Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 does Santander credit check before agreeing to account?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shelleyandrew76 Posted - 04 June 2010 : 12:22:08
I was discharged in December last year and a couple of weeks ago applied online to an ISA account with Santander. I today received confirmation of this account (woo hoo) I was so worried being turned down AGAIN.

Anyway my question is does Santander credit check before agreeing to account? Its just that my husband was discharged today (another woo hoo) and he doesnt want to apply for an account if they do a credit cheque. I know I was accepted but I havent been on the insolvency register for over 2 months. Do you think he will be ok to try now, or will it be best to try when he falls off the register in 3 months OR do you think it does not matter and should just go for it.

Many thanks for replies in advance :-)
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
369 Posted - 08 June 2010 : 16:45:37
Hi,
Well I have just applied for a Vanquis Card so i will see what they come back with - they do say that they will respond in 1 Minute - then at the end of the application it said that it would take longer and that they will respond to me in 10-14 days. I think any application for anything that you make stays on your report for a year.

So Skippy who is your ISA with now then? Or anyone else, if you have an ISA who have you gone through to get it.

Thanks!
Skippy Posted - 08 June 2010 : 10:55:47
I can't remember which ISA I had as it was a couple of years ago and I switched when I realised what a poor interest rate it had, even back then. Not that I've got enough money to make a difference!

I'm not sure how long any searches stay on your account.

I can't believe how quickly the last 3 years have gone. I'll be so glad when the last payment goes out (and the RTLU and MB agree with me!) as I'll feel I can really move on.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

35 IPA payments made, 1 to go - 20 days and counting!
369 Posted - 08 June 2010 : 10:39:15
Thank Skippy. Wow only one more payment - I remember when you were making your first payment! Gosh how time flies!

Which Santander ISA have you got as they seem to have a few on their website? Just so Im not applying for all of the wrong ones.

I have done the pre-paid cash plus card, and now want to try vanquis - just trying to do anything to build up my credit rating as i was discharged in 2008. But if you are unsuccessful at getting any of these accounts - it only stays on your file for a year doesnt it - so i might as well do it in the next 4 years - before the Bankruptcy comes off my file.
Skippy Posted - 07 June 2010 : 16:23:38
I don't know to be honest - it may depend whether you had any debts with Santander.

I applied for the Vanquis card online and was very surprised when I got one - it was a bit scary having credit to be honest!

My last IPA payment is on 28th June, so only 3 weeks to go. Unfortunately as I said on another post Moon Beever and the RTLU don't agree, (they don't even agree with each other!) but it shouldn't be too difficult to prove.

I can't wait until the last payment goes out!

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

35 IPA payments made, 1 to go - 21 days and counting!
369 Posted - 07 June 2010 : 16:02:40
Thank you. So, do all people who have been bankrupt and apply get it then if there is no credit check? As some of the other banks do a check and turn people down.

Also, Skippy I know that you have a Vanquis card, did you just apply on line for that - or did you speak to someone first to see if you would be eligable?

Also, getting a catalogue account as well - shall I phone up first and see if they will accept me - or are there specific ones who will accept you.

When is your last IPA payment Skippy - bet you will be relieved!
Skippy Posted - 07 June 2010 : 11:59:45
You don't need an account with Santander to have an ISA. You don't need to pay in a set amount each month.

35 IPA payments made, 1 to go - not long to go now!
369 Posted - 07 June 2010 : 11:42:13
Hi All,
I was wondering about getting an ISA. Do you have to put in a certain amount each month? Also, with the Santander one - do you have to have an account with them to apply for it? I have an Abbey Cash Card - does that count?
Thanks
Jane.l Posted - 06 June 2010 : 10:10:15
I have just opened a savings account with Barclays, high interest, don't think they credit check as I applied online over the Bank Holiday weekend and on Tuesday, when I looked at my current accounts online, the savings account was on there too!

I have 2 basic current accounts with them so that might have been easier to open because of that, I have deposited a lump sum and set up a standing order monthly to pay money in to it from my wage, as my wage is all surplus income, we live off hubby's wage.

yes, thats right, I have savings, for the first time in my life it is only since bankruptcy that I have been able to have savings, its a good feeling
shelleyandrew76 Posted - 05 June 2010 : 19:59:00
I went into Santander Branch this morning and asked them if they Credit Check when you apply for an ISA and they said no. So I came home and set one up for my husband. That's good to know. So if anyone wants a savings account but is always being turned down - try Santander ISA - they do not credit check :-)

shelleyandrew76 Posted - 05 June 2010 : 08:42:29
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I had a 30 day free trial a couple of months ago as I wanted to check what it was like - not good and I cant be bothered to write all the letters to everyone. I will not be going for credit in the future so it doesnt really matter to me. I think I will leave it until he falls off the insolvency register, just to be sure.

chester2005 Posted - 04 June 2010 : 15:10:23
have you access to your credit files ie. credit expert (experian) and equifax?
i have noticed on the Reviva website www.revivauk.com that you can get 30 days access to experian free, that may be worth doing?
it would show on your credit files if Santander did a credit check on you and when.
i personally would think that they have.

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurhman)
RevivaUK and Paul Johns helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page