Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 outstanding Council Tax and utility bills

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Robin55 Posted - 02 December 2008 : 11:25:38
Can anyone tell me if outstanding Council Tax and utility bills are definitely included in BR?

Mine are extortionately high and I have cancelled the direct debits but not going BR until Feb.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Needafriend Posted - 02 December 2008 : 20:38:04
Hi RB

Some things just dont make sense or logic but you need to make sure that utilities are paid if your still living in the place.

I hope that you get it sorted out.

Take care

Jo
x

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Robin55 Posted - 02 December 2008 : 16:37:20
Oh Thankyou,

Thats really silly, I dont understand the logic behind it at all.....

RB
Trolly-Dolly Posted - 02 December 2008 : 15:57:24
I am 6 months in arrears with council tax, which could not be included as the billing period for 08/09 has not ended, so I am struggling to pay it now (hence why I am flogging things on ebay, which I hope the OR will understand!).

You can read my blog here;

http://drowningmummy.blogs.iva.co.uk/
T76 Posted - 02 December 2008 : 15:02:06
Hello

We were unable to include this years council tax arrears, just last years, however we did include all our utility arrears - I telephoned our supplies with meter readings the day before we filed for bankruptcy and requested details of the new outstanding amount (approx £600 in total for gas, electric and water).

We are with SWALEC for gas/electric and welsh water for water - both companies closed our old accounts, opened new ones and set us up on a monthly Direct Debit payment scheme - they advised us that if we missed a monthly payment, then they would have to look at putting us on a pre-payment meter.
pix1 Posted - 02 December 2008 : 14:53:51
Robin 55,

Good point. Quite possibly they would not know exactly who someone was. i hope so, anyway!
Robin55 Posted - 02 December 2008 : 14:40:48
Thank you Jo,

Thats a great help. I am now living with my partner though as my property will be reposessed with the BR. Will my old utility companies really know who I am if I set up new accounts in a future property?

RB
Needafriend Posted - 02 December 2008 : 14:18:17
Hi Robin

I agree with 369 utilities need to be paid really if you can as it is a lot of hassle getting them to provide in the future, you may end up with pre pay meters etc so if you can try and pay them.

The council tax bill would have to be sent a final reminder, so that its officially a debt to include on your SoA and this you will need as you have to have been billed etc other wise it may not be included in your BR.

Hope that helps.

Jo
x

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Robin55 Posted - 02 December 2008 : 11:49:32
Thank you, thats a great help!

RB
369 Posted - 02 December 2008 : 11:35:13
Hello there,

I know that council tax is included, but make sure you have actually had the bill sent to you, as i went bankrupt on 2nd Nov 07 and included my council tax, but because i didnt officially recieve the bill until the 27th Nov 07 then they wouldnt include it - even though it was for the whole year - even before i was bankrupt!!!

Utility bills, they can be included, but sometimes its hard to get another company if you stop paying for these, or they will insist that you have a metre fitted. Usually people continue paying these bills as they are essential.....

hope that helps

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page