Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 How are you coping ?
 Have you any coping strategies to share ?
 new here!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mistake09
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2011 :  06:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all ive just signed up here and thought id post, i went bankrupt in jan 09, i bought a house in 05 and at the time the building trade was booming (bricklayer since 1995) then from 2007 i found the work had dryed up i had to hand the keys to the house back to the mortgage company and moved into rented accomodation, my girlfriend walked out on me too which wasent nice as most of the debt was joint owed, i still dont know if she has had to go bankrupt herself, the total value of the debt was 486 thousand pounds, the mortgage was 350 grand, dream home gone bad!!! i felt ashamed for the 1st 12 months as im sure alot of people do, its eased now, i put it down to too much too soon, and not realising that the economy slows down from decade to decade, its made me realise that the only person you can really trust is yourself in life, friends i had from then i dont see anymore and the people who pretended to be friends just to borrow money i dont see them either, i think it either builds you as a person or breaks you and boy was i close to breaking, im looking to the future now and although its still only 2 and abit years on il never get in that state again, if i cant afford something now il not get it, ive been out of work since it all happened, and at the jobclub the lady who deals with me once said when you get an interview if they ask you about your history dont tell them about bankruptcy because they wont employ you, talk aout kicking someone when their down!!! well ive rattled on abit now but if anyone wants any advice about how to handle bankrutcy i feel im well enough educated to speak about it now!! unless you have been in the same situation you cant really understand is my motto in life now, take care

glafy
forum expert

436 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2011 :  07:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mistake & Welcome to The Forum.

Your BR experiences will definately help others who are considering/going through or have completed BR.

We have a wonderfully supportive range of people on here who wish to help others in a similar situation.

"Good things come to those who wait".....I'm a patient person but this is taking the Mickey!!
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2011 :  10:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Mistake

welcome to forum

yes it does hurt going BR, lots of pride missing. lots of self doubt, every one looking at me, talking about me ..... But when you get to the other side you realise how good your real friends and family are !

If you look back in history their are many people who have had to declare BR (about 30,000 of us last year) some have used going BR as a catalyst to go onto bigger and better things.

I was lucky when the initial drain of whole process had gone, i bounced back quickly, my wife took 3 or 4 months longer.

Mistake now that you have joined the forum, many people who read or post maybe in the similar position as you Jan 09 what brief paragraph of support, guidance or direction would you give ?

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Crazee67

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2011 :  18:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mistake09
It was really good of you to share your story and exoerience on here. Im planning on going BR later in the year so I am particularly interested in your story. Hope you dont mind if I fire questions at you from time to time. We are about to move into our rented property and hand the keys in to our mortgaged house so I would really like to know what this part of it all was like for you. How did you go about this? etc etc. Im assuming just hading the keys back is not the end of it all in the slightest. It all seems so daunthing at the moment.

Mine's a double
Go to Top of Page

mistake09
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2011 :  15:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all thanks for replys, the mortgage people came to the house, when i handed the keys back they signalled the locksmiths to come and changed the locks, moving into the rented house was a big issue for me, thats the point when i realised it was over, but when you get your pictures up and any furniture which you manage to fetch with you, you soon realise whats important in life, i do believe that you need to take time out and access things with a clear head, people can advise but you got to do whats right for you, a big thing i thought was well although im in rented accommodation at least its all over and i can start to build a life again, cos after awhile getting payed on a friday and it all gone on a saturday after phone calls to various creditors isnt a life its an existance, BR changed that and i cant fault that part of the process, take care everyone
Go to Top of Page

mistake09
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2011 :  15:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi richard p, i think a valuble exercise to anyone is to write down how they think it went wrong, the list maybe 1 sentence or maybe 100 but at least you can look at your mistakes (hense the name!!) and if you feel the process is starting all over again you can change it before its too late, i cant really comment on the pride issue as all people are different but never forget totally how it feels to have nothing then when you have something you will value it more, hope this helps
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page