Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I am considering bankrupcy as I am struggling to repay my debt

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Faye.85 Posted - 14 November 2011 : 16:29:19
I am considering bankrupcy as I am struggling to repay my debt of approx £12000 and only earning £800 a month. I have a car that I bought this year with a loan, i bought the car for £4,000 but do not know the value of it now. I am 25 years old and am getting married in 9months, which my partner is currently paying for.
Would I be better off declairing bankrupcy at this stage? I am struggling and do not know what to do.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Niobe Posted - 15 November 2011 : 13:12:01
I think I'd consider either a DMP or DRO as well.

Have a chat with an expert, click on the link on the left hand side of the page and speak to someone.

The advice is free.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Daniel Griffiths Posted - 15 November 2011 : 12:55:53
Hi Faye

At 25 years of age just starting out in a relationship I would certainly echo exploring the debt management route, bankruptcy in the mid twenties with debts of around 12k should in my opinion be the last resort and if at all possible avoided.
debtinfo Posted - 14 November 2011 : 17:56:58
although if you sold the car and replaced it with a cheaper one using the remainder to pay to your creditors you would then perhaps qualify for a DRO, but as meanie says, take advice and look at all options
Melanie.n Posted - 14 November 2011 : 16:46:43
Hello there, have you considered a debt management plan? If not i would strongly recommend that you talk to a Debt management complany such as the Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS 0800 1381111) they will go through your options with you - at not costs as this is a charity based company.

It is always sensible to look at all the options available to you - as you have a car, ehich no doubt you require for work, it would be better to look at other options before deciding upon bankruptcy. You would not qualify for a Debt Relief Order (Similar to bankruptcy for debts under £15k as you have a car over £1,000 in value)

Bankruptcy is going to incur costs of £700 - so you would be better off considering options such as a low cost DMP through one of the charity providers such as CCCS or PAYPLAN (0800 716239) which would enable you to keep the vehicle - if you could free up funds each month to pay towards your debt..

You have nothing to lose by having a chat with them - if after reviewingyour circumstances they recommend bankruptcy, please do not hesitate to come back as we will be more than happy to help - but explore your options first!

Melanie Nicholas CertDR
30 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page