Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Bank Account

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
frosie90 Posted - 08 March 2009 : 20:47:56
I opened a new basic Nat West account, no o/d, cheque book, simply a Maestro debit card. I opened it at the beginning of February in preparation for an IVA which I chose not to do. I have no debts with Nat West but use it for my salary to paid into household bills etc. I was hoping to present my Statement of Affairs round about 23rd of this month but my salary will have gone in 21st with my direct debits coming out thereonafter until approx 11th April. Will this account be frozen? I know on previous posts there have been discussions about this but it says on the on-line form to detail all bank accounts currently held?
I know i am being repetitious of others in my question and apologise but just want extra clarification. Many thanks.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
frosie90 Posted - 10 March 2009 : 21:53:17
Yep, reckon so. i will phone them in the morning and see? In the words of the adorable Doris Day, "Que sera, sera" and if they can't change date, it was meant to be? I Just think, although the awesome experts on this site may correct me, that I just need to remember that my Tax will be included in my IPA ontop of my disposable income. So basically, Frosie90!!!, hands off?
LastResort Posted - 10 March 2009 : 21:44:32
Personally I would go for the earliest date possible. Don't worry too much about your DD's. I cancelled all of mine. My car insurance etc will have to contact me to say that I missed a payment. I will act innocent and pretend I hadn't realised, and cross that bridge when I come to it x
frosie90 Posted - 10 March 2009 : 21:34:17
Well unfortunately the first available date in B'ham was 3rd which I know is still in this Fin/Tax Year (as I think it runs to about the 5th or 6th?? so should really have taken that one??? I should ring them again, tomorrow, and see if any times then still available for the 3rd? I think I was basing my date too much on my direct debits and the fear of having my bank account frozen that compelled me to opt for the 7th.
LastResort Posted - 10 March 2009 : 21:24:50
Thanks x

Well I cant help you as I'm new to all this. Have you had a chat with anyone? I spoke to Melanie on the phone, she helped me a lot.

Can you bring your court date forward at all? So that it's in March?
frosie90 Posted - 10 March 2009 : 21:17:50
Well that's what I thought?? I am waiting for the Letting Agency to come back to me.
I am getting bit worried now about all the threads relating to Nil Tax. I am filing on 7th April so will get Nil code for the whole of the year!!!! I know that it means, effectively, that the Inland Revenue become a creditor? Presumably then that if find, not taking tax into account, that I have, say, £250 DI that they will add the tax I usually pay onto that? so I would presumably pay 50-70% of my DI plus my normal tax payment? I don't know? Maybe I need to post yet another question??? What a fab site! So heartening to talk to people in the same boat. Good luck for 19th btw.
LastResort Posted - 10 March 2009 : 21:10:32
lol

I rent my property. I chose my own providers for gas/elec. I would have thought that it was up to you, not them, because you are the one who pays for it....
frosie90 Posted - 10 March 2009 : 21:02:37
Thanks for that LastResort. I found out today that at my new rented place the landlord might prefer me to keep the provider he/she had according to Letting Agency and the LA said that is normal? I was hoping to just transfer my gas/electric over but you never know they may be the same provider anyway??? My water and community charge will be a different district so will need to sign up as a "newbie" anyway I think. Have booked my court date! .... more questions that have popped in my head are in another link. Thought of the day .... I reckon all of us pre-BRs should up our optician bills on our I/E sheets massively due to the amount of time we are on the computer!! Lol!
LastResort Posted - 10 March 2009 : 20:53:51
Thanks pigsick, i hadn't realised that they could freeze an account that you hadn't put on the form! I've arranged for my salary to go in to my Mom's account for March, to be on the safe side, aswell as my tax credits. At least I know I have access to my money.

