Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 CoOp Cashminder Visa Debit

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zamfir Posted - 11 December 2008 : 01:45:53
A bloke from CoOp call centre said that Visa Debit cards will never be issued with a Cashminder account, where as a lady e-mailed, from Customer Services, to say that the option will be there from December 5th.

As that date has passed, and the subject has come up before, I was wondering whether anybody (Skip?) has requested a Visa Debit, and the outcome?

The T&C PDF file has been updated since December 5th, but the website still only states an "Electron" card as being available.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Needafriend Posted - 26 December 2008 : 10:26:45
Hi Antp

Thank you for your information regarding the Electron card, i for one now understand how they work and so far have been very happy with mine.

I do hope that you had a Great Christmas and heres hoping that you have an even better New year.

Take care and again thank you.

Jo
x

Wishing you all a Happy Debt & Worry Free 2009

21 Weeks down

31 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
antp Posted - 24 December 2008 : 19:46:06
Happy Xmas everyone,

To clear up this confusion a little (i hope) about the electron card I offer this....

the electron card IS a true debit card, because of the way debit cards work the Electron and Solo cards are usually issued to students, kids, basic bank account holders, due to the circumstances of the people holding them there are no overdraft facilities so it needs to be designed differently. On a "normal" debit card - maestro - visa delta/debit the account can be used as such that if you overdraw on a weekend you can put the money back in on the next business day and accrue no penalty, this only works for smallish amounts overdrawn ie upt o 50-100 quid, whatever it says on the cheque guarantee bit of the card. electron and solo dont offer overdrafts so it wont work. to stop users writing cheques they do not have the cheque guarantee symbol on the cards and perhaps more importantly, the numbers are not "proud" or embossed so that a manual imprinter cannot be used and the slips banked later by the retailer. this prevents the acountee becoming overdrawn as it can only be used electronically.

the electron is a true debit card but electronic use only. most places accept it as most places have chip and pin point of sale technology. some places like asda petrol station pay at pump dont work but the kiosk does. if ordering online and if not accepted try ringing the number to speak to their customer services and they will probably accept it = use saynoto0870 tho unless its 0800 or a normal number.
leakie Posted - 23 December 2008 : 09:14:39
Hi Guy's
I have just been on too the Co-op about my Cashminder card, as my Pin number had not arrived,
I thought I would check about the Visa /Electron.
The lady explained to me that that the card is a half way between a cash card and a dedit card,
It can only be used as a Debit card where they accept Electron, which she said was just about any where. Also on the Internet, and the Visa part is for abroad.

I hope this makes sense.

Hope everyone on the Forum has a great Christmas,
and a Happy New Year

All the best Leakie
Trolly-Dolly Posted - 22 December 2008 : 15:31:53
I dont know how to use spreadsheets!
I have to work the old fashioned way and take out cash and live that way. Sometimes, DDs do go wrong though as I'm sure most of us have experienced at some point or other, so I'm just waiting on that happening and then its account suspension time. Doesnt really reflect real life, but at least I have an account.

You can read my blog here;

http://drowningmummy.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Needafriend Posted - 22 December 2008 : 13:06:38
Hi Skip

I too have an excell spreadsheet system that i change once dd's have gone out. I know then what is available to me and when things have been paid or are due.

Jo
x
Wishing you A Very Merry Christmas & A Happy Debt Free 2009

20 Weeks down

32 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
zamfir Posted - 22 December 2008 : 12:19:53
I'm very happy with the account on the whole, if I need a real-time balance, I just check on a LINK cash machine.

The only quibble is they take ages to respond to communication and their literature contradicts itself at times - that said, they're not a huge bank, so to be expected to a degree.
Skippy Posted - 22 December 2008 : 12:16:36
I think the account is excellent to be honest.

Paying money in isn't a problem as you can use the Post Office, and it still clears quickly onto the account.

To get round the internet banking issue I've got a spreadsheet that shows my salary, the direct debits are blue, and any uncleared transactions are red. Once a DD has been paid or a transaction has been paid I change it back to black. This means that I can see exactly what my balance is at any time.

I'm not saying this would work for everyone, but it's worked for me so I thought I'd share it!

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

18 IPA payments to go!
Needafriend Posted - 22 December 2008 : 12:12:30
TD

I have just spoken to halifax about their Easycash account, they said they dont do credit checks and it also has an electron card, it may be worth applying to them.

Best of luck

Jo
x

20 Weeks down

32 to go

Trolly-Dolly Posted - 22 December 2008 : 11:09:46
I've never had a problem using my card abroad which I do about 3-4 times a month. However I am not very happy with the account. Paying money in is a royal pain in the arse as I'm not local to one, internet banking is not in real-time, and this 3 strike rule is pretty harsh....one more and I'm out. I'd really like a current account again!

You can read my blog here;

http://drowningmummy.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Needafriend Posted - 22 December 2008 : 11:04:54
Hi M&M

I was just about to answer this, but you got there first ;-)

Have a great christmas all of you.

Lol your needafriend

Jo
x

20 Weeks down

32 to go

MrandMrs Posted - 22 December 2008 : 11:02:54
TC is terms and conditions, OH is other half and M/M is me....MrandMrs :)

working towards the first day of the rest of our lives
scottyuk Posted - 22 December 2008 : 10:25:21
At this stage will be thankfull for a plain old no frills account but yeah if its got the extras then even better....p.s...as I am a learner here please tell what TC is oh and M/M

SCOTT X
Needafriend Posted - 22 December 2008 : 10:08:02
Hi Scott

I called the Coop just after the new T&C were announced they informed me at that time it was subject to being a discharged BR and also how the account is conducted, but saying that M&M i think it is have been given the Debit card.

So there is hope, i think ;-)

Jo
x

20 Weeks down

32 to go

scottyuk Posted - 21 December 2008 : 23:31:52
Just read the terms and conditions for a cashminder account on the co-op website, it says it will issue an Electron OR a Debit Card.

Details are on "terms and conditions"

Section 9

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1193206368743,CFSweb/Page/Bank-CurrentAccounts

Scotty
MrandMrs Posted - 21 December 2008 : 23:08:33
It's a cashminder and he's opened it in preperation for his bankruptcy in January, so it won't be used until then. However, he did tell Coop he was going bankrupt and they wrote it on the application.

working towards the first day of the rest of our lives

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page