Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Not exactly a debt question but I desperately need advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
xmas baby Posted - 06 September 2011 : 09:43:03
Hello,

I know this isn't exactly a debt question, but I desperately need advice on this urgent matter and if anyone could help, I would be extremely grateful.
I was discharged from bankruptcy in 2010 and I still have 8 months left in an IPA. In a few days time I will be moving into a new rented property via a well known nationwide letting agents. However I have been informed that the letting agents will arrange for an energy provider, which after doing some research, I have realised are a terrible provider with extortionate tariffs and customers who have issues with their bills (which can be hundreds or thousands of pounds a month) cannot contact this supplier, or they never respond to emails, phone calls, etc. I am currently with a well known energy provider and I wanted to take them with me when I move. Surely the agents cannot force you to go with a provider you are not happy with, can they? What about my freedom to choose. The last thing I want is to get into trouble (through no fault of my own) with an energy provider who, from reading the numerous horror stories from customers, seem only to happy to get debt collectors involved at the merest hint of the customer refusing to pay a bill because it is inaccurate. Me and my partner are becoming ill with worry and if we don't sign the agreement on saturday, we will be homeless. We feel trapped and I couldn't bear to go through another bankruptcy if it came to that. Can anyone please help or advice us please. We are desperate. I have spoken to the letting sgents about my concerns and they do not seem to be very responsive or helpful.

Please help us!

xmasb baby
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xmas baby Posted - 16 September 2011 : 10:03:36
Tried the humane traps several years ago when I was in a flat that was infested with the buggers. Must say I used to forget to check them regularly, so not sure they were that humane by the time I got to them. I hate mice (and rats) and could deal with anything else. I think the fact that one time I put my hand in dirty washing up water and squeezed what I thought was the sponge, only to find it was a rat... and I had squeezed it before realising. Now I am petrified of all rodents.lol. If we do end up having them then I will be straight out to get one of those electric shocker traps. At least they are quick and you don't have to deal with the corpse.

Having a moving in party this evening, so should be a nice evening. Have a good weekend everyone!

xmas baby
Niobe Posted - 15 September 2011 : 22:54:30
Glad the move went ok and hopefully the utilities part of it will be smooth.

I love mice - as long as they are outside!!!! We've had rats in the garden before and had to get the council out to sort it.

Anything bigger than a very small jumping spider and I won't touch them!!

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Skippy Posted - 15 September 2011 : 18:21:20
I'm glad the move went well and I hope you get your energy provider sorted out.

On the subject of mice you can get humane mouse traps so they can be released (OH calls me a tree hugger!) - bait them with chocolate (mice have good taste) and they will go in, the trap will tip and they won't be able to get out again.

Mice don't actually bother me - now if you said you had an infestation of spiders...

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
xmas baby Posted - 15 September 2011 : 14:59:40
Hi and thanks to everyone for your kind words of support.

Well we moved on Saturday and true to their word, the agents crossed through the clause and initialed it so all should be well. Have already spoken to the various energy providers about my supply, so hopefully I won't be hearing from the other providers.

Flat is really nice (and large) compared to my old one. However, I am convinced we might have mice as there is a musky smell lurking around (and it's not me honest). Haven't seen any either yet, but going by the previous tenants, who weren't particularly tidy, I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know, you get rid of one headache and another one replaces it. I think I would prefer the rogue energy provider than an infestation of mice (or worse... rats). Bankruptcy is less stressful than the thought of mice running around at the dead of night.

xmas baby
Niobe Posted - 10 September 2011 : 13:48:32
Thinking of you xmas baby - hope everything is going through ok.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Jan
xxx
Crazee67 Posted - 10 September 2011 : 10:01:39
Good luck Xmas - hope the mmove goes well mate
Come back on and update us on how it went.

Mine's a double
glafy Posted - 09 September 2011 : 12:46:10
Good Luck

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!

"Good things come to those who wait".....I'm a patient person but this is taking the Mickey!!
xmas baby Posted - 09 September 2011 : 12:01:13
Exactly. The 'big' energy companies rates are bad enough and due to increase just in time for the winter period (how convenient for them) so the last thing anyone would want is to be contracted to a provider which charges more than 4 x the standard rates. I don't think anyone could afford those kind of charges, unless you were a millionaire. I have just been so cautious with my finances since declaring bankruptcy that I am almost possessed these days and keep an eye on my bank accounts daily. I learnt my lesson the hard way and I never want to be in that position again if I can help it.

Thanks again for all your advice and messages of support.

Move day tomorrow..... yippee!!

xmas baby
Crazee67 Posted - 08 September 2011 : 19:35:10
Great news - fingers crossed it goes well for you. Glad they saw sense - it was a ridiculous clause n the first place.

Mine's a double
Niobe Posted - 08 September 2011 : 16:11:49
That's excellent news and must be such a relief!

Hopefully it has been crossed through when you go on Saturday.

Good luck!!

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Jan
xxx
xmas baby Posted - 08 September 2011 : 13:11:09
Thank you Tracey, I will.
Skippy Posted - 08 September 2011 : 11:04:52
Good luck, I hope everything works out well for you.

Let us know how it goes x

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
xmas baby Posted - 08 September 2011 : 10:07:28
Hi everyone and thanks for all your replies.

After the past few days of anxiety and worry I think I may have sorted this problem out. After many emails to the letting agents, I said that I would not be happy signing the tenancy agreement with the energy provider clause in as it stands. After further prompting, they have agreed to cross through this clause and initial it. This will basically ensure that I am not obliged to go with this particular energy provider and I am free to choice my own. As long as the signature of the agreement (which will be the letting agents as they are acting on behalf of the landlord) is the same as the initials in the line through, then this contract is legally binding. Phew!! I know the letting agents probably think I am going to be a moany nuisance tenant, but I really am not, I just didn't want to end up with a contract with a supplier I didn't feel happy with and something as important as that should not be forced on someone. I have already arranged for the existing energy providers to continue with the supply until my preffered supplier can connect us up. I always asked the letting agents to provide me with a letter from themselves and the landlord confirming that they are happy for me to choose my own supplier and they have agreed to do this. Well I have still to sign the contract on saturday, so until then, there is no guarantee that the clause has been deleted, so I will have to wait until then I guess. Hopefully though, it will go okay. I don't think I could go through a week like this one again so soon.

Wish me luck folks!

xmas baby
Crazee67 Posted - 07 September 2011 : 18:15:59
I dont know if this helps but we took up our tenancy in April this year. We found a tarriff we liked and when we phoned to sort it all we were told we had to sign up with the existing provider, once we received our first bill the new provider took over with the new tariff. We bascially just owed the first months energy bill to the old company.

I really cant understand why the LL would insist on a particular company especially in this day and age when it makes good sense to shop around for the best tarrif. While you are there. you are responsible for the bills so why cant you decide for yourself. I dont think he would have any legal grounds to make you go with a particular supplier and anyhow, how would he know if you changed.

Good luck and let us know the outcome of this

Crazee

Mine's a double
Niobe Posted - 06 September 2011 : 22:39:12
There is no reason why you cannot tell us the name of the company, they will have no idea of this site and even less of who you are. It would just be interesting to know.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Jan
xxx

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page