Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for june
 having problems with opening a current account
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lisa.r

173 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2008 :  19:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I filed for bankruptcy in June 2006 and was discharged in December 2006. However, I am still having problems with opening a current account. I have a cash card account with Barclays into which my wages (c. £1250 pcm) are paid in, and they refuse to let me upgrade to a current account, even though the bankruptcy is discharged (I am still making monthly payments to the official receiver under my payment agreement until July 2009). I do not want an overdraft, chequebook or credit card, I just want a debit card. I have also been refused by Lloyds and Bank of Scotland. Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

Edited by - lisa.r on 10 June 2008 09:05:49

m and v
Average Member

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2008 :  19:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa - welcome to the forum
Have you tried the co-op cashminder account? It has a visa electron debit card.

Vicki x
Go to Top of Page

abd

284 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2008 :  09:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa
I have been declared bankrupt couple weeks ago, 3 days ago I called Co-op bank, told them iam bankrupt and would like a cashminder account, the lady over the phone was extremely polite, in fact praised me for being direct and honest about my BR, in 5 minutes she open the account and will send me the papers this week. Try them.
Abd
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2008 :  13:12:28  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa.r and welcome to the forum.

It is in the Bankers Code that everyone is entitled to a bank account. It appears you've been unsuccesful as you already have an account. These upgrades are normally done by considering the conduct of your account. Have you had any payments bounce as this is the most likely reason your request for an upgrade has been denied?

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lisa.r

173 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2008 :  15:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julian

I haven't had any payments bounce with Barclays - in my branch they just keep telling me to keep trying - I have also opened a savings acccount with them now (with c. £700 in it) and they have told me that there's nothing wrong with my conduct, it's probably because I have an ongoing income payment arrangement for £75 a month which won't end for another year.

I have just gone to my local Co-Op and applied there - fingers crossed as I just want a debit card to make my life a bit easier!

Lisa

Edited by - lisa.r on 10 June 2008 16:24:20
Go to Top of Page

lisa.r

173 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2008 :  09:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have now got my Co-Op Cashminder account and electron card! My life will be easier now - thanks everyone for all your help, I wish I knew about this forum earlier!

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

m and v
Average Member

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2008 :  09:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa - good old co-op - think we should be on commission they must have had lots of new account holders from this forum!! lol x

Vicki x
Go to Top of Page

sarahatdigs

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2008 :  15:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you heard of citibank, there international and apparently quite happily take bankrupts and discharged bankrupts . you can apply online and get a proper current account just without cheque book and overdraft facilities for obvious reasons.
hope this helps
sarah x
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2008 :  15:50:54  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for the information. Another BR-friendly bank to add to the (short) list :)

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Ian Richards

United Kingdom
296 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2008 :  19:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have got a Citibank account, i just wrote to them stating that i was BR and that i needed a debit card and they gave me one. The downside though is you have to wait 4 days for cash to clear if you pay it through Lloyds TSB and as there arnt any citibanks outside of London it a real pain!
Go to Top of Page

tess121068

211 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2008 :  19:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Citi were one of my creditors so don't think I'll bother. My Coop acc is working well for me.

Tess
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page