Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for june
 I am Bankrupt but more advice needed, Please!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
applebabe Posted - 05 June 2008 : 21:26:27
Hi Everyone who helped calm me down prior to my bankruptcy, too many to mention but you know who you are!
Ok didn't sleep a wink last night got up at 5am the guy who sent me the forms at the court said you must be here before 9am, so off I went to get the bus and then the train and arrived at court at 8.20am first one there!
Waited a while then eventually someone asked if I was there for insolvency I said yes and she said oh, well they dont open until 10am!!
Ok I thought I will be first, no wrong when the doors opened two big guys who had only been there 15 mins pushed in front of me and I thought oh great start
I wasn't going to argue didn't have the energy
Then when I got to the counter she said I had to go to the other side of the building to get a form I needed which hadn't been sent in my papers, so off I went anyway to cut a long story short I actually went in to see the lady judge at 12.30.
She was amazing so sweet and understanding and said "today may seem like the worst day of your life but it isn't it is the first step to a brand new enjoyable debt free life" and I thought wow!
Then I had to go back to the waiting room and wait again.
The lady came out and gave me my papers in a sealed envelope and sent me off to see my insolvency officer, who was also really nice, she is going to write to me in the next few weeks and my interview will be over the phone, but in the meantime she said ANY problems do not hesitate to ring her and she will sort it out.
She offered to speak to my bank and let me keep my account but to be honest my bank have treated me very badly over the last few months I have been with them for 20 years and they did not seem to want to keep my custom so I said no its ok, she then suggested the co-op account which I am going to do tomorrow.
So all in all it was a stressful day but very productive, and very eye opening
So first part over now just the dreaded interview
Thanks everyone,
Maxine x
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
applebabe Posted - 09 June 2008 : 16:19:50
Hi Vicki,

Yes I know exactly what you mean!

I think without all this help I would of just carried on and on putting it off.

I still feel a little worried but when I do I usually just ask on here and the response and support I have had is amazing.

I do hope that I to may be able to help others with the advice I have had on here, even if its to just try and help them feel they are not alone!

Maxine x
m and v Posted - 09 June 2008 : 14:03:59
It's a pleasure Maxine - I owe so much to this forum for the suport I have received that supporting others is my way of "paying back"

Vicki x
JulianDonnelly Posted - 09 June 2008 : 12:27:31
Hi Maxine,

Delighted we could help!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
applebabe Posted - 09 June 2008 : 12:17:30
Hi Vicki and Julian,

LOL! Vicki you are sooo right!

As my gran always used to say to me " If they are talking about you, then they will be leaving someone else alone"

Your support to me during my bankruptcy has been a lifesaver, and I am sure I will still have a few more questions after my interview but knowing you are here is great!

I hope most of the hard bits will be over when I have my interview, then it will be onward and upward!!!

Thanks
Maxine x
JulianDonnelly Posted - 09 June 2008 : 10:31:08
Hi Maxine,

You should be ok then. It will be down to the OR whether they write to your employer or not.

Regards

Julian Donnelly
m and v Posted - 09 June 2008 : 10:29:03
Brilliant news Maxine......good old co-op cashminder!!
You can enjoy your job now and not worry about gossip-girl!!

Vicki x
applebabe Posted - 09 June 2008 : 10:24:35
Hi
Well, i've just got off the phone, I have been accepted for a co-op cashminder account. WHOOPEE!
As for the income tax issue I do not pay income tax as I do not earn enough, I cant work full time as I am disabled, so I dont pay tax and my income is bumped up with income support.
Maxine x
JulianDonnelly Posted - 09 June 2008 : 10:06:44
Hi Maxine,

i can't think why changing your bank account would effect your employment. However, in the financial year your are undischarged, you pay no tax so it is likely the OR will write to your employer to put you on a NT tax code.

Regards

Julian Donnelly
m and v Posted - 09 June 2008 : 07:46:08
Hi applebabe - I wouldn't worry about that either - I only earn £435 a month and our rent and council tax etc are much more than I earn personally and I opened just a sole account.
Think its just a standard question to verify you work and are on the electoral roll etc.

I am sure you will be ok with the co-op - if they know you need account details quickly they may be able to do their bit quicker!
The bank bit won't be directly connected to the healthcare bit.
Hope you get on ok today and well done for getting the job x

Vicki x
applebabe Posted - 08 June 2008 : 19:56:11
Hi again Julian,
Thanks for your help again.
I am going to ask at a few banks on my day off tomorrow.
Just one more thing, IF I go for co op will it affect my new job as they are my new employer, and I have not told them?
I rang them yesterday to ask what info I needed and I was a bit unsure as the guy said they want to know how much rent I pay and how much council tax I pay?

Maxine x
JulianDonnelly Posted - 07 June 2008 : 20:35:36
Hi Maxine,

To be honest, there are too many to mention. I picked the first one I found and have never had any issues. I believe moneysupermarket may be able to help as well, but I've not checked it out personally.

Regards

Julian Donnelly
applebabe Posted - 07 June 2008 : 16:30:57
Hi Julian,
PHEW! As long as I know I dont have to tell her then i feel im back in control just!
Which of the prepay cards have the best reputation?
Thanks for all your advice Julian
Maxine x
JulianDonnelly Posted - 07 June 2008 : 16:21:20
Hi Maxine,

No need for you to formerly notify your creditors as the OR will advertise your BR in the local paper as well as the London Gazette adnd the Stubbs Gazette, both of which are closely monitored by all the financial institutions. I just wanted to as I was fed up with all the phone calls and wanted the satisfaction of telling them personally :)

You do not HAVE to tell your manager, but the OR will write to your employer to put you on a NT (no tax) tax code. My advice is to be upfront about it, but talk about it quite casually as if it's no big deal ... that way, your manager may not see the point in gossiping too much if it doesn't seem to bother you.

Have you considered a pre-pay credit card account as another option. These can be set up quickly and will at least give you a "debit card" type facility for an average monthly fee of circa £5.

Regards

Julian Donnelly
applebabe Posted - 07 June 2008 : 16:08:13
Hi Julian,
My OR has given me a stack of printed letters telling my creditors I am a bankrupt, but she said I dont have to tell them by post or any other way, that it is up to me!
I do feel so guilty about my work situation it has made my elation at getting through the interviews and getting the job, to dismay!
Do I HAVE to tell my manager that I am a bankrupt or not?
I am reluctant as she seems to be a bit of a gossip and I have overheard her gossiping about other members of staff to, so chances are it would be the talk of the pharmacy, which to be honest I need like a hole in the head!
I am off on Monday and so I am going into our village to trawl around all the banks to see if anyone will accept me.
This will be my 4th week of working there and so I should get paid by next Thursday but as I still do not have a bank account and my manager has said they will not pay it into my partners account and has refused to ring them and ask,GGRRRRR!
It looks like a no!
Problem being my partner has also started a new monthly paid job and he also will not get paid until next week fingers crossed.
Any advice as to how to proceed?
Thanks everyone,
Maxine x

JulianDonnelly Posted - 07 June 2008 : 15:55:30
Hi Maxine,

I couldn't wait to get on the phone and tell my creditors..... the phone calls stopped immediately, and I thought for a minute I'd gone deaf!

Regards

Julian Donnelly

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page