Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Hi. This is about Bankruptcy and 'MY' home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicola.ta
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2011 :  10:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Nicola.ta's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi. This is about Bankruptcy and 'MY' home, but the debt is my new Husband's (& his ex-wife's). My Husband & I married in 2006; I've had my own home/mortgage for 17 yrs now. He is in about 30k of debt which he got into with his previous wife between around '99/'02. They sorted out debt arrangement plans with the CAB in'02 & he has been paying his debts off without fail every month since. He divorced his wife in '04, taking the arranged 30k worth of debt with him -she was left with just a few small debts. In 2006 we married & moved home in 2007. I am still paying my own mortgage & every bill that I've paid since I was 19 years old to do with owning your own home. He pays his debts, his child maintenance & money towards the family shopping bill (which always goes on my credit card every week - but which I have paid without fail IN FULL every month) This is where things could get tricky. He is thinking of going bancrupt as his creditors keep asking for more money per month (I think every 6 months they call to ask him to increase his monthly payments) but he's worried that he'll soon be working his P/T job just to pay them off - this is where the BR comes, bUT we are worried that the Insolvency people will use my house to collect monies owed. So many people have said that they won't be able to touch my house as it's nothing to do with him, but then the CAB & an Insolvency Advice Line have said that the Insolvency people will look at how long he has lived with me & will try to work out how much beneficial interest he has in the house, if I've had any works done in the house etc to improve it -all of which would have been paid with with profit from the sale of my old house. I have 2 children and he has 3 with his ex-wife who stay with us every school holiday. So, If he does go through with the Bancruptcy, can they use MY house for monies owed by him and his ex wife! Nicola

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2011 :  11:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nicola,

If he's made no financial contribution to the house or to the mortgage etc, then you'll be fine, but I suggest that you take advice from one of the experts on here to chat it through in detail.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

glafy
forum expert

436 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2011 :  13:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nicola.ta.
As Viki says , chatting to one of the Experts on here would be advisable, see the link on the left of this page.
Good Luck & Welcome to the forum..
Go to Top of Page

Nicola.ta
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2011 :  15:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Nicola.ta's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by glafy

Hi Nicola.ta.
As Viki says , chatting to one of the Experts on here would be advisable, see the link on the left of this page.
Good Luck & Welcome to the forum..

Hi to Viki.W. and Glafy. Many thanks for your replies. I have tried to click on the links on the left for the 'experts' advice, but it keeps saying 'Error TTP 404' (or something like that)...
I'm so desperate.
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

239 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2011 :  15:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We regret the difficulty, please try http://www.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/forum/forum_experts.asp
which will give you the details you are looking for.

admin
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2011 :  16:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicola

whilst admin are resolving links

you can email Vicki Warbrooke (vincent bond) or Paul Johns (revivaUk) direct

both have email address and websites listed in postings

Richard

Edited by - Richard P on 07 February 2011 16:05:34