Frosie, re my utilities, I just said I was having some problems changing bank accounts so I need an alternative payment method for now. They didn't mind at all.
frosie90 Posted - 10 March 2009 : 19:41:24
Thanks for that. Yep. I have now booked my court date, 7th April!! All my direct debits bar two will have gone through. I will make arrangements with them to pay alternative way and then either on the 7th???? depending how long I am in court I will go to Co-op and open a Cashminder. I will then have time to change all by future DDs to the Co-op. I will ring the Co-op and see if that possible? Thanks Guys.
pigsick Posted - 09 March 2009 : 23:42:38
Hi maybe not much help, but I was not as orgainised as you all seem to be, I am with Barclays, when i was made bankrupt 12th feb, they said they had no interest in my account, I did not even think about direct debts etc, anyway I went to Tesco at the weekend and my card had been stopped, tried to get on the internet and access was denied, I went into the bank today and I can still keep the account I have always had, but my card is being replaced with an Electron card and I will not be able to do Internet banking on my account anymore. Just a word or warning if you have any account open on the day you go bankrupt, they will be frozen. I got letters from accounts I had not used for a long time and had not put on my bankruptcy petition, but the banks still picked it up and froze them. All the advcie I have had is to approach the Coop and open an account with them.
frosie90 Posted - 09 March 2009 : 23:11:53
Thanks for that LastResort. Did you tell the utilities why you were asking for the cards? I think I might do that. I think for me maybe Co-op seems best bet but reckon that if I time it right, or the court give me a date at the right time, I may manage to transfer all direct debits. I am just worried as I am about to pay my deposit and first monthly rental through my NatWest, and sign up to a standing order for subsequent payments. I am not sure whether to be honest with the Letting Agency but I would hate my rental to be revoked or anything. I am moving out of my mortgaged house on 21st.
LastResort Posted - 09 March 2009 : 22:06:32
I applied for Natwest Step and Co-Op accounts, to see which would accept me. I've been accepted for the Co-Op one but haven't heard from the Natwest one yet.

As the Cop-Op one is a current account, I explained that I'm going to declare myself BR and they said that they will freeze the account (or it wil be frozen by the OR- not sure which she meant) for 48 hours. She said they 'unfreeze' accounts quicker than anyone else, not sure how true that is.

She also said that when I'm BR, all I need to do is ring them and switch my account to a basic cashminder. She seemed like she was used to it and I felt relieved.

As a precaution, I have arranged for all my income to be paid into my Mom's bank account until I know the new account is safe. I have also arranged for payment cards to be sent out for my utilities etc, in the mean time.
frosie90 Posted - 09 March 2009 : 20:41:50
Thanks for responses. I think I will ring Co-op and ask them if I can open a Cashminder account but will explain my situation. I think I will book the court date for after most of my direct debits have gone through then cancel any future payments, then as I wont have much money left in my account by then as I will have paid my deposit for my new accommodation except for the remaining two direct debits and for food and take that out prior to the court date to pay into the new Co-op account. When you attend court is your current bank account frozen there and then and as such any remaining balance kept by the court?

shirley Posted - 09 March 2009 : 07:35:54
I had a Natwest STEP account prior to BR. I contacted them after my hearing, told them the OR had no interest in my bank account and was told that the decision to close the account is made on an individual basis but they had to wait until they received a letter from the OR declaring no interest. It can take up to 3 weeks. In the end it took a week and a half and I was allowed to keep the account but they would not let me keep my e-savings account. I had cancelled all my direct debits on the STEP account prior to bankruptcy and contacted the companies to explain the situation and where I could made alternative arrangements to pay them until I could find another bank account. All of them were very helpful. i was lucky in that a friend allowed me to pay my salary into their account while I was waiting for the decision from the bank. In the meantime I was accepted by Co-op for a cashminder account just in case.

hope this helps

Shirley.

One day at a time
sjbyron Posted - 08 March 2009 : 23:49:05
Hi From experience Natwest wont offer accounts to undischarged bankrupts, if they found out you are bankrupt they will close the account.

They however will offer a savings account with a solo debit card attached called first reserve this can be used for wages but their is no protection if the employer makes an error with the payment.

Halifax, BOS, LloydsTSB and Sainsburys Bank all wont accept bankrupts either undischarged or discharged

Have you tried Cooperative Bank, or Barclays bank or one of the managed account services.

Stu J Byron

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page