Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 I have my court date, what to expect?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
homerjay1973 Posted - 13 December 2011 : 17:27:21
After extensive advice from my friendly CAB advisor, many phone calls to the Insolvency Service helpline and a couple of forum posts on here, I have finished my paperwork and I have today been given a court date of next Wednesday. I am both excited that I could have this whole mess behind me in time for the holidays and nervous in case I have filled in something wrong and I don't know what to expect

I'm sure that this has been asked a hundred times already but what happens at court? All I have been told is that I should be there for 9.30am with two copies of my papers or three copies if I want one signed and sealed for my own records.

Is there an accepted dress code? How long does it take? questions questions questions.....
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steve Thatcher Posted - 06 January 2012 : 11:25:33
I am so glad you posted yoru experience here homerjay as it will provide a good pointer to people that the bankruptcy process isn't all that scary and that It can lift gloom and depression within hours.

Good luck with the next twelve months. I suspect that you may not hear anythinbg else from your OR at all and will simply get your automatic discharge in 12 months

Steve Thatcher
Viki.W Posted - 04 January 2012 : 14:09:27
I'm so glad everything went well for you. Best wishes from me for a happy debt free new year.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
homerjay1973 Posted - 04 January 2012 : 12:11:49
Well, just had my telephone interview with the OR. All pretty painless but then again I don't really have much that he needed to talk about. Lots of creditors, that he pretty much skimmed over with a cheery, 'so the credit cards were run up to supplement income, yes?'.... I have no bank accounts, own no property and have no assets. My Pension can't be touched and we will be given the opportunity to buy back our interest in my Life Insurance policy for fifty quid or just leave it and hope I don't die in the next 12 months (I'm only 38 so fingers crossed).

I spent almost 18 months thinking about doing this, worrying about it, not knowing what would happen or how it would affect things but I have to say that so far the process and been straight forward and painless. This forum has been a help, my local CAB advisor was great and the Insolvency Service helpline has always been there to answer any questions too. MY experience in Court was very quick (turned up for a 9.30 appointment and was declared BR before a Judge 19 minutes later) and my OR interview has been very straight forward but my situation is about as simple as it could be. My only concern has been that going BR does not affect my Partner's financial status and we seem to have achieved that.
I would advise anyone thinking about going BR to not worry about it. Ask on here, read, read and read again all the paperwork that is involved to make sure you know what they are asking for and ask your local CAB debt advisor to help you. I'm not happy that I have had to do this but the fact is that I had to, I've done it and now I can start planning what happens next. A huge weight has been lifted and for the first time in years I am not worrying every time the phone rings or the postie comes.
glafy Posted - 25 December 2011 : 01:44:33
Good Luck homerjay1973
I'm sure all will be fine. Have all your paperwork to hand plus a stiff drink.!!!!

Let us know how things progress.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Niobe Posted - 23 December 2011 : 18:12:24
I'm sure it will be fine.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
homerjay1973 Posted - 23 December 2011 : 16:31:26
Court told me I would get a phone call Wednesday afternoon. Finally got the call this afternoon (Friday) and having a telephone interview on 4th Jan.
Niobe Posted - 23 December 2011 : 16:03:15
Thanks debtinfo, wasn't aware that it had changed.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Jan
xxx
debtinfo Posted - 23 December 2011 : 13:31:15
it used to be Kallis, it does vary accross the country, but most of the time now you go home and get the initial call later, but it depends on what the local court and OR have agreed
Niobe Posted - 22 December 2011 : 17:08:29
Did you not have an initial call as soon as you were declared BR? I think that's what normally happens.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Jan
xxx
homerjay1973 Posted - 22 December 2011 : 16:55:17
Still waiting for my phone call from the OR. Think I'll gave them a ring in the morning.
Niobe Posted - 21 December 2011 : 14:26:57
Glad you giot that sorted. Best of luck with your OR interview.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Jan
xxx
homerjay1973 Posted - 21 December 2011 : 14:20:21
Well, it's done. I had a 9.30 appointment in court this morning and was out by 10:10. Most of that time was spent waiting for the Clerk to prepare the paperwork and arrange for me to see a Judge, which I did for all of 2 minutes while he explained procedure and asked me if I had taken correct legal advice before proceeding with Bankruptcy.

And that was that.

I wasn't nervous until I actually walked into the court building but there was no need to be. I have spent months researching this and have spoken to many people about the process and the paperwork. I left court with mixed emotions. I am still unemployed and skint, but I no longer owe a mountain of debt. I am now waiting for my telephone call from the OR.

and YES, I did leave court wondering what I (or rather my parents) had just spent 700 quid on :o)
homerjay1973 Posted - 14 December 2011 : 10:43:31
Thanks for the replies guys, This is the end of a process that I have been debating with myself for about 18 months, hoping that I would find work and I wouldn't have to do it but I guess there comes a time when enough is enough.
I will be sure to buy a newspaper on the way into town just in case I'm there a while and assuming everything goes to plan, I will be treating myself to a large Starbucks and a sticky bun afterwards :)
glafy Posted - 14 December 2011 : 08:27:35
I can only agree with debtinfo's post.
We didn't see a judge & were in and out, wondering where our Court fees had gone!
It is a rather overwhelming environment but remember that you are just 1 of many, many people through the court that day.

Wear something comfortable, I did dress a bit smarter than usual but that was because it made me feel more confident

We received a phone call from the clerk to the OR later that day & were then given a telephone interview date for later in the week. This obviously differs from area to area.

Good Luck on Wednesday & keep us informed.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
debtinfo Posted - 13 December 2011 : 18:54:05
missed out, there is no dress code, but if it was me i would dress smartish, wont make any differnce to the result, although i dont think anyone has ever tested it yet with a borat style mankini

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page