Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 bankruptcy court date on tuesday....am i ready?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lost hope
Starting Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2010 :  23:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya,have previously posted on here and found some great advise!im hoping this will be my last panic post!!
i am going for it on tuesday, and after a lot of stress i think im ready and forms are done..
1)i have 3 copies of forms and the court fee what else do i need to take?(Any other documents?)
2?what actually happens on tuesday when i go to court?(im scared!!)
3)when will the OR phone?as i work in the week and it may be difficult to take a 'private' call?
4)when my account is froze, what happens to my wages (as i will be paid4 days after) and need it all for bills etc what will happen if i miss the bills because of this?
thanks

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2010 :  23:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) thats it forms and money, the OR might want other stuff later, they will let you know.
2)Bearing in mind that every court has a slightly different procedure, this is the general format in most courts. You turn up at the appointed time, A clerk will look through your forms and make any corrections if necessary, you pay your money and sign the affidavit. Usually you either wait or come back later whilst the clerk takes all of the petitions to the judge. When he/she comes back they will tell you if you have to see the judge (some do some dont, it is not a sign that their is any kind of problem)If you see the judge they usually just ask if you have taken advice and are aware of the consequenses and if you are sure that you want to proceed, usuually not more than a couple of minutes. I should add that the judge will be in a private office not in open court. once the Order is stamped you are bankrupt. The clerk will make copies.

3) at this point either you will call the OR or the OR will call you within a couple of days. this is generally just a 5 min call not your interview, they ask about a bank account ie if you want one left open to receive your wages (which covers point 4)they also take contact details and ask if you have any special needs. They will ask if you have been trading and take details if you have and will ask if there are any immediate problems that need to be sorted (for instance if a creditor is trying to take you to court), and thats it, like i say some courts and OR's vary a bit from this but that is the general process
Go to Top of Page

lost hope
Starting Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  00:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aww thanks for your advise again...must be gettin fed up of me!
do i need to take any form of ID?
that doesnt sound so bad what actually happens!is there any way they could refuse my bankruptcy?how long does it usually take?
ahhh so you can keep an account open!?thats been my biggest worry!i get paid on friday...and by followin monday need to pay bills!so how long after tues will they phone for the proper phone interview?
Go to Top of Page

chester2005
Average Member

United Kingdom
786 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  03:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no id necessary
BR is generally only refused if you have not taken advice so if asked say the CAB it apparently makes them feel good
it is up to the banks if they let you keep an account open , most people open a CO-OP cashminder account, you can do that over the phone they are very BR friendly and you can do it before you go to court and change the direct debits etc over after court
Each OR is different but generally within a week they will tell you when and ask if that time is ok with you

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurman)
RevivaUK helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  10:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Chester!

The CAB do like to be acknowledged and rightly so too.

Hope things are improving healthwise

regards, Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and hero of mine!!)
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  12:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck for tuesday

regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

lost hope
Starting Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  12:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your advise!CAB?sorry who's this?i have had advise from serveral places and have been thinking about it for nearly a year! so i def feel its the right thing!!just want it over with now!!
i opened up a basic barclays account and set all that up for direct debits and wages etc, so im hoping they wont freeze this!Is the OR any thing to be worrid about?i mean everything i will tell him is honest etc so im hoping he will be ok!
thanks for ur replies!
Go to Top of Page

lost hope
Starting Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  12:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks richard p i feel i need good luck!!:|
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  12:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
citizen advice bureau

one step at time court day first then look towards Or meeting

the OR meeting is not scarry if you have been honest.

i do not know your full situation but if the OR considers your case straight forward they may opt for a phone interview

If you are asked form a office interview, it is normally just to clarify points on your statement of affairs, again not to be worrried about

regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  12:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI

The CAB is the Citizens Advice Bureau - they are a national organisation (a national charity) that are in most towns and cities and they give free advice on a range of issues, including on debt and what steps to take, Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and hero of mine!!)
Go to Top of Page

lost hope
Starting Member

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  12:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah..should of known that!i went to an debt advise centre who have been advising me to go BR!(i also had advise over a year ago from a debt agency who mislead me into an iva which i feel was wrong advise!) but think im on right track now!!just want tues to be out of the way and start a fresh!
hopefully it will be ok, as i have been completely honest all the way through!
im guessing compared with some i have quite a simple case!(no assets,no surplus monthly income etc)
thanks again guys!!will def be back after tues to let you know how it went and hopefully beable to help anyone starting the rollercoaster journey!
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2010 :  15:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you have been self employed there is a good chance you will have a phone interview. The interview was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting - if you have a look at my blog there is a section on my morning at the court and the interview, although as debtinfo says procedures vary between courts.

Good luck for Tuesday, and please let us know how you get on x

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

30 IPA payments made, 6 to go - the end is in sight!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page