Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for august
 will I end up in prison, I am so worried.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Almost there Posted - 24 August 2008 : 22:31:02
I have a million & 1 questions but I will just give the basics for now. I have racked up so much debt over the past 2 years but this year has been worse, mainly due to various items in the house that have had to be replaced. I live on my own and I receive a pension of around £500.00 a month, I also have a part time job and I am paid cash in hand for this, which amounts to around £400 a month.

I am almost certain that I will have to go bankrupt but I have used my credit cards very heavily recently and I am scared it will be looked on as reckless, but it has not been on luxury items or holidays, just essentials. One example is a new gas cooker, my old one was condemmed.

When I see the OR, I am worried that he will (1) Question why I got into so much debt with just a pension to live on, assuming I don't tell him about my cash in hand job, or do I tell the truth and cause more trouble for myself and my boss, because I am obviously not paying income tax and I get help with my council tax. (2) Will he frown upon the things I have bought so recently. Do I leave it a few months and not use credit cards (I have stopped using them as from today and have cut them all up).

I am scared I will be taken to court and have a criminal record, I have never been dishonest in my life before. Alot of the spending started when my partner died of cancer 2 years ago but I am not trying to make feeble excuses. Can anything be taken from me and will I end up in prison, I am so worried.

I have recently taken out a £10,000 loan, this has paid off my overdraft and a large chunk of one of my credit cards, I haven't made a single payment yet. Incidently I am not in arrears with anything at the moment, but its only a matter of time before I am.
My debts amount to around £26,500.

Thank you for reading this.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Needafriend Posted - 15 October 2008 : 15:15:11
Hi Sandie

As Julian has said take it one day at a time and it will all come good in the end.

Please take care and dont forget where we are.

Jo x

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Needafriends Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
JulianDonnelly Posted - 15 October 2008 : 13:07:14
Hi Sandie,

Try not to worry. BR can be a very liberating experience. Just take it one day at a time and you'll be fine!

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Almost there Posted - 13 October 2008 : 20:58:01
Just thought I would tell you about my day, my boss spoke to me today and told me he is putting me on the payroll, it seems the sensible thing to do, as I am worried when I do go BR the OR will think it strange that I have so much debt with such a small income, and I could not tell the OR about a cash in hand job, so as of this month, it will all be above board, I shall be worse off and have even less money coming in and will probably have to give up the job after my BR, as it might not be worth my while after I have paid everything out, I only work 14 hours a week. Anyway I told my boss that I wanted to talk privately to him and when I got into his office I could not stop crying, and I told him about my pending BR, he was very sympathetic, and gave me a great big hug, it certainly released some of the tension as I have not opened up to anyone apart from on this site. He said, would it make you feel better if I told you that I owe about half a million, well, that made my £27,000 look very small. I still feel very down and wish I could go BR earlier and not have to wait 3 months, I just want to get it over with. I will ring the helpline this week, tried last week, but I was out when John called back. Am feeling very tearful and am crying at the least little thing. Thank you for this site and for listening to me. Incidently I work for a credit control company, bit of a joke really!!!Sandie x
Needafriend Posted - 08 October 2008 : 09:27:49
Hi Sandie

Call the 0800 078 9367 number and ask them to call you back. I am not sure have you spoken to Julian before about this, if not just ask for someone to call you and take it from there.
Each case is different and you need advice based purely on your individual circumstances and i really think you should get in touch with the helpline.
They will call you back, and let us know how things go.

Keep smiling and keep posting

LOL

Jo x
Your Mother Hen :-)

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Mother Hen's New Debt Free Life with Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

Almost there Posted - 08 October 2008 : 09:24:20
Who is the best person to speak to Jo and I will give them a call later? I know everyone is great on here but I need a bit of a sympathetic ear at the moment. What do you think the worst scenario would be in my case? Take care. Sandie x
Needafriend Posted - 07 October 2008 : 21:41:47
Have you actually spoken to them on there number?

Jo x

"Mother Hen's New Debt Free Life with Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

Almost there Posted - 07 October 2008 : 20:43:39
I can find the fee somehow, but I am worried what Julian said about being accused of fraud, that is the only thing that is putting me off. x
Needafriend Posted - 07 October 2008 : 20:18:45
Its ok MW,

I am sorry to hear that today has brought back those memories.
Can you actually come up with the fee now and apply for the BR.
Like i said we are all here for you, whatever your question. You can moan away, i know i do :-)

Its a great place to let of some steam.

Keep posting mate

Jo x

Almost there Posted - 07 October 2008 : 20:06:52
Thanks Jo, I think I am just having a bad day, it is 2 years today since my partner died and I just feel that everything is getting on top of me,and I am so scared I will get prosecuted if I go BR now, what with the loan and everything, I just don't know what to do for the best. Sorry to moan so much. x
Needafriend Posted - 07 October 2008 : 19:36:46
I would if you can and maybe if it is done sooner rather than later and if you can afford the fees then it may help to clear your head.
It would certainly help to ease some of the worries that you have now but its down to you.
We can help with the form filling etc.
Take care mate

Jo x

Almost there Posted - 07 October 2008 : 18:59:34
Thanks for your message Jo, does that mean that living off debt now will make matters worse and the OR will give me a BRO anyway? if that is the case I might as well do it sooner and get it over with, I just don't see what else I can do even if I cut down as much as possible and Xmas is creeping up as well, aaaarrrggghh!!! Think I'll hibernate, I am feeling so tearful.
Needafriend Posted - 07 October 2008 : 18:06:18
Hi VW

I can see where your coming from as obviously you have to live and your BR date is not for ages.

I dont think debt is a criminal offence but it will be seen as a being a bit naughty if you end up making matters a lot lot worse by the time of BR. If you only use minimal and can explain that might help your case but it will still mean that the OR could impose the BRU or BRO.

Im not 100% sure if that info is correct but thats how i understand it, but i wanted to say keep your chin up. it will come good in the end.

Be strong mate.

Jo x

Almost there Posted - 07 October 2008 : 16:24:47
Also, I am running up more debts just by day to day living with an increasing overdraft, so in 3 months time the situation will be worse.
Almost there Posted - 07 October 2008 : 16:02:11
Sorry to keep on but would that mean a criminal offence or a BRO?
JulianDonnelly Posted - 07 October 2008 : 13:58:25
Hi Sandie,

You need to wait unfortunately. Taking out credit without making any payments back will be seen as fraud.

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page