Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for march
 bankcruptcy date set

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
coco Posted - 14 March 2007 : 19:33:37
hi can someone please explain to me what to expect on the day in court i have read so many sites but never really feel that i have completely understood.

What fees do i need to pay etc.

What if they reject my BR i physically cannot contiue with the IVA payments, to top it all the pressure has finaly ended my marriage so even if they reject the BR i could not meet the payments of the IVA.

I just wish everything was now finished with it had gone on for a whole year now.

Thanks

I apologies for my keyoards poor spelling and grammar.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hellybelly Posted - 15 March 2007 : 21:45:43
My partners is in on the 22nd too Maff!

Good luck
go_4_broke Posted - 15 March 2007 : 19:14:35
No, but it's a good idea (and fits in better) to be at least halfway respectable. It also gives the impression you're taking the process seriously.

'Bankruptcy - an elephant from the front - a mouse from the back'
maff Posted - 15 March 2007 : 18:39:24
Thats sounds right, I was told the fees are £475 until april, I'm in on the 22nd so saved £15! Been waiting since November tho. Do you need to wear a suit when you attend?
go_4_broke Posted - 15 March 2007 : 17:41:21
quote:
I was quite surprised how informal it all sounds when I read all about the court process. I was a witness to a robbery in January and i expected it to be like that, but what I understand, its a judge in a suit, not official gowns or anything, in a side room, with just you (and I think they allow someone in with you).

Right about that as well. The last time I was there, the light in the room wouldn't work and the Judge had to stand next to the window to read the forms.

You are supposed to call them (the Judges) sir/madam but I don't think they're that bothered if you don't.

hellybelly Posted - 15 March 2007 : 12:30:07
So if you're quick off the mark and get a date before April 1st, you could save £15!!

Ring your local court and get a date now then get your forms filled in. No time like the present!
go_4_broke Posted - 15 March 2007 : 12:23:46
Yes the fees are absolutely standard, according to Melanie they will be £490 from April 1st, so a little less than I thought. It's only the individual Court procedures that differ slightly.

-Best

hellybelly Posted - 15 March 2007 : 06:59:37
Hi coco, our fees are £475, I don't know if all courts are the same, but I'm sure they are.

I was quite surprised how informal it all sounds when I read all about the court process. I was a witness to a robbery in January and i expected it to be like that, but what I understand, its a judge in a suit, not official gowns or anything, in a side room, with just you (and I think they allow someone in with you).
go_4_broke Posted - 15 March 2007 : 01:00:59
Hi coco

I think it varies depending on your Court but here's an outline of how it works out at my local one.

Most of it is dealt with by the Clerks. They will check over the forms and have you swear/affirm the affidavit (or vice versa). This takes about half an hour or so.

Then they'll whisk you in front of a Judge (probably in his tea break). The judge will cast an eye over the forms and may ask a few questions, most commonly whether you have had some debt advice. This is mainly to cover themselves against signing you off bankrupt when you shouldn't be. This might well only last a couple of minutes.

Then you'll have a short phone call with the Official Receiver. They will ask you a few questions the main purpose of which I think is to make sure you've no valuable assets they need to nab in a hurry to prevent them 'disappearing'.

Thats about it really. I've made it sound pretty casual but a lot of people do come out of it wondering what all the fuss was about.

In terms of fees I think it's a shade more than £500 all in, get the correct figures from www.insolvency.gov.uk, reduce by about £150 if you can get exemption from the Court fee by being on certain benefits.

I don't think there's any chance they will refuse you BR as you are already in an IVA so technically 'insolvent'.

Best of luck with it anyway. Once you're done you're out in a year, a lot better than flogging on with the IVA burden.

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page