Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I have two bank loans and a credit card total paym
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kim1213
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2010 :  18:26:31  Show Profile  Visit kim1213's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have two bank loans and a credit card total payments each month are 450 rent council tax and direct debts make total monthly out goings to 1200 pounds this is with food and general expense. My hours have been halved at work. I have not missed any payments yet but will not be able to cover this month even with 900 over draft worrying my self into illness and depression even considering suicide. I am 48 have a son living with me who is unemployed. Have always paid debts in past but for past 2 years existing not living would I be wise to go bankrupt and who would be best people to talk to citizen advice or solisitor

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2010 :  20:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kim

welcome to the forum

I am sorry to read your situation, it is not uncommon and not unsolveable

lets examine what is causing the worry (i found the lack of understanding of the system very upsetting), I did not need the banks phoning me every few minutes telling me that i owed them money i knew ! I had been brought up to honour my debts but sometimes things happen that are out of your control

whilst you are still working their may be other options other than Bankruptcy. BR may be appropriate but we have time on our side to properly plan and help you feel right about the process

The banks and credit cards will take about 3 months before they really start sending horrible letters although the first one will probably cause you some upset.

prioritise and list your monthly out goings

Rent and Food should be close to the top

bank loans and credit cards might be close to the bottom.

do not be tempted to take out a consolidation loan because unless work suddenly picks up for you or your son then you are still putting off a decision.

Go and speak to your local housing officer (coucil or housing association) and establish what they can do to help and rehouse you (might help reduce the rent)

seek your doctors help for your feelings, or visit one of the local churches, most have pastoral care teams or listerners

personally I would speak to one of the experts on this forum or citizens advice bureau, solicitors in general terms do not understand the BR process enough to be able to help.

i have just read this back and it reads very dictorial, i dont mean it to be I just want to offer practical cyber advice and support to help you through the difficult times ahead.

Keep posting on the forum their are lots of fantastic people on this forum, who will share experiences and frustrations

regards Richard

Edited by - Richard P on 12 April 2010 20:14:24
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2010 :  22:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim,

Richard P has given some good advice.

You are not alone with stress, depression and your feelings of self harm. I strongly advise you to see your GP - they will have a person attached to the practice who will be able to give you support and maybe, if necessary counselling.

The CAB may be a good starting point for advice too. They will look at your whole situation and make some suggestions to consider.

Do NOT look at self harm - life is precious - take it from me!

I wish you well and come back as you need to, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page