Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Keep the residential house or not?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NoMoney
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2010 :  20:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Forum,

I am in the process of stepping into bankruptcy. I just thought of asking your opinion if I should keep my residential house or just opt to rent during bankruptcy?

The house is joint ownership which we live in. Recently valued by agent at rougly £125K. Outstanding mortgage (roughly £105K), secured loan (rougly £33K). We are paying roughly £850/mo. on both mortgage and secured loan, but in our area you can rent a decent house for £600/mo. The reason we took a secured loan was to buy an investment house, but this second house would definitely be taken when I apply for BR, and so I can't see any reason why we have to pay for the secured loan anymore.

I don't have a job at the moment, and can't see myself getting one in the very near future due to economic condition. Only the wife is earning.

Would it be more financially beneficial to us if we just rent and surrender the residential property? Or do we keep the house for awhile and surrender it if things go bad?

Thanks for your insight.

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2010 :  20:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you both going bankrupt
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2010 :  21:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

In the first instance, I suggest that you make contact with one of the insolvency experts on the site and explore what options there might be.

Are there any arrears on the first and second charges at the moment?

Are you both thinking of petitioning for bankruptcy?

At this stage, if there are no arrears and no court action pending on the mortgages, take a pause and see what the insolvency experts advise you.

If there are arrears and court actions pending, post back and i will give your situation some more thought.

You will find all the experts on the left hand side.

My first advice is do not stress and think about options that may emerge for you.

My regards, Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and one of my best heroes!!)
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2010 :  21:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

In the first instance, I suggest that you make contact with one of the insolvency experts on the site and explore what options there might be.

Are there any arrears on the first and second charges at the moment?

Are you both thinking of petitioning for bankruptcy?

At this stage, if there are no arrears and no court action pending on the mortgages, take a pause and see what the insolvency experts advise you.

If there are arrears and court actions pending, post back and i will give your situation some more thought.

You will find all the experts on the left hand side.

My first advice is do not stress and think about options that may emerge for you.

My regards, Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and one of my best heroes!!)
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2010 :  21:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How strange, my post hit twice!!

I cannot explain that....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page