Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 If there is a little equity in the house
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David.rl
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2010 :  17:05:42  Show Profile  Visit David.rl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If there is a little equity in the house about £7 - £10k, and the OR ordered the house to be sold, which I am not concerned about as I am now living with my new partner at her mothers, would I still be liable for any shortfall when the Mortgage company sold it?

Also I have a car on finance, the car is worth about £8k, but the finance left is also just over £8k. I understand that I will lose the car, but again do I have to contact Black Horse or will the OR? I have an appointment to file at the end of July.

Edited by - David.rl on 28 June 2010 19:44:01

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2010 :  17:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, also for a small amount of equity they might not force a sale at this time, they do have 3 ears to deal with it, i presume the mortgage is not being paid at the moment
Go to Top of Page

David.rl
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2010 :  18:46:06  Show Profile  Visit David.rl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the very quick reply...I have been on a mortgagge break for the last 2 months, however it is due tomorrow and as I am now on Job seekers allowance I have no way of paying it.
I feel so awful about this situation as until I was made redundant last July and again this April, my debt although quite high (due to my previous partners insistence on new things constantly) it was manageable, however I just cannot continue with any payments so bankruptcy is my only option. I have about £29,000 worth of unsecured debt plus the mortgage.
I have also read that it is sometimes better to do a voluntary reposession, but again I am worried about the potential shortfall.
thanks for your help it is much appreciated, i am feeling somewhat lost at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2010 :  07:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do decide to give the property up voluntarily then any shortfall will be included in the BR. If you haven't been paying the mortgage for a couple of months and it doesn't look like you will be able to pay it in the near future then it may be better to give the property up.

It's definitely not an easy decision so you should think carefully about what to do about the property.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page