Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Bonus in IPA

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
indy2005 Posted - 17 March 2010 : 22:11:06
Hi,

I get an annual bonus which is part shares and part cash. I am 12 months into an IPA, I know the shares are mine as an asset provided post discharge. Do I have to declare the bonus?

Regards

i
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bridgewood Posted - 22 March 2010 : 09:30:29
As I understand it, the policy is the same - a cash bonus is classed as part of salary, but the proportion claimed will depend to some extent on individual circumstances and the amount of the bonus. As far as I can see there is no hard and fast rule that says if the bonus is x then the amount claimed will be y
indy2005 Posted - 21 March 2010 : 13:18:24
was this post discharge? I have heard it direct from the OR office they would like to claim 50% of the cash. I am discharged.

Why the inconsistency in advice and experiences?
Mrsroller Posted - 21 March 2010 : 12:59:01
I had a bonus in December of £180 and they took all of it not just 70%. Thought it was a bit harsh at the time, I was expecting to keep a little bit lol.
indy2005 Posted - 19 March 2010 : 16:23:15
hopes raised, hopes dashed....thats bankruptcy I guess!

I will pay it into my pension, then I get it all...albeit in 100 years time.

Regards

i
Bridgewood Posted - 19 March 2010 : 15:55:30
That was always my understanding of the situation. A bonus is classed as part of your earnings, not after acquired property.

Any after acquired property you acquire after discharge (such as a lottery win) is not claimable, but increases in earnings are, even if paid periodically by way of lump sums
indy2005 Posted - 19 March 2010 : 15:51:13
I cross posted here, and seem to be getting conflicting advice from two very knowledgable forums!

http://www.debtquestions.co.uk/debt_forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30236&p=221589#p221589
indy2005 Posted - 19 March 2010 : 15:33:16
quote:
Originally posted by gettingoutofdebt

quote:
Originally posted by indy2005

I am getting confused about bonuses, do I have to declare it and will they take it? If they are taking 70% of a £150 bonus, this seems in conflict with earlier posts?

Regards (and thanks - didnt mean to come across ungrateful).

Regards

i

You don't need to declare the bonus and the OR won't take it. Xmas Baby wasn't discharged until a few weeks ago so his bonus, or 70% of it, was taken as he was still BR in December.

Hi,

I just rang the insolvency service, and then spoke to a case officer - who stated I do need to declare it, and their guidance was they would look to reclaim 50% if it.

If they are in the wrong, or are acting improperly how do I handle it?

Thay also advised me if I want to waive it into my pension thats fine, but if it comes as cash - they want half.

Thats from the horses mouth.

Regards

i
gettingoutofdebt Posted - 19 March 2010 : 13:13:23
quote:

I am getting confused about bonuses, do I have to declare it and will they take it? If they are taking 70% of a £150 bonus, this seems in conflict with earlier posts?

Regards

i

You don't need to declare the bonus and the OR won't take it. Xmas Baby wasn't discharged until a few weeks ago so his bonus, or 70% of it, was taken as he was still BR in December.
indy2005 Posted - 19 March 2010 : 12:09:44
quote:
Originally posted by xmas baby

I had an annual bonus of £150 in December and I informed RTLU and he took 70% of it (£70). would have thought he would have said I could keep it as it only happens once a year and it was hardly a substantial amount. I must have been unlucky and had a jobsworth.

xmas baby

Was this post discharge?
indy2005 Posted - 19 March 2010 : 12:07:32
Hi,

I appreciate all advice! Just saying that if I want to alter my benefits package at work to cover additional child care, it doesnt alter my IPA at all. I am not asking for more holiday budget, I am just using some additional pay to buy additional holidays - as opposed to me reducing my IPA payment to cover addtional child care. I will tell them about my 1.5 % in April, and then in July - redo my IPOQ again because the 1.5% will not be on my pay slip any more.

Regards

i

gettingoutofdebt Posted - 19 March 2010 : 11:33:54
quote:

Hi,

I did it last year and told the RTLU that I had had a pay rise but due to child care commitments I needed to use the money to fund some addtional days off. They were fine with it, and thanked me for telling them. I dont think its unreasonable to buy an extrat 2 days a year when you have small children. To me, that IS my call to make - unless the OR is willing to babysit for me at half term ;-). They cant tell me how to look after my children, or how many days off a year I am allowed to take.

i

But they can tell you what you are entitled to list in your I&E for your IPA and you have agreed to this with the form you would have signed when the IPA was agreed with the OR.

At the end of the day whether you want to inform the OR of the pay increase is up to you. All people on this board can do is advise you.
xmas baby Posted - 19 March 2010 : 11:15:43
I had an annual bonus of £150 in December and I informed RTLU and he took 70% of it (£70). would have thought he would have said I could keep it as it only happens once a year and it was hardly a substantial amount. I must have been unlucky and had a jobsworth.

xmas baby
indy2005 Posted - 19 March 2010 : 09:36:35
Hi,

I did it last year and told the RTLU that I had had a pay rise but due to child care commitments I needed to use the money to fund some addtional days off. They were fine with it, and thanked me for telling them. I dont think its unreasonable to buy an extrat 2 days a year when you have small children. To me, that IS my call to make - unless the OR is willing to babysit for me at half term ;-). They cant tell me how to look after my children, or how many days off a year I am allowed to take.

i
gettingoutofdebt Posted - 19 March 2010 : 09:09:49
A 1.5% pay increase should be declared to the OR. Don't forget that the OR/MoonBeever can request pay statements from you at any time until the IPA has ended so it is always best to be honest.

It may be that your expenses (petrol, travel, utility bills) have also increased so your IPA amount may stay the same but this is for the OR to decide.

Domestic breaks aren't always allowed by the OR so using the pay rise to fund additional holidays isn't really your decision to make.
indy2005 Posted - 18 March 2010 : 19:05:31
quote:
Originally posted by gettingoutofdebt

Once you have been discharged any one off bonuses, lottery wins, etc. are yours to keep even if you pay an IPA.

If an extra amount (i.e. overtime, etc.) occurs on a regular basis then you would need to inform the OR and they IPA amount would probably change.

Prior to discharge you would need to inform the OR of the bonus.

Thanks, thats great news! I get it every year, although the amount varies - and they took it all last year prior to discharge. DO I have to declare an extract 1.5% pay? I plan on using this to fund additional holidays so my technical salary in pocket wont increase.

Regards

i

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page