Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Am I better off just declaring myself bankrupt ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dan.25
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  16:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Dan.25's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi,
im currently in about £10,000 of debt have not made payments to any of the companies for quite some time as i have been struggling to make them and dont see that changing.im not a home owner and dont have any assets.the worry is really getting to me am i better off just declaring my self bankrupt.

thanks

Alina Pietrzyk
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  16:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan.25

hi,
im currently in about £10,000 of debt have not made payments to any of the companies for quite some time as i have been struggling to make them and dont see that changing.im not a home owner and dont have any assets.the worry is really getting to me am i better off just declaring my self bankrupt.

thanks

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert, but commonsense tells you that you can only answer that question by looking at your income against outgoings.

They can't touch you on the rent and Council Tax, that is for certain. The only exception would be if you were a single person renting a three-bedroom house - that sort of thing!

You also get to give the electricity and gas boards their due! Also water if it's not already included in the rent.

On top of that you need to consider your essential monthly expenditure (telephone and mobile too usually included) and see what you have left. Include £50 for food a month and £10 for cleaning products; £8 for prescriptions (even if you don't have one, you may do in the next 3 years) unless you live in Wales (where they are free); £10 for drycleaning costs; travel costs (cars can be kept in many cases); eyes and teeth (dental) treatment; TV licence/hire.

Computer internet charges not allowable, so though you can keep your PC/laptop you can't go on the internet as ALL your dispsable income above £20 MUST be paid over to your OR for 3 years.
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  16:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum

You may qualify for a Debt Relief Order. I suggest you give one of the experts a call to chat through your situation.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2011 :  07:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Viki that a DRO could be the way forward. Best speaking to an expert as she suggests.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: