Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 are bankruptcies still posted in local newspapers?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dave.wt1 Posted - 03 January 2010 : 05:22:57
are bankruptcies for individuals still posted in local newspapers?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
debtinfo Posted - 21 February 2010 : 08:36:56
Yes you can add whatever expenses you will genuinly need. I think the things you have mentioned are things that should be on there
dave.wt1 Posted - 21 February 2010 : 01:04:46
Thanks guys 'n' girls for the 3 years IPA info.

What about the other part of my post though?

"Also can I add extra things like dentist, optician, hairdresser and holidays!(as Skippy was allowed these by the OR) because I never thought to include these when I filled out my monthly expenses on the BR forms?"

debtinfo Posted - 20 February 2010 : 21:51:29
of course an obvious IPA that was shorter than 3 years would be a Nil Tax only IPA
Niobe Posted - 20 February 2010 : 21:43:03
Must admit that I've not heard of that one. I thought they were all for three years.

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
debtinfo Posted - 20 February 2010 : 21:11:52
Although an IPA is almost universally for three years it does not have to be. It cant be more than 3 years but could be less, Sometimes an IPA and be given for just one payment for something like a one off bonus
Niobe Posted - 20 February 2010 : 20:21:56
An IPA, if you get one, is always for three years.

Anything over £99 DI and you will pay between 50 and 70% of that across.

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
dave.wt1 Posted - 19 February 2010 : 03:25:23
Back to my life after BR. I still feel like I've got a lot to learn about all this. In the meantime, have been reading about IPAs (just finished Skippy's informative and very useful blog). Not sure if I'll get one straight away as I don't know what my disposable income will be yet, as I'm yet to be paid for my increase in hours. Before the increase my D.I. was virtually zero pounds.

Assuming that I will get an IPA, how long do they last? Skippy's seems to be 3 years but does it vary from person to person and if so what are the determining factors? I've already learnt from Skippy that if I have more than £100 of D.I. then I'll have to hand over half but what else don't I know?

Also can I add extra things like dentist, optician, hairdresser and holidays!(as Skippy was allowed these by the OR) because I never thought to include these when I filled out my monthly expenses on the BR forms?

dave.wt1 Posted - 19 February 2010 : 03:13:50
Phew! Just about got through my BR...thought I wasn't going to make it at one stage, as the clerk checking my forms and getting me to swear and sign the affidavit wasn't happy with an undated letter.

Even though I had my 3 most recent wage slips with me reflecting my lower gross salary, the clerk seized on this letter showing my new increased gross as my employer hadn't dated it at the top.

I had been the one to raise the issue of whether to amend the gross salary on my forms, even though my new and old gross both fell under the max gross allowed of £13K (for a singleton with no kids). I had two contracts with the latest one only showing a date in the body of the letter when the change would be effective from, but without a date at the top of the letter. The clerk then left me sweating, literally for about 5 mins whilst he checked with his supervisor. I really thought this could be it because I had already borrowed some money from family to pay the £360 BR fee and just didn't have enough to pay the court fees, come what may. Fortunately, clerk returned to say, "she (his supervisor) has allowed it".

After that, everything went smoothly, with the lady at the counter, plus the usher and the deputy district judge all being very friendly. The judge even commented on the fact that we were both from the same town, some distance from where the court was. Then as I got up to leave the room he commented, "Well now the only only way is up." That left me with a smile on my face and helped to make the whole thing bearable. I have to say it's all been pretty smooth sailing so far, and a lot of that has been because I got to read Average Joe's blog at Xmas and all the helpful people on this forum, so a big, big thanks to you all again.

Housing Posted - 14 February 2010 : 18:35:14
I assume that you have something to show the rent is paid - bank statements? That should be all that is required.

As to whether your landlord declares his/her income is between them and the HMRC - it would only effect you if the lender sought a possession order from him - if his/her mortgage is up to date, should not matter.

I think focus upon your own issues and not your landlord at this stage.

Regards, Richard

quote:
Originally posted by debtinfo

Cant really say for the housing department as that is not my area, it will probably suffice for the OR.

I think this question is about the reasons you would give if you were petitioning at the wrong court for some reason (rather than the reasons for bankruptcy) and so is not applicable in your case

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and one of my best heroes!!)
debtinfo Posted - 14 February 2010 : 17:09:07
Cant really say for the housing department as that is not my area, it will probably suffice for the OR.

I think this question is about the reasons you would give if you were petitioning at the wrong court for some reason (rather than the reasons for bankruptcy) and so is not applicable in your case
dave.wt1 Posted - 14 February 2010 : 15:17:35
Thank you so much debtinfo...it really helps me big-time, as my BR petition is due in court this week.

I'm a bit worried about my landlord finding out. I know I may be unable to prevent it, although I'd like to try.

When I went to CAB recently, to my surprise, they said I would be entitled to have about half my rent paid for as housing benefit because my salary was so low and my rent relatively high. The CAB lady said I'd need something from my landlord though to show the housing dept. If I got my landlord to just sign a statement showing how much I pay each month and stating my rent was up-to-date, do you think that would suffice for both the OR and housing?

I just reckon the landlord is worried that he'll be found out for not declaring my rent, just like many other landlords.

Finally, just going back to the Debtor's BR Petition, in Qu'2 it states that "I have been residing at xxxx within the district of, for example, Durham county court. Then it says: "I'm presenting my petition to this court, as it is the nearest full-time county court to (g) county court, for the following reasons:"

Do I just repeat the name of the court in (g) and what reasons do you suggest I write?

Hope this is the last of my questions!

debtinfo Posted - 14 February 2010 : 09:14:32
quote:
Originally posted by dave.wt1

Thanks to 'Getting out of Debt' again for your last reply. I've now got a few things I'd like to ask about completing the BR forms.

(1)For the Debtor's BR Petition at Qu'1(f) it says: "My centre of main interests has been" / "I've had an establishment at...." -----should I just leave this blank as I've never had any business dealings or does it just mean my residential address? *Yes it does, you just cross out the bits that dont apply, your centre of main interest is where you have lived for the greater part of the last 6 months*

(2)With same form at Qu'4 it says: "I have not been adjudged bankrupt.." and then lists a few other things which are not appropriate for me. The no BR before applies to me but do I need to tick it as there is no box to do so? *again just cross out the ones that dont apply*

(3)With the Statement of Affairs on Section 3 Assets, it says "Cash in hand"....do I state how much cash I have left for myself? If so, isn't the OR likely to want it? On the other hand, if I state "none" won't they ask how I plan to live until pay day? * you put down what you have athome/in your wallett, the OR wont take it unless you have a suitcase of cash under your bed, the question is primarily for businesses who might have a large amount of cash in tills/safe's etc*

(4)In Section 4 do I have to list all my bank accounts and credit card debts in this section in "list of unsecured creditors"? If so, is the date incurred just when I started the account / credit card? *Yes you list them, the date incurred will be frst when you made a large purchse that took up most of the amount for example if you bought a car on the credit card, if you only made small purchases over a prolonged period of time then just put a range such as 2005-june 2009. It is more helpfull for the OR to know when you last used the card rather than when you took it out*

(5)What about the question "what was the debt for?" What do people tend to put there for credit card debts? Is the account number for credit cards just the long 16-digit number? * well only you will know what it was used for(there is no such thing as a good answer just a true one), yes it is the 16 didget number*

(6)In Section 5.4 it asks for any bank, building society accounts to be listed here with the amount owing? Don't I have to do the same here for the credit cards or do I just list their amounts in Section 4 unsecured creditors? *sec 5.4 is only for bank accounts, bank accounts can be in section 4, 5.2, and 5.4, credit cards can be in section 4 and 5.2*

