Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 renting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Anna Posted - 04 August 2012 : 19:03:26
Hi, i am currently renting from a private landlord but am wanting desperatly to move and am wondering how favourable letting agencys will look on a discharged bankrupt. I am discharged this coming thursday. I know they would do credit checks which im not going to pass.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xmas baby Posted - 06 August 2012 : 15:41:02
I agree year 2029, but probably under more scrutiny if bankruptcy has been an issue in the past... maybe?
year 2029 Posted - 06 August 2012 : 13:45:25
Shy bairns get nowt, as the phrase goes.

Employment and references are the norm, bankrupt or not.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
xmas baby Posted - 06 August 2012 : 12:58:25
Thank you Niobe. Just glad to be able to give some advice to those who rent, especially those who are desperate to move for whatver reasons. I think being upfront about everything is the important thing and you will find most have no problem and definately won't 'judge' you on your past bankruptcy. I do think it helps though if you are in full time employment and have a regular income and maybe good references from work and/or your current landlord.

My philosophy these days is, if you don't ask you don't get.

xmas baby

year 2029 Posted - 06 August 2012 : 12:56:27
An encouraging post Xmas baby for those in similar situations.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Niobe Posted - 06 August 2012 : 12:48:41
Excellent post xmas baby and will give hope to some of our posters who are desperate to move.

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again

xmas baby Posted - 06 August 2012 : 12:33:24
Hi Anna,

I am in the same position with renting and I was reluctant to even pursue letting agents as I thought I had no chance of being taken on and could in no way afford the 6 month deposit they ask for. Anyway I gave it a go and went around lots of letting agents. Before doing anything I asked them if they took on discharged bankrupts just to get it out of the way and to my surprise, most said it wasn't an issue these days. Some did require 6 months rent upfront (which is ridiculous) or a guarantor (which I was lucky that my sister was happy to do). However, when it came to it, the letting agents said the guarantor was not required, so I was really surprised and happy about that. Not sure why they didn't pursue the guarantor thing though. I don't even know if they did a credit check on me but if they did, it would have almost certainly failed. Maybe I fulfilled all the other criteria and have a reliable monthly income and job, so maybe they thought it wasn't necessary and I wasn't a risk. I have now been in the flat coming up for my first year and am about to renew the lease for another 6 months. I wish I had done it sooner as the previous flat I was in was not in a very nice area and the only reason I stayed there was because I thought I had no option and couldn't do anything as the letting agents wouldn't entertain me as a discharged bankrupt. How wrong I was. I just advise you to go and have a chat with them. Be honest and at least you will know where they stand. There was one agents which did look down their nose at me when I said bankruptcy, but at the end of the day it was their loss and I am probably in a better financial position now, with no debts than most other people who are up to their necks in debts, but would quite happily be taken on by letting agents because they have good credit ratings. Figure that one out if you can.

Good luck

xmas baby
Viki.W Posted - 06 August 2012 : 11:54:43
Thanks Andy, just catching up with the posts!

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Andy Davie Posted - 06 August 2012 : 11:43:10
Hi

You have been missed Viki

Regards

Andy Davie

Spokesperson and Site Manger IVA.co.uk
Viki.W Posted - 06 August 2012 : 11:26:45
Thanks skippy, glad to be back! and thanks too for your kind offline messages.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Skippy Posted - 06 August 2012 : 11:12:24
Good to see you back Viki, you've been missed x

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

The more I have to do with humans the more I think that the world would be a better place if it was run by animals.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Viki.W Posted - 06 August 2012 : 10:36:20
Thank you, glad to be home.

and thanks for your kind offline messages Niobe.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
Niobe Posted - 06 August 2012 : 10:30:47
Nice to see you back Viki, hope you are fully recovered now.

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again

year 2029 Posted - 06 August 2012 : 10:06:09
Hi Anna,
I hope you get sorted soon.

Welcome back Viki. Hope you're sorted.

--------------
Viki.W Posted - 06 August 2012 : 09:37:28
Sounds awful Anna, hope you get something sorted.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
Anna Posted - 06 August 2012 : 06:23:55
It's to do with my neighbours, i live in a bloke of 4 flats an a take away next door. The fact its a take away isnt really an issue, i can deal with the noise late at night. Its the fact that they have no repect, they drill an bang etc all hours of the day an night( 2 or 3 in morning) for days an weeks at a time repeatedly. They throw food over our yard an have been reported but denied it was them an they keep doing it. one of my other neighbours is loud an fills all the bins so no one else can an one recently moved in who i have a shared balcony with is taking over my side an i also feel i have no privacy. Its just all getting too much for me now an now my bankruptcy is coming to a close ive decided i'd love to move an make a fresh start. Sorry if ive gone on lol :)

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page