Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Co-op stopping bank accounts for bankrupts.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Niobe Posted - 15 September 2012 : 10:20:08
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/4539623/Co-op-bank-account-OK-for-crims-but-bans-bankrupts.html

Not good - I think it's a total disgrace that they're doing this.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
admin Posted - 05 October 2012 : 13:47:09
Hi folks
Please remember the forum ethics - non judgemental at all times

admin
Skippy Posted - 05 October 2012 : 12:49:26
Niobe is right, I meant that standing in the bank and criticising them in front of other customers isn't a good move, especially when the thing that started this wasn't your problem.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

The more I have to do with humans the more I think that the world would be a better place if it was run by animals.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Niobe Posted - 05 October 2012 : 12:28:06
As far as I am aware, you are still able to get a basic Co-op account prior to going bankrupt and again after discharge.

I think that Skippy meant that she thinks it is not good to say anything about the bank infront of other customers whilst you are in the branch.
pcoventry Posted - 01 October 2012 : 22:34:44
I get that - now please answer my question. Why is stating something already in the public domain "slating"?
Skippy Posted - 01 October 2012 : 20:35:21
Personally I wouldn't have a paid account other than as a last resort and I don't like the idea using a prepaid card instead of a bank account. I have an account with Nationwide (a full Flexaccount) and I'm not charged for this. My BR drops off my credit file in 6 months so if they start to charge after that I will look somewhere else.

I had a Cashminder account when I was BR and to be honest I never had a problem with the online banking - I kept track of everything on a spreadsheet.

The more I have to do with humans the more I think that the world would be a better place if it was run by animals.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Niobe Posted - 01 October 2012 : 20:11:54
My account doesn't charge at the moment - if it starts to then I'll look elsewhere.

It's only the very basic ones that seem to be stopping as they obviously make no money at all on the accounts.
pcoventry Posted - 01 October 2012 : 20:02:43
Well it's because people dont pay that banks are stopping doing accounts. Not all accounts charge anyway.
Niobe Posted - 01 October 2012 : 19:59:55
Nobody has said that the choice is that limited, however I wouldn't go for a paid for account personally and am more than happy with the one that I have.

pcoventry Posted - 01 October 2012 : 19:43:03
I can give you 4 bank accounts and 9 pre paid cards which offer direct debit - online payments and standing order facilities with a sortcode and account number. SO the choice is not as limited as you say!
pcoventry Posted - 01 October 2012 : 19:41:20
Was I slating the bank? The bank that's said in the media that they are stopping accounts to NEW customers who go BR!?

And when an advisor stops someone from getting an account because " They are only for people who go bankrupt" not imply that the account is STILL being offered?

Or did I just hear it all wrong?

I'm going to somewhere 40 miles way tomorrow. I'll go into a co-op branch and ask if I can have the account. They won't know me. See what they say.

In any case they are welcome to keep it. I might have to go to the cashpoint to get my balance with Barclays BUT atleast it's real time. I never did like this 3 day delay. NOR do I like Tesco Cash and the Co-op giving me different amounts on the screen.
Niobe Posted - 01 October 2012 : 16:20:05
I agree with Skippy.
Skippy Posted - 01 October 2012 : 16:05:26
Sorry, I'm going to stand up for the Co-op here. Their policy clearly states that they will NOT be closing accounts for existing customers.

Any bank can choose who they want as a customer and, to be honest, anyone who is bankrupt doesn't have a great deal of choice with who to bank with so personally I would have exercised discretion before slating the bank in front of other customers.

pcoventry Posted - 01 October 2012 : 15:56:06
Because Others overheard me say that they had announced they were stopping new applications and the manager said I was discrediting the banks good name.

They are slime - no good name!
xmas baby Posted - 01 October 2012 : 15:49:40
Sorry I'm confused. Why did they ask you to withdraw all your funds?

xmas baby
pcoventry Posted - 01 October 2012 : 14:03:23
Well, I just went into my local branch and whilst waiting I heard someone, (who had picked up a leaflet for a basica ccount) be told " they are only for people who have gone bankrupt.

I asked the lady if that was right and told her what I had heard/seen. She asked me not to speculate. And as I was at the counter I was asked by the manager to withdraw all my funds!.

Never mind, I was going to leave them anyway and go back to Barclays. I told him on the way out that having connections in both radio and print from my previous employments he should watch this space. And i've been to the local radio station which is 200 yards up the road from him. (where I volunteer)

Bank managers = c^^ks.

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page