Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 First OR meeting, worse than expected

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stubie Posted - 26 June 2012 : 23:48:58
I'm shocked! I'm 62, I receive full pension credit guarantee, housing benefit and council tax benefit. I never expected an IPA. Why? Because I am in receipt of public funds that have been set by the government as the minimum a person needs to live on. But the OR uses different rules.

He says I have a surplus of £143 per month even though the government calculated otherwise. £150 per month of my income comes from a private pension. So they say they can take £143 from that. So, here's the rub.

If I didn't receive a private pension, the government would top up my income by that same amount ie £150. My total income would then be from public funds. The OR could not take that. But because part of my income is private, they can.

So although I am saving the government £150 by having a private pension, the OR can now take it.

I have to live on £1000 per month for the next 3 years to include £625 rent and £75 council tax ie £300 per month even though the government says I need over £400 per month excluding accomodation.

Ouch! That hurts!

I may as well rent a dearer flat and save paying the OR in favour of more comfort.

Regards
Stuart
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
year 2029 Posted - 28 June 2012 : 18:46:59
Sorry you were mistaken as well Niobe.

We'll have to wait for the OP to come back to us.
I was just trying to see if there's anything he's left off his list :-)

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
Niobe Posted - 28 June 2012 : 16:57:34
You didn't actually make yourself clear 2029 - I thought you were referring to Tracey as well.

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again

Skippy Posted - 28 June 2012 : 15:01:06
Sorry, that'll teach me to only half read a post when I'm at work!!!

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
year 2029 Posted - 28 June 2012 : 14:55:15
Tracey, was wondering if the OP had a service charge, as there was no mention on their list of expenditure.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Skippy Posted - 28 June 2012 : 14:25:03
There is no service charge, only ground rent and buildings insurance. We had a service charge in our last flat and it was a complete waste of money - every time something needed doing we were expected to fork out more money whether it applied to our flat or not.

Sorry to Stubie, this thread now seems to have gone off track!

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
year 2029 Posted - 28 June 2012 : 12:58:28
Do you have a service charge associated with your flat?
Or is that included in the rent?

--------------
Skippy Posted - 28 June 2012 : 12:37:37
The freeholder arranges the buildings insurance for us but we have to arrange the contents insurance. Sadly we live on a flood plain and our house flooded over 60 years ago so a lot of insurers won't touch us.

Niobe Posted - 28 June 2012 : 11:27:10
We pay over £700 a year for building and contents.

year 2029 Posted - 28 June 2012 : 11:06:10
If it covers your premium, then fair enough.
If you find its now gone up to £60 for example, I'm sure the OR would change their figures.

--------------
Skippy Posted - 28 June 2012 : 10:55:54
I think that's very low for contents insurance. I can't remember how much ours is exactly but I think it's around £150 a year.

stubie Posted - 28 June 2012 : 10:41:00
To be honest I don't have insurance right now but the OR was happy to give me that allowance and said that was the maximum he could give for an annual premium of contents only. I did geta quote a few months back and for a 1-bed flat in Sussex with no policy frills it came to that price.

Regards
Stuart
year 2029 Posted - 28 June 2012 : 10:35:57
Is £48 your actual insurance premium, or are you saying that's all they've allowed?

They should allow you the actual premium.

--------------
stubie Posted - 27 June 2012 : 21:45:08
Yes per year

Regards
Stuart
Niobe Posted - 27 June 2012 : 21:40:09
That's per year I presume?