Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 BRO HELP!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JimmyChoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2011 :  14:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I was wondering if you could help me with a question.

Tomorrow the 9th June will leave the OR exactly 6 weeks to pursue a possible BRO/BRU before my Auto Discharge.

Can any of the experts explain whether I am in the clear with regards not getting a BRO/BRU if on the 10th of June I have not heard anything?

Can the OR post-date BRO/BRU letters?

Please help me understand the BRO/BRU process as I am getting close to auto discharge an am very nervous and joyous at the same time!

Regards,

Jimmy

JimmyChoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2011 :  08:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Experts,

Any comments on my question. I am very anxious to know what my current situation could mean for me in terms of a BRO/BRU.

quote:
Originally posted by JimmyChoo

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could help me with a question.

Tomorrow the 9th June will leave the OR exactly 6 weeks to pursue a possible BRO/BRU before my Auto Discharge.

Can any of the experts explain whether I am in the clear with regards not getting a BRO/BRU if on the 10th of June I have not heard anything?

Can the OR post-date BRO/BRU letters?

Please help me understand the BRO/BRU process as I am getting close to auto discharge an am very nervous and joyous at the same time!

Regards,

Jimmy

Go to Top of Page

Blackie
forum expert

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2011 :  09:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Blackie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi JimmyChoo

Congratulations on your imminent discharge from bankruptcy.

First, is there any reason for you to believe that a BRU/BRO is in the pipeline? You would only get one if the OR thought that you had been reckless either before or during your bankruptcy. Most bankrupts do not have restrictions placed on them. I really would not worry and the OR certainly can not slap you with a BRO once discharge.

All the best

John Blackadder
Bankruptcy365

For help and advice on the easiest and most effective way to a debt free future, please go to www.bankruptcy365.co.uk.
Go to Top of Page

JimmyChoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2011 :  10:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for the comments so far. I my case I did do reckless things before bankruptcy ie. obtaining loans with reasonable prospect of paying them.

It is good to hear that no BRO or BRU can be sought post AD.....however coming back to my original main question: I have exactly 6 weeks left for AD - can the Or still obtain a BRO-BRU? As I have heard they need a minimum of 6 weeks pre AD to get this done?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackie

Hi JimmyChoo

Congratulations on your imminent discharge from bankruptcy.

First, is there any reason for you to believe that a BRU/BRO is in the pipeline? You would only get one if the OR thought that you had been reckless either before or during your bankruptcy. Most bankrupts do not have restrictions placed on them. I really would not worry and the OR certainly can not slap you with a BRO once discharge.

All the best

John Blackadder
Bankruptcy365

For help and advice on the easiest and most effective way to a debt free future, please go to www.bankruptcy365.co.uk.

Go to Top of Page

moodybluetwo

156 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2011 :  12:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jimmy….I’m in much the same situation as you. I’m not expecting a BRU….but I am expecting to hear about my final SOAs. There are cases recently were the bankrupt doesn’t hear anything at all…just automatically discharged. Let’s hope this happens to us.
Go to Top of Page

JimmyChoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2011 :  13:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Moodyblues,

I am not sure what you mean with "final SOAs".

I have heard that ORs are under pressure from the recent govmnt cut-backs in terms of staffing that in many cases where BROs are merited they are not processed due to huge case backlogs and reduced staff umbers.

Perhaps BIGAL can confirm this due to his proximity as a previous IP at the IS.

Regards,
Jimmy

quote:
Originally posted by moodybluetwo

Hi Jimmy….I’m in much the same situation as you. I’m not expecting a BRU….but I am expecting to hear about my final SOAs. There are cases recently were the bankrupt doesn’t hear anything at all…just automatically discharged. Let’s hope this happens to us.

Go to Top of Page

Bigal4787
forum expert

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2011 :  15:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
A BRO can be obtained post bankruptcy, by application to the court, but before that by applying for an interim bankruptcy restriction order(which is what happened in one of my last cases, an interim order was obtained on the evidence presented, with a full BRO post bankruptcy), but as has been said previously staff numbers are down, so minor misconduct may escape as they just don't have the resources to deal, but they do have the option of the interim order.

Big Al
Insolvency examiner with the Insolvency service from April 2008 - July 2010.

If you need help completing SOA's(statement of affairs) or PIQ's(preliminary information questionnaire) if you've been declared bankrupt, or anything else and you're within 30 miles or so of Warrington, then please contact me via my contact details in the expert page for futher details"
Go to Top of Page

JimmyChoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2011 :  15:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bigal,

Thanks for that information. So, just to be clear, a BRO/BRU can be sought post AD, but only if preceded by an interim order within the pre-AD period. Or can an Or seek an interim BRO post AD???

