Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Discharged from bankruptcy 2013. It transpires that a second loan is still on the house

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Loz.55 Posted - 01 March 2015 : 22:16:30
Hi.
We had to close our business in 2010. We declared the business insolvent via an Insolvency Practitioner. She recommended waiting until one of our creditors petitioned for BR. They didn't so we went to CAP debt mgt charity and filed for BR in Nov 2012 and were discharged in 2013. The OR declared BI in our house of £400 so we bought it back and our solicitor is in the process of transferring the deeds.
Whilst looking through the paperwork I noticed that there was a second charge from HSBC still on the house. Assuming this was an oversight we asked our solicitor to let HSBC know that we were discharged. It transpires (as a lot of people will know -but not ourselves) that this secured debt remains.

When we were with the IP and CAP we were told to keep paying our mortgage (which we did) and send any other letters or demands to them. At no point did anyone mention that we should keep paying this loan but perhaps they thought we were aware of this and also at the time were unable to pay it as it was a business loan and there was no longer a business., This loan was secured in 2009. The last payment was in Sept 2010. The balance was13k.

We have had no contact from HSBC in over 4 years. Even when the solicitor wrote asking to have the charge removed HSBC simply replied a month later telling her there was 16k owing secured against the house and if she needed any more details to contact them on the number below. When I subsequently phoned Securities the girl didn't even ask my name and told me to write in.

How do we approach HSBC without stirring up a hornet’s nest? We want to come to a reduced figure which we can pay off monthly. Is that possible? Why have they not contacted us or applied for repossession? Are they waiting for house prices to rise? So many questions but I can't find anyone to whom this has happened as 2nd charges have normally taken action by now. We live in Northern Ireland in case that makes any difference legally.

Thanks
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Viki.W Posted - 03 March 2015 : 05:12:32
Hi Loz,

As Niobe has said, the bankruptcy wouldn't cover the secured loan.

It's strange that they haven't chased you.

If you want to start to repay this loan then do exactly what you said, ask if you can come to an arrangement that you can afford.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Niobe Posted - 02 March 2015 : 08:19:48
As you are still in the house and paying the mortgage then the secured loan will still stand as far as I know but I've no idea how things stand in Northern Ireland.

Hopefully Viki will be able to pick up on this and give some advice.

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page