Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 housing
 Finding a rental property
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pob303
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2010 :  19:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I was discharged from my bankruptcy about 2 years ago. I currently rent with my wife but we are splitting up and need to find a new place to live.

I am employed and can afford circa £500 per month rent and a similar amount in a deposit.

I am worried about the credit checks that all letting agencies seem to complete. Are there any agencies out there that will consider an application from me? I currently live and work in the NW.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2010 :  19:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
many people recommend gumtree which puts you in touch with private landlords that tend to be more lenient than agencies
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2010 :  10:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning pob303,

As has been suggested gumtree is a good start. Theye are generally private individual landlords and they are more interested in letting their property as quickly as they can.

If you have dependent children, your local council may assist you with deposit/bond to cover your rental period.

A lot of agents do do credit checks - try the small independent ones, they are more helpful. We used to take BR tenants and never had any problem and that was a while ago before I had to file for BR myself.

Good luck, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions"
Go to Top of Page

ONK

135 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2010 :  16:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I have had the same problem myself. All the agencies said that as BR will show up on my credit check that i would need a guarantor - and i dont have one !

So I looked on Gumtree last week , found a property within mins and im moving in April. No credit checks , no admin fees , just dealing direct with the landlord and have paid her part of the bond to hold the property until 1st week of April. I thought i would never find something.

Also have a look online at 123 ads etc.

Good luck
Lyndsey
Go to Top of Page

pob303
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2010 :  01:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the help everyone.
Go to Top of Page

beth83
Starting Member

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2010 :  16:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, we have got similar problems, ive just looked at gumtree and it only seems to cover london, is there any similar sites that cover the north west of england? we have found some great homes near us where we want but like you say we have to have credit checks which is no good. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2010 :  16:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Funnily enough I have been wanting to find out what the Letting Agency take on this issue is, so I went in and had a chat with them at the weekend. I have only just been discharged and I explained this to them, but they didn't seem to have a problem and definately didn't mention that I would have to have a guarantor or 6 months deposit. This may only apply if you are an undischarged bankrupt though I am not sure. They did say that as I would obviously fail a credit check, they would need to see if the landlord was happy with me taking on a flat,and providing I could give them letters confirming full time employment and possibly one from my present landlord to show I have paid rent on time, they couldn't see a problem. I am going to wait a little while longer, but proof will be in the pudding I guess.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 09 March 2010 :  09:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

From my experience, a lot of independent agents adopt a more pragmatic approach and do not see credit checks as the only way to find a suitable tenant.

All of the BR tenants we had wer better that most others!

Good luck, Richard

quote:
Originally posted by xmas baby

Hi all,

Funnily enough I have been wanting to find out what the Letting Agency take on this issue is, so I went in and had a chat with them at the weekend. I have only just been discharged and I explained this to them, but they didn't seem to have a problem and definately didn't mention that I would have to have a guarantor or 6 months deposit. This may only apply if you are an undischarged bankrupt though I am not sure. They did say that as I would obviously fail a credit check, they would need to see if the landlord was happy with me taking on a flat,and providing I could give them letters confirming full time employment and possibly one from my present landlord to show I have paid rent on time, they couldn't see a problem. I am going to wait a little while longer, but proof will be in the pudding I guess.

xmas baby

"There are no problems - only solutions"
Go to Top of Page

ONK

135 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2010 :  08:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re Gumtree , it automatically defaults to Lodon , you have to click on the "change City" link and chose from the list
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page