Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for august
 Keeping two cars

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
daisy duck Posted - 11 August 2009 : 13:33:41
Hi. I own my own car worth about £1400 and is in my name and my wife who is going bankrupt also owns a car which is in her name worth about £4000.
I use my car for going to and from work and as I am a postman there is no public transport from where I live at 5.00 in a morning so I do need it.
My wife works as a carer for her sister who is disabled so she needs her car for taking her sister out to shops and doctors. She also gets a petrol allowance for this. As she goes out in a morning till late afternoon it is impossible to share one car.
What I would like to know is will the OR take my car from me and expect us to share one car.
And/or would the OR take my wifes car. I know they sometimes allow £2500 for a car so if my mother in law put the rest of the money towards (£1500) would she be able to keep her car meaning we both have a car each.
Thanks for any help.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RHB Posted - 16 August 2009 : 15:43:49
Well, it's up to the OR ultimately to say what they think but now that child bus travel is being more heavily subsidised it might work out cheaper than you think
daisy duck Posted - 16 August 2009 : 15:29:17
Hi. My wife also has to pick up and drop off our 2 kids at school as we do not qualify for free buses it would cost us around £80 a month in bus fares alone.
Working everything out including car insurance, petrol, etc. we would save aroud £700 a year with my wife having the car.
Would the OR take this into account.
RHB Posted - 16 August 2009 : 12:59:52
Thing is, the OR might reasonably expect your sister to do this since the main reason for your wife keeping the car is to care for her sister.
daisy duck Posted - 13 August 2009 : 19:15:52
My wife has asked her sister about this but she does not want to do it, plus my wife would like to own the car herself and we get a petrol allowance and car tax paid anyway.
Niobe Posted - 13 August 2009 : 18:41:02
It's worth a try to get a motability car. It will only cost you the petrol then, insurance,tax, and all maintainence costs are paid for.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
RHB Posted - 11 August 2009 : 18:47:52
Or could your disabled sister get a car on motability?
gettingoutofdebt Posted - 11 August 2009 : 13:55:34
Hi,

If you both need a car for your journey to/from work then you should be able to keep both. The OR would probably want the £4k car and give you £2k to buy another or you could make the OR an offer to buy the car.

Cars below £2k are not automatically exempt from being taken by the OR it really depends upon whether the OR believes you need a car and cannot use public transport.

From what you have said about your work, keeping both cars should be fine but you may have to pay a bit for the £4k car unless you could argue that you needed a very reliable car as you make long journeys, etc.

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page