Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Failed credit check
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baxi

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2010 :  22:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

It's quite a while since i've been on the forum, i went BR on 23/06/2009 and this website helped me no end before i declared. I got an early discharge in Feb this year .

I had alot of things set up before i went BR like landline, SKY TV, etc. Today i tried to change my landline from BT to O2, but i failed a credit check , i didn't even realise they'd check me as i only wanted line rental and free evening and weekend calls. I recently changed my broadband to O2 with no problems.

I was thinking about changing my mobile contract (i'm with Orange but didn't tell them about BR as i kept up with paying my bills)but looks like i'll have no chance of that.

So my question is, how long did people find it took before they got accepted for basic credit like landlines etc?

I've noticed there is a thread about car insurance, i haven't told Direct Line i'm BR, should i? I don't see why they need to know?

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2010 :  07:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they don't ask are you BR then you don't have to tell them BUT I would check the small print if I were you.
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2010 :  07:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they do a credit check, you will fail, we recently changed our phone line and broadband provider and tried to put it in my name, they did the credit check and then asked if I had ever been bankrupt then they tried it in hubby's name, same result We put it in our son's name in the end as he is just 18 but the payments are coming out of our bank account, they were fine with this arrangement. Its the only negative thing about our bankruptcies that we have encoutered. We have had no trouble with car insurance and I even managed to open a small catalogue account even though I have not made any attempt to clean up our credit files. We have a council house so no intention of ever moving again and I have a PAYG phone.

ETA: it is nearly 3 years now since we went bankrupt

Edited by - Jane.l on 10 June 2010 08:00:03
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2010 :  08:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would definitely check the small print on the car insurance policy as they will normally try anything to get out of paying out.

All you can really do for your credit file is clean it up as per the instructions at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=677875 to make sure that your BR debts are shown as partially satisfied/satisfied rather than default.

You can also get a Vanquish credit card as this will also help your credit file but it will be far from perfect until your BR debts drop-off, which is 6 yrs after your BR date.
Go to Top of Page

366 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2010 :  13:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Jane you said that you had managed to open up a small catelogue - i was just wondering which one it was, and how you did it - was it online? I am trying to re-build my credit as well. I have been discharged for nearly 3 years, and just want to build up my credit again. I have applied for a Vanquis card but have not heard anything back, which probably means that i have been declined - but I dont understand why some people get it and others dont. I am on electoral roll, I have cleaned up my credit file as much as i can....
Go to Top of Page

GUSS
Starting Member

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2010 :  10:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI BAXI AFTER WE WENT BANKRUPT WE MOVED HOME AND CHANGE FROM
TALK TALK TO BT, I TOLD THEM JUST GONE BANKRUPT SAID THEY WOULD
STILL DO A CREDIT CHECK AND EVERYTHING WENT THROUGH OK THAT WAS IN 2009 PERHAPS WE WERE JUST LUCKY

GOOD LUCK GUSS
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2010 :  14:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Baxi

Just going to comment on car insurance, some companies are very helpful to BR ( I found coop insurance very helpful, I had already opened a cash minder account so they knew my circumstances)

I have had a nightmare journey with Norwich Union / Aviva, cancelling car insurance (which they said was a computer error) doubling yearly amount so i could not pay by monthly installments.

It really pays to be upfront spend some time talking to people, dont bother too much with the computer side of the comparison sites as BR always sets of an alarm.

My Mob Phone, prior to going BR i paid a double month so in effect my account is always in credit, they are aware that i am bankrupt but they said as i am a month in advance they were not concerned

regadrs Richard
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2010 :  17:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As to insurance for car, home etc - the Co-op are excellent =- they are totally BR friendly. Suggest you look at the small print as has already been suggested. If there is a line about BR and you have not told them, you will not be covered.

On mobile phones, T Mobile are good too.

I wish you well, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions"
Go to Top of Page

chester2005
Average Member

United Kingdom
786 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2010 :  09:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all companies that provide credit operate on a credit scoring system, most differ to some extent how they score you.
Some will accept a lower score than others but they will all do a search on you with a CRA
this is partly why it is important to have your credit file updated after discharge, your score is low enough with BR on your file you can do without having wrong info on it as well.

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurhman)
RevivaUK and Paul Johns helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2010 :  10:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am now discharged from bankruptcy, but I did read the small print in my home insurance which contained a clause regarding bankruptcy. I did not inform them while I was bankrupt and luckily didn't need to claim on the insurance. What I would like to know is, now that I am discharged, would the 'bankruptcy' clause still apply to me as I have been bankrupt in the past or does it only apply to your current position?

Thanks

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2010 :  12:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chances are the bankruptcy clause would still apply as insurance companies will do pretty much anything to either increase your premium or get out of paying a claim.

It really depends upon the wording in the small print i.e. someone who 'is' BR rather than someone who 'was' BR, etc. The only way to know for sure is to check with the insurance company themselves.
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2010 :  14:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gettingoutofdebt,

I think the wording is not particularly precise, stating just 'bankruptcy', so I am not going to give them the excuse of raising my premiums just because I have been bankrupt, so I am going to keep my mouth shut. I'm fed up with these organisations trying to make a fast buck and using our bankruptcies as an excuse to make money. If push comes to shove, I would rather not be covered.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2010 :  22:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful about not mentioning it - if the worst happened and you were burgled, flooded etc do you want to risk losing everything because you weren't honest with the insurance company?

Our insurance was slightly higher when I was BR, but when I was discharged it went down after my OH notified them.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 - it's over at last!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page