop have so far been very professional for me and my wife who also has a Cashminder a/c - she is not BR and also finds them to be good - we can pay bills with it by DD and all seems OK - do not know what I have miessed her - can anyone enlighten me please?

regards, Richard (may be being a tad naive here today)

"There are no problems - only solutions..."
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  11:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skippy13

As I've said before, the 3 strikes rule encourages sensible account management which is something surely all of us have now learned?

I agree. As BR people we are lucky that a credit organisation will let us bank with them and not only that but they are willing to give us 3 chances of going overdrawn!!!

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  12:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Co-op has a rule that if you go overdrawn 3 times they will close the Cashminder account. However, if it's not your fault (i.e. a DD is taken early in error) this doesn't count towards the 3 strikes.

I'll be sticking with the Co-op as I'm happy with the account, the customer service is excellent, I like the ethical policy and it's convenient for me to use the Post Office. When my BR is no longer on my credit files I'll try and upgrade to a full current account, but in the meantime the Cashminder does exactly what I want it to.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  12:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah ha, thank you for informingf me of that, I did not know.

However, I will never never never become overdrawn again in my life - please God!! So the three strikes bit, I trhust will not apply to Sue and me!

I do again say though the Coop were the friendliest bank to "welcome" me as an UD BR - everyone else had treated me like a criminal with three heads...

Therefore, we will continue to use them , but I now have thet extra information for which I will bear in mind... (just in case!)

regards to all, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions..."
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  12:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And there was me thinking I was the only one with 3 heads!

I manage my bank account with a spreadsheet - at the beginning of every month I enter my salary. I then enter all of my regular outgoings in blue and change them to black when they have gone out. I do the same thing if I withdraw money or use my card. That way I know the amount on the spreadsheet is always what I have to spend.

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle83

258 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  14:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only issue I have with the strikes ule is how long the internet banking takes to update! I've had payments (shopping in asda/morrisons) that havent gone out til 5 days after they were paid! This led to me getting one strike as it hadnt shown £2.11 from 5 days beforehand,an then pet insurnace went out, leaving the account 50p down, even though hubbys pay went in the next bloody day. I miss how quick my old accounts updated, and how items in transit were deducted immediately.

Apart from that everything else is great. I'd be tempted by a second account to put savings in. Surely you could pay in to cashminder at P.O, then transfer funds to other account, using it as a stop gap?

Weeks of BR

****5****10****15****20****
(EDREV received and returned at exactly 24 weeks)

25****30****35****40****45****50**
Go to Top of Page

shelleyandrew76

84 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  14:55:00  Show Profile  Visit shelleyandrew76's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there Sparkle. I must admit that is one thing I dont like about the CO-OP cashminder account, the fact that it doesnt come out instantly like another bank I know that does. Lets just hope its a working progress and changes in the near future.

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  15:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be handy, but even though Nationwide has real time online banking I've noticed a few times that it hasn't updated straight away. That's why I've stuck with my spreadsheet - I'm more accurate than the banks!

Go to Top of Page

shelleyandrew76

84 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  15:52:55  Show Profile  Visit shelleyandrew76's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do the spreadsheet aswell skippy and as you say are more accurate than the banks.

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2009 :  17:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that you should make sure that you don't go overdrawn. I have never kept such a careful eye on my money!

The problem with the Coventry is the fact that if you want to pay cash in, unless you have a local branch, you can't. I also don't want to pay cheques in through the post - it adds a day or two on to when it clears.

I don't have a problem with the three strikes ethic either. You know what the rules are when you take out a Cashminder account and it is down to you to stick to them.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2010 :  12:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I have a cashminder account and I have been gone overdrawn once (by accident I might add). I keep a close eye on my account everyday, but sometimes it is very difficult to keep a check on any transactions that are pending as the bank amount is different to the 'actual' amount in your account. I do have a problem with bank transaction which are pending and I think banks as you are never quite sure exactly how much you have in your account. A problem I have had is when transactions are pending and the bank still permits another transaction even if this means you go overdrawn. I am in this situation at the moment and I fear I may go overdrawn again, although I am trying to put in any spare pounds I may have just to keep the account in credit. If I do go overdrawn this will be my second time, so does that mean I get one more chance before they cancel my account. I know some earlier posts say that the 3 strikes is a good idea and it makes you more conscience of your spending, but sometimes as with direct debits, etc, it is harder than you realise to keep track. Please don't accuse me of neglect as I am positively compulsive in my accounting management. We are human after all, not machines.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2010 :  12:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I'm aware you'll have one more chance if you go overdrawn again.

The way I manage my money (and I'm not trying to tell you what to do!) is at the beginning of each month I put my salary onto my spreadsheet and show all my direct debits as withdrawals, even though they haven't happened yet so I know the figure at the bottom of the sheet is mine to spend.

Every time I use my debit card or withdraw cash it goes on the spreadsheet as a minus straight away.

The minuses are all coloured blue, and I change them to black as soon as they have actually gone from my account.

I check this every couple of days or so and keep the final figure on the spreadsheet in my mind, rather than what the bank says I have.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 - it's over at last!
Go to Top of Page

Searcher

60 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2010 :  22:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xmas baby

Hi all,

I have a cashminder account and I have been gone overdrawn once (by accident I might add). I keep a close eye on my account everyday, but sometimes it is very difficult to keep a check on any transactions that are pending as the bank amount is different to the 'actual' amount in your account. I do have a problem with bank transaction which are pending and I think banks as you are never quite sure exactly how much you have in your account. A problem I have had is when transactions are pending and the bank still permits another transaction even if this means you go overdrawn. I am in this situation at the moment and I fear I may go overdrawn again, although I am trying to put in any spare pounds I may have just to keep the account in credit. If I do go overdrawn this will be my second time, so does that mean I get one more chance before they cancel my account. I know some earlier posts say that the 3 strikes is a good idea and it makes you more conscience of your spending, but sometimes as with direct debits, etc, it is harder than you realise to keep track. Please don't accuse me of neglect as I am positively compulsive in my accounting management. We are human after all, not machines.

xmas baby

I have accounts with Co-op and agree that it is a real pain when checking your activity online as some transactions are there instantly, some the next day and yet others up to 5 days!!!

Had to have a tyre changed etc yesterday (£90) and used the account to pay - the transaction is not showing yet on the web and is giving a false reading of the amount available. However, I noticed today when drawing cash from a machine that the amount available reads correctly on the withdraw slip. When I got home and logged in the amount available is still incorrect - no mention of the tyre transaction and advising me that I have £90 more available than I actually have!

It seems strange that the cash dispenser knows the true state of play but the online details are way behind.

Edited by - Searcher on 26 August 2010 22:23:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page