Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 hi everyone, thanks for all the help, another query
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rich1972
Starting Member

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  19:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everyone,
thanks for all the help re my bankruptcy questions, havent heard much at all from the OR yet
but i have another question
my sister in law has debts of app 9000, she is a single parent (one child) she is a low earner and has high travelling costs to get to work, i was talking to her about BR but i think she may qualify for a DRO, as she cannot afford the BR fees. Shes very down about the whole situation and i would love to help her, she went to the CAB and they werent much help to her, i hope someone can reply with help concerning BRO's i have taken down her income and i think she may qualify due to her high travelling costs, rent and no maintenance from her ex husband...hope someone can help i can supply all her details re income.
thanks
rich

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  19:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich,

Sounds as though she could be eligible for a Debt Relief Order depending upon assets and disposable income.

Have a look at this link:

http://debtrelieforder.org.uk/

It may help - if not then come back to us.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

rich1972
Starting Member

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  21:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you jan i have compiled a spreadsheet for her and without even being cheeky on the figures it shows that she has less than £10 per month left over, therefore qualifying.
The expenditure i discussed with her was the same as if i were talking about bankruptcy expenditure...eg allowable reasonable expenses...
is it the same for BR as for a DRO? i'm thinking it is...can anyone confirm this?
thanks,
rich
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  21:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DRO costs £90 and as long as the DI is less than £50 a month and there are no assets then it could be an option for her.

After 12 months everything is written off.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  10:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add, she would also have to be in rented accommodation, as you do not qualify for a DRO if you own a property even if you have high negative equity

Get your sister in law to ring (or call into )the CAB and ask to book an appointment with their 'Money Adviser' for advice re a DRO - you must do this through their Money Adviser (each CAB office has a qualified one) not just call in and ask the person on the counter for advice, they are generally volunters who may not be able to provide much advice, and would definatly not be able to apply for the DRO for her
Hope this helps - Melanie

Melanie Nicholas
30 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
Go to Top of Page

rich1972
Starting Member

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  12:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi again, yes she is in rented accommodation, and has no assets other than her car which is an old ford fiesta! so not worth a lot too! shes here at the mo and im just about to double check that she will qualify for legal aid, as i did for my bankruptcy and i managed to see a legal services caseworker attached to the CAB, who was extremely helpful and really knew her stuff
many thanks
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  17:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a DRO could be a solution. As well as CAB, Payplan also are able to sort out a DRO.

It will only cost £90 and as long as she has less than £50 per month DI she could qualify. Take a look at this website.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

rich1972
Starting Member

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  23:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks,
i have gone over the figures for her income and expenditure, i have missed quite a few allowable expenses out, and she still is well within the £50 a month limit. I gave her a load of info and i think i'll goose march her into the CAB! shes ignoring phone calls and letters (has been for a while)

i am positive she will qualify for one, we did the legal aid calculator earlier, and she qualifies for that too, so she can get the help of the legal services case worker attached to her local CAB...

just needed to know if the allowable expenses are the same for a DRO as a bankruptcy? im thinking they are but if someone can confirm this that would be great
thanks again everyone
rich
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  06:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a look at the link I posted above - there is a lot of useful information in that.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page