Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Beneficial interest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

paula.01
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  14:09:46  Show Profile  Visit paula.01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My ex-husband has recently gone bankrupt, i want to know where i stand where beneficial interest is concerned. my ex-husband and i bought the house arount 8 years agoon a joint ownership scheme, which meant we had no deposit to pay and a low mortgage of £28,000. After 2 years we re-mortgaged to buy back the part of the property owned by the other party. our mortgage was then £68,000. 4 months after this my partner and i seperated and i took over the full mortgage payments. he has since made no payments towards the mortgage, does this affect his beneficial interest as i have been approached by the receivers to buy his beneficial interest.

paula.01
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  14:29:26  Show Profile  Visit paula.01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i am realy worried that i am unable to afford to buy his beneficial interest as i am on my own with my 3 kids and have no savings, and dont want to have to sell my home when i have struggled for so long to continue paying the mortgage,so as not to uproot and unsettle my children....any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  17:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much do they want you to pay for his BI?
Go to Top of Page

paula.01
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  17:20:29  Show Profile  Visit paula.01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
im not actually sure until i get a valuation but i rang and spoke to receivers who said it would usually be 50% of any equity. Thanks for your reply, any feedback is most appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  18:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, is the mortgage repayment or interest only? If it were repayment I would imagine you could take 6 years worth of equity off his share too, if he wasn't paying it. Make sure you ask for a quick sale valuation.
Go to Top of Page

paula.01
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  18:11:50  Show Profile  Visit paula.01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the mortgage is part interest only, £48,000 of it, and part repayment, £20,000 of it. There is currently about £65,700 owing on the property. Im expecting it to be valued at around the £80,000 mark.I know the equity may not seem a great deal but its a lot to me, having no savings and already struggling to make ends meet..... it seems wrong that im only entitled to half the bi when he hasnt contributed to the mortgage for so long.Thanks again, paula.

Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  18:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They can't do anything without getting court orders anyway so don't panic just yet. Were you married?
Go to Top of Page

paula.01
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  18:15:46  Show Profile  Visit paula.01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we were married when we first bought the house but are now divorced.

Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  18:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you not get a financial consent order done?
Go to Top of Page

paula.01
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  18:20:32  Show Profile  Visit paula.01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
unfortunately not. There was no financial settlement at all.....silly me!!!

Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  18:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shame. But seems like there is only approx half of 15, 000 to haggle over so try not to worry.
Go to Top of Page

paula.01
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  18:25:18  Show Profile  Visit paula.01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, so i do get to haggle then??? Il need to, Half of £15,000 is a great deal to me as its money i just havent got...thanks so much for your input, i do appreciate it.

Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  19:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you will get to say what you can afford.
Go to Top of Page

paula.01
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  19:45:23  Show Profile  Visit paula.01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats good to hear, feeling a little more hopeful now than i did this morning anyway....thanks again for your help, especially on a saturday night!

Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  19:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW< I would also see about getting a consent order drawn up so nothing like this comes to bit you on the bum again!
Go to Top of Page

paula.01
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2010 :  19:50:13  Show Profile  Visit paula.01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well im actually not sure what one of those is but i will look into it once this mess is all sorted....thankyou.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page