Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 what bank account?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

munchkin
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2010 :  19:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to court yesterday and filed for bankruptcy which was granted. I tried opening a natwest current account but they refused. Could someone advice on which bank account to apply for.
Many thanks

David F

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2010 :  19:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Munchkin,

Would recommend the Co-op Cashminder Account or Barclays Cashcard Account BOTH are BR friendly. The other company I have heard about but don't know that much about are called Think Banking, but I think they charge a monthly fee.You will find them at www.thinkbanking.co.uk

Good luck and all the best,

David
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  06:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Co-op are highly recommended and a lot of people, myself included, have an account with them.

I would only use Think Banking as a last resort as they do charge a fee but if you can't get any other bank account then they are worth knowing about.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  09:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Just to add support for the Coo-op Cashminder account.

Be warned though of the fact they are very tough if you stray into an overdraft - they give you 3 chances and then serve notice to close the account.

That having been said they are very BR friendly and I have one and so does my wife (who is not BR)

Good luck, Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and one of my best heroes!!)

Edited by - Housing on 28 January 2010 09:47:22
Go to Top of Page

munchkin
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  09:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2012 :  11:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have an account with the co-op and have done since my bankruptcy in 2009. However, due to some transactions being accepted by the cooperative bank even though insufficient funds were in my account, they have served notice that my account could result in closure if I continue to mismanage my account. I have to say that I check my finances on a daily basis and regardless of how vigilant I am, it seems there is always a hiccup with a direct debit coming out when you weren't expecting it or they change the date of the direct debit arrangement. I am just worried that no matter how vigilant I am with my account there is always something that trips you up unexpectedly. I hope the don't close my account now as I really don't think I deserve to be penalised in this way. The are also very clever in that they charge you each time they reject a DD payment if there are not sufficient funds in your account. I could understand that fee if they had accepted the payment, but to refuse it and then charge you is ridiculous. No wonder the banks are making so much profits.

I could quite easily do without a bank account if I didn't need it to pay for everyday services, but unfortunately it is a necessity.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2012 :  15:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Although i have a CO-OP cashminder account, i do all my usual transactions through Think Banking. Yes, i know it costs £14.50 per month, but to me, its money well spent. They give you 2 accounts, one is a salary account, where your funds are paid in, and your bills go out, and the second is a card account..which is the only one you can spend from, and since they put the balance after your direct debits into the card account..you know that the money in there is yours.
Also, the text service is superb.

I wish i was better at organising my money...but i`m not (reason for BR?!), and anyway, it saves me from worrying what money i can spend!.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2012 :  10:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Think Banking £14.50 a month for a single account now? I know it has it's place but I think that's a shocking amount of money!!!

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

glafy
forum expert

436 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2012 :  10:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too can recommend the Co-Op Cashminder accounts. My husband & I (!!) opened these accounts prior to going BR, we told the bank of our plans & they were fine. I will agree with xmas baby, I have been charged £15 for a return of a DD. It was completely my fault but it does seem an unfair amount for a rejection to pay. The other thing with the account is that the online statements are horribly slow to update so you have to ensure that you know EXACTLY how much you have in your account at all times. That said, I would still recommend them as a BR friendly bank.
Good Luck with everything.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2012 :  13:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, £14.50 is a lot of money!, but i haven`t had to pay any other charges, thrown at us for various reasons. Like i said, the text service is superb..i can buy something, then request my balance, and know instantly, that the money has gone...and what is left. I`m also notified by text when anything is paid in...amd what is kept for bills, and what is available on my card, (for spending).
The money i pay for that, would also be very useful elsewhere..but for me...never having to worry about the banking stuff...is worth it!!.

Ya pays your money, and ya takes ya choice!!.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2012 :  16:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I check my online banking several times a week - I know when all of my DD;s etc go out and how much I have left once that happens. Mine is also instantly updated.

Whilst it obviously works for you, I could never justify paying a fee for an account when I can get one for free.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2012 :  20:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a problem with the coop bank is that it is really slow. I look at the online banking and think 'wow, i've got 300 until pay day', thinking that things have gone out, in they havent yet at all. I also wish they did an iPhone app so i could more easily keep track of stuff

Finally got head out of sand in October 2010
BR March 2011
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2012 :  21:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Co-op does take time to update but, as long as you keep a note of your balance and what you have spent then you should be able to keep a note of your finances.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: