Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Final Straw - house has been fire damaged
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sarahhoughton
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2011 :  18:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

I write today asking for some general advice about the situation I have come home today yesterday. I've been BR some five months now and everything was getting better and easier until I got home yesterday after a week's visit to family members. The house next door set on fire on Tuesday and my house is fire/smoke damaged throughout. Everything and I mean everything is ruined. My other half has just thought that this may in someway affect my BR.

I'm lucky to be fully insurance (Buildings and Contents) so I don't anticipe any problems in being paid out and I've got the crime reference/police log number for the incident but how will the OR view this? I know its a situation that probably doesn't occur that often.

I guess (someone maybe able to correct me if I'm wrong) I will be paid a lump sum to cover my contents and a lump sum for any building work that may be required. How will this be treated/viewed by the OR? I'm worried they will want the money I am paid and leave me with with little belongings and a damaged house I won't have the money to repair?

Also the property is currently in negative Equity by 25k and it was my intention to purchase back the BR when offered. Do I need to inform the trustee because the house will surely be worth less now with the damaged that has occured.

My house insurance have said that they will put me and my family up in a Hotel for the short term whilst the work needed is assessed/agreed and is carried out. Again will this affect my Income/Expenditure any? I am not subject to an IPA/IPO.

Does anyone have any knowledge of a situation like this?

Sorry if this seems like a rant but my head is all over the place now and compliations during my BR are the last thing I had hoped for.

thank you guys for any replies

Sarah x

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2011 :  18:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear about your news and hope you can get things sorted out.

Personally I don't think you will have a problem. Any payout is to cover you for things you have lost and need replacing or repairing.

One of the experts will be along later to advise further.

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

sarahhoughton
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2011 :  18:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello all

Just an update and I'm hoping there will be an expert on hand in the next day or so to answer my original questions.

My Insurance company have now agreed to put me and my family up in a local hotel whilst I get builders quotes and the work is carried out. They have agreed to pay the hotel direct and have said that this will continue until I have obtained buliders quotes and have written confirmation of when the work will be completed by. I am meeting the insurance assessor this Friday to discuss my contents and agree a figure for these.

I haven't been in contact with the OR as yet because I was hoping someone may be able to answer my questions.

Is there anyone out there who has heard or or any knowledge of what to do in this situation?

Thank you all again

Sarah x
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2011 :  19:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea in reality but would not think this would be a problem. You need somewhere to live and if the insurance company are paying direct then I can't see there would be anything to worry about.

I hope one of the professionals can pick up on this soon as this is only my personal opinion.

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2011 :  19:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah may be best to email or call one direct

Richard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic