Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 should i go bankrupt??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
staceb Posted - 06 September 2008 : 18:13:23
was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice please???!

When my partner left me,he also left me with some debt,an since then i began to struggle making payments.Finally i went into debt management but after only a couple of months i was really struggling to make the payments.i went to citizens advice and they advised me to take on the debt companies myself,rather than paying a company.The lady i saw was very unsympathetic!
i have recently sent letters to all my creditors,an three of them have refused my new offer!
i have also had letters threatening court!
I know there are lots of other people in worse situations than me,but i do feel like i'm sinking,and not sleeping because i'm so worried!
i've read up on bankruptcy and that sounds scarey too!
is there anyone who can give me some advice??!! xx
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Needafriend Posted - 09 September 2008 : 11:37:42
Hi Stace

One more thing, for me and many others on here it has been the help of this site that has got us through, being able to share your problems and feelings and by not feeling alone anymore.

For me i have just managed, maybe its the nursee side of me that wants to help but i like to be able to make everyones life a little better and by giving my time on here i know that even though i dont have all the answers i have some understanding that we can get there in the end.

Jo x

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"
You can read my updated Needafriend's New Life- A Debt Free One! blog here:
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend Posted - 09 September 2008 : 11:34:37
No dont misread that what i wrote that is how creditors can do it.
The phone number is at the top of the page but its

0800 078 9367

Give them a call. You need to find out for def what options are for you.

Jo x

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"
staceb Posted - 09 September 2008 : 11:29:23
how do i talk to the experts?? haha that sounds dumb!!!! so you can go bankrupt if you own more than £750 then.god i wish i never got myself in this bloody mess!!!!
think one of the reason i want to go bankrupt is because i want a second chance really,to learn from my mistakes.as well as not having the horrible feelin of everyone being after you anymore ha!!
it sounds like you have had a pretty rough time!
worse than what i'm moaning about,how you do it?
Needafriend Posted - 09 September 2008 : 11:23:03
Good Luck Stace

Give John or Julian a call, its free you know and it may be worthwhile to have a verbal conversation about your options.

Jo x

staceb Posted - 09 September 2008 : 11:20:26
thankyou maizie ill have a look x
369 Posted - 09 September 2008 : 11:11:10
Hello,

I went bankrupt in Nov 07, and am now just waiting to be discharged in Nov 08. It has been a really tough year though...seperating from my partner, moving house, moving jobs, going bankrupt but I will be glad when Nov this year comes around and I can carry on making a fresh start!

As far as I know I think that "normally" you should be at least £15,000 in debt before thinking about bankruptcy - although I dont know if this is written in stone.

An IVA (Individual Voluntary Arrangment) is like a Debt Management Plan, where you pay a certain amount back each month for a certain amount of years and then after this time the remaining balance is wiped - that is what I have been told by an IVA company.

I would ask an expert to be honest, as you are already in a Debt Management Plan and it is not working out for you. As you have £7,500 in debts and no way of realistically paying it back soon, and no assets then maybe bankruptcy is the best option - but I would think about it very carefully first and talk to an expert like John or Julian....

Hope that helps!
Needafriend Posted - 09 September 2008 : 11:00:43
Hi i just found this dont know if its helps its from
http://www.clearstart.org/bankruptcy-faqs.php#faq1

"1. How Does the Bankruptcy Process Work?

If you want to declare yourself bankrupt you have to start the process by filing a Bankruptcy Petition (Debtor's Petition).

Or your creditors can file a Bankruptcy Petition Creditor's Petition) against you if you owe them more than £750.

Once you the bankruptcy petition has been filed, a court date will be set for the initial hearing to see if a Bankruptcy Order should be made. Once a Bankruptcy Order has been made, you will be declared bankrupt."

I cant find anything that says how much you need to owe before u can consider BR.

Jo x

maizie Posted - 09 September 2008 : 10:52:41
Staceb

Check this out on the IVA forum

http://www.iva.co.uk/guide_starting_an_iva.asp

x

Maizie
maizie Posted - 09 September 2008 : 10:50:27
Correct me if I am wrong anybody but I think the debt has to be at least £15,000.

Maizie
staceb Posted - 09 September 2008 : 10:39:01
hi 369 it does make sense...i think!! haha
to be honest i dont really know what IVA is,but i thought you had to be in a lot more debt than i am??
i was on debt managemet and that was £100 a month,i dont think even with my promotion ill have that much left.
are you going through bankruptcy??
369 Posted - 09 September 2008 : 10:25:34
I know what you are going through....always getting the letters through the door.....just try and file them all together and if you go bankrupt you can then forget all about them!

Regarding your promotion, this will not make any difference to you going Bankrupt. However, obviously your income with increase, and therefore you may have more disposable income at the end of each month, which, if it is a large amount, could mean that you will be offered an IVA as an option as your debt is £7,500 rather than bankruptcy.

But, if it is only a small amount and your disposable income stays at £50 a month then bankruptcy should be the way forward...

Hope that makes sense!
staceb Posted - 08 September 2008 : 19:48:50
got yet another letter today an everytime i get one i s**t myself!! this company has sort of accepted my offer,and i know i said i was ignoring them now until my bankruptcy its scarey!!!
i will be up for promotion in the next few weeks and was just wanting to make sure if this will affect me going bankrupt,if anyone can help??
Needafriend Posted - 07 September 2008 : 11:11:59
Good Luck Stace,

Your very welcome!

Keep us informed on how things go and dont forget to keep asking those questions.

And Remember To Keep Smiling
Jo :)

You can read my updated blog here:
staceb Posted - 07 September 2008 : 10:53:38
i think i am just gonna do it,with the help of my mum of course!! but there is no way i can get the money together before,so ill just have to wait for my brother,bless him!
you have been a help so thankyou very much,i'm sure i'll be asking more questions ;-) x
Needafriend Posted - 07 September 2008 : 10:25:36
Hi Stace
That is fine i dont mind thats what im here for.
There is no other way you can get the fees together before, it can take a while for the credit companies to do anything like court etc, that depends on what you have received by now, we took 12 weeks from thinking to doing so i would say GO FOR IT.
If you want tell them but i waited and did not say anything, i did write and explain that i needed 2 months to get myself sorted then i would get back in touch, that gave me a bit of grace, then we went BR.
I did still get letters and calls but i just said im trying to get it sorted, i asked for 2 months and gave the date as the 1st of Sept.

Good luck, and thanks for the words about my blog. I try and make people laugh, life is way too short and i just wanted people to feel at ease.

And Remember To Keep Smiling
Jo :)

You can read my updated blog here:

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page