Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Bank account problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
memphisd56 Posted - 24 March 2009 : 11:18:33
Hi, I was made Bankrupt on 27th Feb. I`m having problems opening a basic bank account. The only bank left is Barclays, as the co-op was one of my creditors....and i have tried everyone else!. I went into Barclays this morning, and although i failed to open one due to my Passport being out of date, the manager did say that it might still be a problem, due to the current economic climate!. I thought that the banks can`t lose, with a basic account, as there isn`t any interest paid, also, you can`t spend what you don`t have, so the bank can only make money on cash you have in your account.

Is it likely that i won`t be able to get a bank account??.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Skippy Posted - 28 March 2009 : 13:09:11
I think you can also set up direct debits from the Tuxedo card as well. I never used mine for that. I only used it as a pre paid card, but I was really happy with it.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

21 IPA payments made, 15 to go - on the home straight!
ripski Posted - 28 March 2009 : 08:23:56
I think Tuxedo may have a wages pay in facility. I havent used mine for this though as yet. £10 start up fee and £ 5.00 a month. It is realy useful for paying bills and shopping.

ripski1
sjbyron Posted - 27 March 2009 : 22:16:39
Hi

I had a cashminder account prior to IVA and then BR, and coop wouldnt let me open a new one, they froze it when I went into an IVA but then unfroze it when I went BR, they wouldnt let me open another one as I had no history on the account. So I dont think the coop would let you open a new account at the moment, why dont you put £10 in the account let them send you a new card and then start having wages paid in, it should be ok though.

Best of Luck

Stu J Byron
memphisd56 Posted - 27 March 2009 : 21:39:09
It`s certainly worth a try!...I`ll call them on Monday. and let you know the results.

Thanks, skippy
Skippy Posted - 27 March 2009 : 21:28:47
Just a thought, but it might be worth you opening a new Cashminder account now that you are bankrupt. I think this is how people who had the Co-op as a creditor managed to get an account with them - no harm in asking!

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

memphisd56 Posted - 27 March 2009 : 21:24:58
Thanks for letting me know. The guy at Co-op said that i had to pay a wage in before i could have a new card, (i gave mine to the O.R)...but since the Visa account thats listed in my petition, is showing in the online banking, i thought it best to wait a while before i tried to re-open the account, as i know they have the right to take available funds from another account held with them. I can survive without a bank account for a while, at least until the O.R has been in touch with my creditors.

Thanks for all your imput...i thought that bankruptcy was a thing to hide from, and hang ones head in shame....but i don`t now, and it`s thanks to this site, and the people, who, like me, deserve a fresh start.
sjbyron Posted - 27 March 2009 : 21:21:21
Hi

II owed Coop money before my BR, they wouldnt let me have an account when I had an IVA, however when I went BR, They said it is fine to have an account with them, as they believe that its a fresh start, they even let me speak to the account underwriter as i wouldnt believe them.

Thinkbanking is a good concept and a good account to and the address for Payroll is

Royal Bank of Scotland CCMS Thinkbanking aco****s PO BOX 666, Bolton.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Stu J Byron
hardygirls Posted - 27 March 2009 : 19:34:02
quote:
Originally posted by memphisd56

Well, since the Co-op is a creditor...that puts paid to a cashminder account!

Just to let you know, I have just opened a Cashminder account with Co-op. I was suprised they let me, as I owed them a subtantial amount when I went bankrupt on March 4th 2009. I told them about the debt, and they said "we look at this account as giving people a new start after bankruptcy", and that the Co-op credit card debt didn't matter.

I had opened an account with Barclays, but they won't let bankrupts have online banking - which is ridiculous in my opinion - how do you keep track of your account activity I wonder? They refuse to issue monthly statements. I don't like telephone banking - I prefer to see what's going on in my account! For this reason, I will probably move everything to the Co-op account now as they offer online banking. (Far more polite and helpful on the phone too!)

memphisd56 Posted - 26 March 2009 : 14:52:15
Well, since the Co-op is a creditor...that puts paid to a cashminder account!, so Think Banking is an option..but then NatWest is a creditor too, and i`m not sure if they are linked, but it`s my next port of call!. I have found out about some of the banks that are linked at: http://www.payplan.com/debt-library/miscellaneous.php

Thanks for your help, guys...
Niobe Posted - 26 March 2009 : 14:42:38
This is what is says in the small print on their website:

The think banking account is a managed bank account run by think banking and held with the Royal Bank of Scotland.

think banking, Pennington House, Carolina Way, South Langworthy Road, Salford Quays, M50 2ZY

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Skippy Posted - 26 March 2009 : 14:07:41
It's 2 years since I was with them, and then only for a month (their customer service was so poor) so my memory is a little hazy! I don't know about a branch address, but I think you can pay in money at any RBS or Natwest branch.

mick1972a Posted - 26 March 2009 : 12:44:28
Skippy I am thinking of joining think but i will have to put an address down for the bank for my payroll at work. Do they have a branch address and can you pay in cash at any branch.
Skippy Posted - 26 March 2009 : 12:40:25
It's usually me who's beaten!

I was with Think for a short while and I wasn't impressed with the lack of customer service, but I think they've got internet banking now which would be a big improvement.

The other option is a prepaid card - I think the Tuxedo card now allows you to set up direct debits from it.

memphisd56 Posted - 26 March 2009 : 12:29:09
Beaten by a couple of mins!!
memphisd56 Posted - 26 March 2009 : 12:26:53
Yes...But they charge £25 set up, and £12.50 pm. The good thing is, that they run 2 accounts for you, so your wages/benefits get paid into one of them, then they keep back enough for your d/ds e.t.c, and transfer the rest into a card account for you to use...seems a good idea...

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page