Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Is a dog classed as an asset saleable by the courts ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Michael.77 Posted - 03 July 2012 : 22:38:59
Is a dog classed as an asset saleable by the courts??
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bearsndogs Posted - 07 July 2012 : 18:02:15
Thanks and I will.

year 2029 Posted - 07 July 2012 : 17:46:58
hopefully the OP will have benefited, and as the majority of the discussion after was for you, I'm glad you found it helpful.

Keep smiling :-)
And posting.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
bearsndogs Posted - 07 July 2012 : 17:13:55
Oh dear - I didn't realise how my comment regarding finding somewhere/someone who would house both my family and my pets would evoke such huge responses!! I have to say I have enjoyed reading them and yes, Year 2029, they have been extremely helpful. They have also made me smile, especially your comment about me keeping bears! No, I don't keep them, although I'm sure if I could live somewhere large enough to accommodate them, I would, along with all other animals! I called my two eldest grandsons "bears" when they were babies (still do sometimes!) and because I also had dogs when I originally created my e-mail years ago (sadly they - the dogs, not grandsons - have long-since departed), I needed something unique.

As pointed out, the topic has gone right off at a tangent, but I do hope it helped the person who asked the original question.

year 2029 Posted - 07 July 2012 : 08:13:44
Michael.77
Its gone off topic now but hopefully you've read some useful information, and continue posting.

Niobe,
I realise that you would include your other half, and it was meant tongue in cheek ;-)

Tracey,
There are lots of reasons other than the going getting tough to re house pets unfortunately.

Bearsndogs
Hopefully some of my replies on this thread might give you food for thought to contact a prospective landlord after you've seen a property you like. You don't keep bears do you? ;-)

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Niobe Posted - 07 July 2012 : 07:55:41
I should have said other half, I forgot him!! The rest of the family fend for themselves.

I also apologise to the OP for the thread going way off track.

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again

Skippy Posted - 06 July 2012 : 22:24:40
In our house Harry comes first - whatever he needs he has and if that meant us going without then so be it. Originally we weren't going to have a honeymoon as I refuse to put him in a cattery but a friend is going to look after him.

I would sell everything I have and live in a tent before I rehomed him and I'm sorry but I do judge a lot of people who get rid of their pets - they aren't something to be discarded when the going gets tough. Only someone who loves animals would understand this though.

Apologies to the OP for drifting off topic but animals and their welfare is something I feel very strongly about.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
year 2029 Posted - 06 July 2012 : 21:45:22
Hesitantly, I would also say its naive to say NEVER get rid of pets.

There's various circumstances where people have to get rid of them, and Id never judge somebody in those situations that had to.

--------------
year 2029 Posted - 06 July 2012 : 21:39:05
Niobe,
The thing that's put in place is called a tenancy agreement.
Slip of the tongue but I'm sure you meant you, your other half, family then pets?
Because when push comes to shove, that's usually the order.

Whilst I understand your sentiment, it isn't helping the OP, which is what my comments are directed at.

--------------
Niobe Posted - 06 July 2012 : 21:34:20
Sorry but me and my pets come first. I would never get rid of them.

I can understand why landlords are reluctant to let houses to tenants if they have pets but surely something could be put in place to to safeguard both landlord and tenant.

year 2029 Posted - 06 July 2012 : 21:26:34
Tracey,
Fair enough, but pets don't pay the rent.

Maybe tenants should be more understanding of their landlords and their expectations.
It works both ways.

Getting back to the OP, its about having a good working relationship.

--------------
Skippy Posted - 06 July 2012 : 21:23:34
I don't see why it should be - maybe landlords need to be more understanding. I have to say if I'm ever in a position to rent out a property pets would be the least of my worries - I prefer animals to most humans!

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
year 2029 Posted - 06 July 2012 : 21:12:51
Niobe,
If you needed to rent, and moved on everytime you saw 'no pets, no DSS'
Unless you were lucky, Id say you'd be looking a long time, or found a property in such a bad state of repair that you wouldn't want to rent it anyway.

I understand your sentiment, but its hard to apply in the real world.

--------------
year 2029 Posted - 06 July 2012 : 21:09:13
I have let property.

I have had bad tenants, with and without pets.

Most expensive refurb of one property £12k.

Deposits don't cover it.

Courts don't cover it.

I've always put no pets, as the majority of landlords do.
However, as I said would be open to negotiation, as I'm sure other landlords would.

The easiest way, as I've said is for the tenant to redecorate (if required), to the same pre tenancy standard.

Tracey,
Tenancy agreements work both ways, and landlords have a responsibility to keep property to a certain standard for the quiet enjoyment of the tenant, obviously electrical repair falls into this category, and under no circumstance should the tenant (unless qualified, and with permission), have worked on a rented property.

I'm sure we can all recount various instances when things aren't done correctly.
All I'm trying to say, is how things should happen, AND
With reference to the OP, how they may be able to circumnavigate the reoccurrence of finding tenancies that stipulate no pets.

--------------
Skippy Posted - 06 July 2012 : 19:29:30
I've never rented either and if I saw no pets I'd definitely go elsewhere! I'd live in a tent before I got rid of Harry.

Niobe Posted - 06 July 2012 : 19:25:53
I've never had to rent but, if I saw that it was 'no pets, no DSS' then I'd look elsewhere.

Our next door but one neighbour let out his house and is quite happy with pets - his first tenant actually improved the place at her own expense to make it good for her dog. The latest one has a lovely huge staffie cross!!

As regards the guide dog - we keep telling them to take the various taxi firms etc to court but they don't.

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page