Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 natwest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joanne.8
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2010 :  12:03:43  Show Profile  Visit joanne.8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Prior to going bankrupt i had a natwest step account however they were not one of my creditors. the OR advised that they had no interest in this account. When speaking to my local branch manager i was advised that they would be closing my account as they do not allow undischarged bankrupts. I didn't want to chance leaving my money in there so opened a savings account with santander (couldn't get a standard account). 5 months on and my Natwest account is still open. i contacted the call centre yesterday and they checked & confirmed that they will not be closing my account as it is only a step account, they will only close an account if it is a current account and above. Everything i have read has said differently, will it now be safe to use again or can they change their mind? Have their policies now changed due to being part owned by the government?

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2010 :  14:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried the Co-op for an account? You should be able to get a basic current account with them.

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

sjbyron
Average Member

United Kingdom
746 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2010 :  16:19:54  Show Profile  Send sjbyron an AOL message  Click to see sjbyron's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Personally I wouldnt take the risk, and would go with a bankruptcy friendly account like the coop or barclays

Best of luck

Stu J Byron
Go to Top of Page

frosie90

285 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2010 :  18:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a step account that I opened in February 09 prior to my BR in April 09. They were absolutely fine and they confirmed they would not close it. I continued to have my monthly salary paid in. Then as soon as I was discharged they allowed me to open a savings account no problems. The Step account comes with a debit card so I can purchase food etc. with my chip and pin.
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2010 :  11:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joanne

Banks have this awful habit of having rules, putting the rules on a back burner and then all of a sudden enforcing them.

you may go through the whole of BR time without an issue, as some Bank clients have but ..

Natwest have in their paperwork stated that they are not BR friendly, why put yourself in a vulnerable position ?

My Wife had an abbey / santander bank account she kept the account open small adhoc cash flow transactions, the bank were aware of her bankruptcy, now after bankruptcy she has an account that she can use and not have to submit a credit application for a new account.

good luck Richard
Go to Top of Page

joanne.8
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2010 :  20:45:02  Show Profile  Visit joanne.8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I also read that natwest were not bankruptcy friendly, that why i was a little worried and stopped using the account. I might try a few small amounts in the account and see how it goes, don't want to lose money if i don't need to. I did try and open an account with coop but got declined, also barclays are one of my creditors so i can't go to them. i do have a savings account with santander so all is not lost. they said i can have a normal account once i become discharged.

I received the letter about early discharge the other day, once i become discharged will the natwest account usually become safe automatically?

Go to Top of Page

frosie90

285 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2010 :  21:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judging by some of the responses I must have been one of the lucky ones? Natwest has been fab for me. Reckon regions may be different? I am from Birmingham and they have been great. No problems. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

joanne.8
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 23 September 2010 :  21:22:59  Show Profile  Visit joanne.8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think you may be right, its the luck of the draw where you live, i'm from manchester. i'll see how i get on and update at a later date.

Thanks everyone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page