Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Hi I have been gambling for about 3 yrs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
paulsc Posted - 27 March 2009 : 07:11:49
Hi I have been gambling for about 3 yrs though my gambling hasnt increase my debt i have gambled about £1700 i think if i get a BRO how does that effect me please
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
John Posted - 29 March 2009 : 10:47:49
Hi

Insolvency by definition determines whether or not your BR petition should be accepted. Strangely half the country are insolvent but many of course choose not to petition as they have more than sufficient income to meet all repayments. But an ability to pay does not alter the fact when our debts outweigh our assets we are insolvent.

So with £15K of debt and no assets we are insolvent even if you are earning a six figure salary.
Salaries of course, and in particular in the present climate, are far from guaranteed so potential future earnings should not be considered an asset.

I'd be surprised if a debtor's petition were allowed in the above scenario though.

Likewise it is an anomoly that a debtor with £750 of debt, but millions in assets, can be declared bankrupt through a creditors petition when clearly the debtor is far from insolvent based on that single debt alone.
It happens all too often.

John White
England Jackman & Spacey
ripski Posted - 29 March 2009 : 10:11:45
That's funny Bit of humour does not go amiss.
What are the odds on being refused BR.
Is the logic behind BR that your assets cannot cover your debts. I am in neg. equity now or is that you have enough income to repay some.Due to mortgage going down I have a bit more but still not enough to repay everything.

ripski1
paulsc Posted - 28 March 2009 : 15:36:15
whats the ODDS on becoming addicted

Niobe Posted - 28 March 2009 : 15:27:18
The odd flutter here and there is not an addiction. I do the lottery and don't class that as an addiction as I could quite easily stop and I don't spend a lot of money on it. Neither is a few drinks an indication of having an alcohol problem.

However, the majority of posters who have been on here with gambling problems are addicted and it is this that has caused their financial woes.

I don't see why you should be getting so wound up about this taffgaz, no one is having a go at anyone on here about gambling.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Skippy Posted - 28 March 2009 : 14:07:26
Because the people who gamble large amounts of money are often addicted to gambling. If this is the case they need help to break the addiction, the same as an alcoholic needs help to give up alcohol. Therefore a BRU may help.

Gambling small amounts now and then isn't addiction, the same as having a couple of bottles of wine a week isn't.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

21 IPA payments made, 15 to go - on the home straight!
taffqaz Posted - 28 March 2009 : 13:15:00
why when the the word gambling used is adction used as well, is some one who has a couple of bottles a wine a week an alcoholic

hunter
John Posted - 28 March 2009 : 00:20:27
Hi

I think skippy's point regarding the use of debit cards and not credit cards for online gambling is a very valid one.

However, it is quite a strange rule in bankruptcy.
I can smoke my credit away, drink my credit away, God forbid even inject my credit away all if which potentially costs the NHS and potentially kills me.

Even the gambler that does not gamble online, or that has no betting account whereby the payments are debited from a bank account, but rather uses cash in a shop or at the course, goes undetected.

It is all quite bizarre.

John White
England Jackman & Spacey
paulsc Posted - 27 March 2009 : 22:45:52
i have been on a slippery slope far to kong and need to sort my self out appeciate all the comments . I realised i will be penalised but better than the position i am in at the moment .... theres always someone worse off than you

Skippy Posted - 27 March 2009 : 22:33:31
My original post was directed at taffqaz, and as I said I'm not criticising anyone with any sort of addiction.

A lot of people gamble a lot more than you have Paul, and often the money they gamble is credit rather than their own money.

If a BRU/O stops someone with a genuine addiction being able to get credit to gamble then I still say it's a good thing as it will hopefully help the person to beat the addiction.

Personally I think anyone gambling online shouldn't be able to use credit cards, only debit cards. Hopefully this would make it harder for people to rack up credit.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

Niobe Posted - 27 March 2009 : 22:32:29
I am not pointing the finger at anyone on here, just saying that a lot of the time gambling does get out of hand and is what causes the financial problems.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Jan
xx
paulsc Posted - 27 March 2009 : 22:20:47
£1700 is not addiction a packet of fags a day cost more so why should a gambler be penalised =when a smoker isnt

Skippy Posted - 27 March 2009 : 22:05:11
I agree with Jan. I'm in no way criticising anyone who has a gambling addiction, but surely a BRU/O is as much to protect them from gambling as it is to protect their creditors.

Niobe Posted - 27 March 2009 : 22:03:33
Gambling is an addiction and a lot of the time it seems to escalate from a few pounds a week until a months salary can be lost as soon as it is paid.

I'm afraid that I don't agree with you Taffgaz, I think if it has contributed to the bankruptcy, then it should be dealt with more severely.

Jan
xx
taffqaz Posted - 27 March 2009 : 21:18:39
i find the atititude to gambling regarding bankrupcty quite appalling, if i was a member of a golf club and spent £1700 on membership fees and golf rounds in three years this would not be looked upoun as a reason for going bankrupt and there 4 punnished, but because some one enjoyed a weekly £10-£20 a week flutter this is treated in a servere way.

hunter
paulsc Posted - 27 March 2009 : 12:53:21
sorry i was joking ( ODDS FOR THAT )

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page