(7)I can't see anywhere on any of the forms any request for copies of recent credit card statements, only bank accounts. Is this right? * you dont need to take any statements to court, the OR will later send you a letter asking you for what they require*

(8)In Section 6.7 it asks: "how much do other members of your household contribute each month to the household expenses?" The other members are my landlord and his wife, and I live with them, paying just rent with all bills included, so I don't know what to put about their contribution and mine, come to that. * this question does not apply to them as they are not part of your household(even though you live in the same house), someone like your partner or children would be*

(9)My situation is complicated as even though my rent is up-to-date, I don't have any formal rental agreement, so won't the OR demand something to show my rent is not behind? If he/she does, can I give it to them after the court date? The form says a "rent demand will help" but what exactly is it? * The OR will write to the landlord, all the landlord needs to do is write back and say that you have a verbal agreement the amount is £££ and it is up to date, that will be acceptable*

(10)Since I filled out the form and got my last wage slip 2 weeks ago, I've been given an increase in hours and therefore salary but it still does not exceed my limit for getting a full fees remission, so do I need to tell the OR this? * you need to put your wage on the form as it is now*

If any of the experts could help with these queries, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again

Hope that helps
dave.wt1 Posted - 14 February 2010 : 06:02:32
Thanks to 'Getting out of Debt' again for your last reply. I've now got a few things I'd like to ask about completing the BR forms.

(1)For the Debtor's BR Petition at Qu'1(f) it says: "My centre of main interests has been" / "I've had an establishment at...." -----should I just leave this blank as I've never had any business dealings or does it just mean my residential address?

(2)With same form at Qu'4 it says: "I have not been adjudged bankrupt.." and then lists a few other things which are not appropriate for me. The no BR before applies to me but do I need to tick it as there is no box to do so?

(3)With the Statement of Affairs on Section 3 Assets, it says "Cash in hand"....do I state how much cash I have left for myself? If so, isn't the OR likely to want it? On the other hand, if I state "none" won't they ask how I plan to live until pay day?

(4)In Section 4 do I have to list all my bank accounts and credit card debts in this section in "list of unsecured creditors"? If so, is the date incurred just when I started the account / credit card?

(5)What about the question "what was the debt for?" What do people tend to put there for credit card debts? Is the account number for credit cards just the long 16-digit number?

(6)In Section 5.4 it asks for any bank, building society accounts to be listed here with the amount owing? Don't I have to do the same here for the credit cards or do I just list their amounts in Section 4 unsecured creditors?

(7)I can't see anywhere on any of the forms any request for copies of recent credit card statements, only bank accounts. Is this right?

(8)In Section 6.7 it asks: "how much do other members of your household contribute each month to the household expenses?" The other members are my landlord and his wife, and I live with them, paying just rent with all bills included, so I don't know what to put about their contribution and mine, come to that.

(9)My situation is complicated as even though my rent is up-to-date, I don't have any formal rental agreement, so won't the OR demand something to show my rent is not behind? If he/she does, can I give it to them after the court date? The form says a "rent demand will help" but what exactly is it?

(10)Since I filled out the form and got my last wage slip 2 weeks ago, I've been given an increase in hours and therefore salary but it still does not exceed my limit for getting a full fees remission, so do I need to tell the OR this?

If any of the experts could help with these queries, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again

gettingoutofdebt Posted - 07 February 2010 : 09:07:29
If you have updated your contact details then the creditor is legally obliged, as part of the data protection act, to update their records so should not be calling your family.

It is up to you whether you speak to the creditors or not but they won't be able to discuss your account with anyone who doesn't pass the security checks i.e. account number, etc.

I would speak to the creditor, advise them of your updated contact details and tell them to make sure they update their system with these new details. Whether you tell them you are declaring BR or not is up to you. If you do then they will call even more as they know they will not get their money once you are BR. If you don't then they will still continue to call until they get the repayments you owe them.
RHB Posted - 06 February 2010 : 18:41:23
Maybe you need to answer your PAYG phone.

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page