Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 If I declare bankruptcy will I be able to have a bank account ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Maria.nd Posted - 04 March 2014 : 15:46:27
I pay several direct debits for insurances, internet etc. If I declare bankruptcy will I still be able to have a bank account to do this?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Niobe Posted - 26 March 2014 : 16:21:57
I personally wouldn't pay for an account if I could get a free one but if you're desperate then it's sometimes the only way to go.

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

pcoventry2 Posted - 26 March 2014 : 14:32:57
It's still the same, but still a rip off.

http://www.thinkmoney.co.uk/open-an-account/ (under the form)
Niobe Posted - 26 March 2014 : 08:27:23
I think that's probably gone up by now.

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

pcoventry2 Posted - 25 March 2014 : 14:54:07
not to mention think's £14,95 a month charge.. Or was when I had one
Skippy Posted - 18 March 2014 : 14:38:59
To be honest, if I was going BR now I would take a chance and open the Co-op account. I had it while I was BR and it's a good account and there are no charges. I had an account with Think for a while when I was BR and their customer service was shocking, the Co-op was so much better.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

The more I have to do with humans the more I think that the world would be a better place if it was run by animals.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010. I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Niobe Posted - 14 March 2014 : 20:36:44
There is also Clearcash and Secure Trust as well.

pcoventry2 Posted - 14 March 2014 : 20:33:28
Yes I've personal experience on a think money one which with the credit builder can be a good product, as you say there is a fee which I think was £14.95 a month whee I had it.
Niobe Posted - 14 March 2014 : 14:01:25
Co-op definitely will not take you on as an undisclosed bankrupt.

I stand corrected on Barclays although it is the most basic account.

You can, of course, open up a managed bank account which will accept you regardless. It does carry a monthly fee though.

pcoventry2 Posted - 14 March 2014 : 13:49:13
I am blessed to have both the Co-Op and the Barclays 2 doors away from each other. I've asked this morning. Co-Op say if it's discovered it was obtained with this intention they will close it. Barclays will do the account for undischarged bankrupts still and will restore all the missing bits on proof of discharge (as they would have done with me but I closed mine down during the BR anyway)

This is what the banks say, who's right and who's wrong really is of no interest to me.
Niobe Posted - 13 March 2014 : 20:31:59
You can still take out a Co-op account before bankruptcy but I believe Barclays won't do them for undischarged bankrupts anymore.

pcoventry2 Posted - 13 March 2014 : 19:52:21
I believe I mentioned this a long time ago. The Co-op stopped doing these account for bankrupts in 2012. It's why I chucked mine in and went to Barclays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19621680

I think they still do them it's an account with no online banking.

Viki.W Posted - 04 March 2014 : 18:57:29
Hi Maria,

As Niobe has said, you would need to open a bankruptcy friendly account prior to bankruptcy. Co-op cashminder is a good one.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Niobe Posted - 04 March 2014 : 16:27:35
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You will be able to have a bank account but be aware that not many banks are BR friendly. I believe the Co-op still are.

Alternatively you could consider something like Clearcash or Secure Trust but these do carry a monthly fee.

Before you make any decisions as to BR, speak to an expert as to all the options open to you.

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page