Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 housing
 No one will rent to us
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

madness12

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2011 :  18:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Can someone please assist my husband and I both went B/R in Sept 2009 and was discharged in May 2010 we have had to sell our home due to me being made redundant and my husband not being able to afford the payments on his own. We do get a small profit which went to my mother as she puchased the B/I. We have viewed a number of properties and no one will rent to use we have no gaurantor and the council has put us in band 'D'. I have to say I am worred sick why does life have to be so cruel. I do have a step daugher who is 13 and does stay with us at least 4 times a week so we need a min of a 2 bed...I am now under the doctor due to depression and stress...this is all getting to much

Skint101
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2011 :  19:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm no expert but wanted to say I am sorry you are struggling. Have you tried a private rental? They are less likely to run a credit check. Also have you tried shelter to see if they can suggest anything?

Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2011 :  19:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Madness

I had the same challenges.

go and speak to your council housing officer and establish why you are band D and what needs to change for you to be re-evaluated.

Housing (the other Richard P) is the expert on housing issues so try to make contact with him.

i had to walk around my whole city to find out which estate agents had issues with checking my credit file and the fact that i had been BR. I found the small independants more friendly and they gave me lots of hints.

the choice was either Huge deposit and advanced rent or guarantors

I ended up with three guarantors as one of them did not get enough points on the matrix system.

keep trying and talking to people one time it will fall into place.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

madness12

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2011 :  22:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stint, We have looked on various websites and there appears to be nothing to rent with the landlord direct I check most days...buy the local paper and look in the new agents windows..Its a nightmare! everything appears to go through estate agents these days...and they make their minds up before you have even spoken...see BR and thats it!
Go to Top of Page

madness12

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2011 :  22:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard, thanks for the advice..I will try and arrange to see the housing officer and see if we can get re-assessed..there has to be something..We haven't got those kinda pennies...and sadly we have no one we can ask to be a guarantor..Who is shelter?
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2011 :  22:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.shelter.org.uk/

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

madness12

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2011 :  17:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok - The council has put us in band D as we have owned our own property the fact we have no money as the B/I was purchased by mother means nothing...So how do we get them the council to take us seriously..we have no where to live and we can not get agencies or landlords to rent to us. Someone must have had this problem??..Help someone please...
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2011 :  21:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice madness, but have you tried the link for Shelter that Kallis posted?

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 - it's over at last!
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2011 :  14:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have just picked this up today.

You should contact the local authority housing department and ask for your banding under Choice Based Lettings is amended. To give you "d" is outragous.

So far as letting agents are concerned, most take credit checks and therefore you may have a problem. My advice is be honest with them and choose a small local agent, NOT one of the large corporates - they have no heart or soul.

I had a letting and estate agency and we were a family business and we would assist people in your situation when we could.

You may also go direct to a private landlord who is only interested in the rent being paid - again, be open with them.

Good luck and post back and I will try some more to assist. Richard (Housing)

"There are no problems - only solutions"
Go to Top of Page

Crazee67

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2011 :  18:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Madness, Im very new to the forum and the whole BR thing - will be going BR in August (we expect) I truly hope you can find your home and I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you. The ironic thing is that as a LL it is far safer to rent to a BR with no debt than to a person who has an excellent Credit Rating due to the billions of creditors they have. Its a no brainer really but they only go by a scoring system dont they. Getting past that seems impossible. Is there nobody at all you can ask to be your guarantor??? Im waiting on a decision about a property, I have a CCJ but my hubby doesnt so I think we would be hitting a brick wall if it wasnt for my lovely brother who has stepped in to help. It still isnt definate we can go ahead but at least we have a better chance than or not having a guarantor. Apart from turning up with your cases at the council to declare homelessneee I really dont know what you can do. Can you get your MP involved with your plight?. I do think you should keep on to the the Housing Department. Do they have a bidding system in your area.??
Go to Top of Page

madness12

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2011 :  15:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, Well the news is we have now exchaged on our house and basically no one will rent to use due to the BR so we are from the 10th of march homeless..This I have to say is the hardest time of my life...People don't care about your plight or helping you, I am going to call the council tomorrow and arrange an appointment surely they can not turn their back on us...we have a small profit from the house which does go to my mum she was the one that purchased the B/I in the first place via loan...I am redundant from the 31st March...so the tunnel that we thought we had reached half long is now very dark and lonely...I pray to god that we can find something...times a hard and properties are few and far between..
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2011 :  15:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Madness, sorry to hear you are going through all of this. Hopefully Housing will see your post and be able to post some advice.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2011 :  15:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry that you're having such an awful time Madness. Have you tried contacting Shelter?

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 - it's over at last!
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2011 :  16:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you will probably have to be specific with the council. ask them do they provide rental guarantee ? (yes they can do)
ask them why are you only banded as D and when will that improve ?
also ask them if they have a local list of estate agents that are in support of housing benefit clients (would probably be same list as those that are Br friendly)

good luck

Richard

Go to Top of Page

madness12

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2011 :  16:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK - Spoke to the council and basically we are not a priority and no they will not change the band...We have to rent privately if we can't they have no legally obligation to house us...They did say about a guarantor thingy but its not the money we offered 6 months rent the estate agents still said NO...This is out of order, so on the 10th we will be homeless unless we are a single parent have health issues which would need to be checked or over 60...Even they were to offer us shelter in the (1) hostal they have me and my husband would not be together...oh and my stepdaughter who comes to stay every weekend and most school holidays would not be taken into consideration as she does not live with us full time...What a joke...So when I get made redundant on the 31st I won't get another job and I will suggest to my husband we start a family of our own..I bet the girl on the phone was all of 19!!!and she has the right to say no...I did ask to see a council officer...we haven't got any appointments for about a month you can see a duty officer though...what for them to make me feel like c*** too..:o( I don't suppose my stress and depression would be classed as a health issue either!! So for the next 4 years we will be homeless and only once the BR is off our credit file will anyone rent to us...may be. I don't think anyone should have the right to refuse you help I don't think the BR should be taken into considerdation when you are trying to rent privately unless the council is whiling to help..
Go to Top of Page

madness12

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2011 :  17:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
omg - i have just looked at my recent posting...the c*** is not me swearing...sorry everyone...the word is crap...I am so embarrassed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page