I am getting close to understanding this with your help.

Thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigal4787

Hi,
A BRO can be obtained post bankruptcy, by application to the court, but before that by applying for an interim bankruptcy restriction order(which is what happened in one of my last cases, an interim order was obtained on the evidence presented, with a full BRO post bankruptcy), but as has been said previously staff numbers are down, so minor misconduct may escape as they just don't have the resources to deal, but they do have the option of the interim order.

Big Al
Insolvency examiner with the Insolvency service from April 2008 - July 2010.

If you need help completing SOA's(statement of affairs) or PIQ's(preliminary information questionnaire) if you've been declared bankrupt, or anything else and you're within 30 miles or so of Warrington, then please contact me via my contact details in the expert page for futher details"

Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2011 :  18:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically if you have told them everything up front and when initially asked you are not likely to get a BRO post AD. The judge will only usually allow an application if the OR has not had reasonable time to investigate, for instance if you had been hiding something from them

Although numbers of staff are down overall, the funding for investigations (which is separate) has been maintained in order to maintain the the public protection factor(although they do have to be recognised and flagged up in the first place
Go to Top of Page

JimmyChoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2011 :  07:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debtinfo,

Thanks for that. I was completely open up front - basically self incriminating and explained in detail. So far I have not heard anything from the OR - so I guess this is good. But I am still worried of the possibility of a BRO and would like to know when things can be considered "final" in terms of when I am "out of the woods".

So I revert back to my original question and perhaps you can help. We have established that a BRO can be sought post AD, by means of a "interim - BRO". The question is does the "interim BRO" need to be within 12 month period - in other words before the AD.

Regards,
Jimmy

quote:
Originally posted by debtinfo

Basically if you have told them everything up front and when initially asked you are not likely to get a BRO post AD. The judge will only usually allow an application if the OR has not had reasonable time to investigate, for instance if you had been hiding something from them

Although numbers of staff are down overall, the funding for investigations (which is separate) has been maintained in order to maintain the the public protection factor(although they do have to be recognised and flagged up in the first place

Go to Top of Page

moodybluetwo

156 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2011 :  10:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Assuming you haven’t got an IPO/IPA the OR can ask for a final statement of affairs to determine if you have sufficient disposable income to pay something back towards your creditors. It is entirely different to a BRO/BRU.
Go to Top of Page

JimmyChoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2011 :  13:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moody Two Blues,

I am not sure a final SOA is part of the BR process?

I'll let the Experts comment on this.

Regards,
Jimmy

quote:
Originally posted by moodybluetwo

Assuming you haven’t got an IPO/IPA the OR can ask for a final statement of affairs to determine if you have sufficient disposable income to pay something back towards your creditors. It is entirely different to a BRO/BRU.

Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2011 :  13:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moodybluetwo is correct, prior to AD you receive an income and expenditure form to complete, however not everyone seems to be getting these.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

JimmyChoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2011 :  13:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Viki,

Thanks for that. That brings me to another question. What happens if I start working one month before AD and get my pay check a day after the AD. What would I have to declare on my I&E? Yes I will be working - but still on benefits until I get paid, which is one day after AD?

What advice do you have on filling the I&E form in a circumstance like this as technically I will only have income one day after AD?

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Viki.W

Moodybluetwo is correct, prior to AD you receive an income and expenditure form to complete, however not everyone seems to be getting these.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2011 :  13:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I was expecting to receive a BRU as a large percentage of my debts were due to gambling, but luckily I didn't get anything I'm pleased to say. I was completely honest about it and explained that I was undergoing counselling for my addiction, so maybe that helped. I have now been discharged and only have an IPA with only 1 year left to go before it is finished.

I'm sure you will be fine.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

JimmyChoo
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2011 :  14:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Xmas Baby,

Thanks for your post - it is nice to hear that being honest in the SOA and reasons for Bankruptcy does help.

Regards,

Jimmy

quote:
Originally posted by xmas baby

Hi there,

I was expecting to receive a BRU as a large percentage of my debts were due to gambling, but luckily I didn't get anything I'm pleased to say. I was completely honest about it and explained that I was undergoing counselling for my addiction, so maybe that helped. I have now been discharged and only have an IPA with only 1 year left to go before it is finished.

I'm sure you will be fine.

xmas baby

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page