Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Scared I will be thrown out Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

welshaly

79 Posts

Posted - 06 April 2011 :  19:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi going br end of month got my car sorted is it true the or will inform my landlord that im going br been renting for a year with them and never missed a payment but have fallen behind with council tax and putting it in my br im scared they will throw me out help

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 April 2011 :  19:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know whether or not they do inform the landlord but if you're up to date with rent then I don't think you will have a problem anyway.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

kentmikey

61 Posts

Posted - 06 April 2011 :  22:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is something I have enquired about as we rent, someone posted saying that if the rent is up to date then the OR would not need to contact the landlord. I am still in two minds whether to be upfront with my landlord as I think this would better for them to hear from us rather than from a third party.

Mikey
Go to Top of Page

welshaly

79 Posts

Posted - 06 April 2011 :  22:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the replys its a worry be glad when its over and i cant answer the phone and door without being scared x
Go to Top of Page

theguvnor

100 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2011 :  08:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes they will contact your landlord irrespective of wether you are up to date or not. I never missed a rental payment in two and a half years but OR still contacted Landlord, they told me the will do this in all cases as people may not be truthful.
My advice to you would be to be open and honest - if you chance it that the or wont contact LL and they do then this may set alarm bells with Landlord.
I was honest with my landlord, explained the situation and that I was in a stronger position after BR, that I still had a job and that it would not affect them in the slightest plus all the costs and fees if they wanted to get rid of me as a tenant and find someone else.
If you have been there a while, paid rent on time and looked after their property I'm sure they will understand as long as you are honest with them.
Go to Top of Page

confused01
Starting Member

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2011 :  12:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been told by an insolvency expert that they will check with landlord that you are up to date but she has never known anyone to lose their home. I hope not cos we have been advised to secure a rental before filing for bankruptcy.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2011 :  12:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you will be fine, a lot of posters rent who are BR,

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

kentmikey

61 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2011 :  07:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Upfront and be honest is the best policy!
Go to Top of Page

welshaly

79 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2011 :  09:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the agency i rent of knows my daughter and i dont want her to find out as she will worry got my date at court to go br 26 of april im worried sick
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2011 :  11:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regardless of whether or not the agency knows your daughter, they have no right discussing your business with her, it is a breach of confidentiality and the Data Protection Act.

Don't worry about the court - you will be fine.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Bigal4787
forum expert

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2011 :  00:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
in all the cases that I dealt with in private rented properties, I NEVER contacted the landlord of the property, as long as a copy of the tenancy agreemnent was supplied to show that an agreement was in place and to show the rent.

The only time I contacted landlords was when people failed to co-operate, or it was suspected that the tenancy was a scam to show that the rent of £xxx was being paid when it wasn't.

The only other time the OR will contact a landlord is in relation to commercial tenancies/rentals.

Big Al
Insolvency examiner with the Insolvency service from April 2008 - July 2010.

If you need help completing SOA's(statement of affairs) or PIQ's(preliminary information questionnaire) if you've been declared bankrupt, or anything else and you're within 30 miles or so of Warrington, then please contact me via my contact details in the expert page for futher details"
Go to Top of Page

theguvnor

100 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2011 :  07:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm sorry to disagree but I provided a full copy of tenancy agreement and fully co-operated with or. The or at brighton directly told me they will contact all landlords irrespective of any tenancy agreement or the fact you are up to date with rent and have never had arrears.
Surely it's best to be honest with landlord then to chance your arm they won't be informed not to mention there may be a specific clause in tenancy agreement regarding bankruptcy.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2011 :  08:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it varies from office to office? Obviously the office where BigAl worked didn't contact the landlord.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2011 :  16:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could be right Jan. Brighton seems to be a very strict office - as far as I know they were they the only office that used to close Cashminder accounts and insist a new account was opened.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 - it's over at last!
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2011 :  17:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do not worry, the OR will not necessarily contact your landlord - despite what has been said here.

If you are up to date with your rent or not!

Ask the OR to use his discretion and he probably will

Good luck, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions"
Go to Top of Page

welshaly

79 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2011 :  07:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks housing x
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic