Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Ex boyfriend took loans in stepdaughter's name
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tony.gn
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2011 :  12:34:54  Show Profile  Visit Tony.gn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My stepdaughter recently split from her boyfriend and we have subsequently found out that he has been taking out loans in her name. So far we have been approached by 4 different loan companies for money. We have paid these ourselves but can´t pay any more. She is not working currently and has no income. She is not claiming benefits. She lives at home and has no assets. We do not know how many other loans he has applied for. We also do not know where he is living now. Would my stepdaughter be able to declare herself bankrupt to get out of this situation?

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2011 :  12:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the first thing to do is to report the fraud to the police
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2011 :  12:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree!

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2011 :  13:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi tony

you may have to look at the full extent of the fraud

I would sign up to Experian and Equifax and look at all the debts / creditors listed.

i would then write to all of the creditors asking for details of the loan and information presented when obtaining the loan.

Once you have the paperwork you can establish exactly what has happened, sometimes things happen in the name of "love" which ex may be responsible for or step daughter has signed or agreed to sign under duress.

if your step daughter has signed the docs and not sufficient evidence for fraud then you may need to consider Bankruptcy. as i mention to all new posters make free initial contact with one of the experts.

The police would only be able to help if you can produce evidence of fraud. The more you can produce the quicker and more effective they will be in helping the situation
good luck Richard
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2011 :  13:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She may also qualify for a DRO which is not as severe as BR if her total debt is 15,000 or less.
Go to Top of Page

Bigal4787
forum expert

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2011 :  16:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Richard has highlighted how these loans may have originated.
Without knowing what sort of relationship she was in(was it harmonious, volatile, violent etc), it may be as Richard pointed out, the fact that she may have signed the applications, but under duress from her ex. As an ex Police Officer, this was a common phenomenon in unstable relationships, where the partner(normally male) would use his partners good credit rating to obtain loans, using various forms of duress(emotional and physical) to get them.

Once out of the relationship, it is normally quite difficult to admit what has really happened. I may be wrong, and he may have what used to be called, "obtained a money transfer by deception", however all deception offences have now been bracketed under the general term fraud.

Good luck

Big Al
Insolvency examiner with the Insolvency service from April 2008 - July 2010.

If you need help completing SOA's(statement of affairs) or PIQ's(preliminary information questionnaire) if you've been declared bankrupt, or anything else and you're within 30 miles or so of Warrington, then please contact me via my contact details in the expert page for futher details"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page