Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Will having been bankrupt affect jobs in financial sector ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah.12

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2011 :  07:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I haven't posted for a while on here, but 2 weeks ago I received a letter from the IS asking us to complete IPA forms to be considered for early discharge :) extremely happy about this as was totally out of the blue... on the other hand tho, has been recently announced in work that my team is being disbanded and 15 jobs are to be lost leaving 5 FTE jobs.. I have completed my profile form and will find out in mid august if I am successful or not.. What I am worried about is that I currently work for the financial services, had permission to go bankrupt with advice that I wouldn't lose my job if I did. If I do get made redundant, early discharge comes thru, does anyone know if being a BR discharge will affect me applying for other jobs in the finance sector..... Worried now that we finally got over this hurdle for a bigger one to be put in it's place.

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2011 :  07:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah,

I think some jobs are affected by bankruptcy, not sure which ones though. Hopefully one of the experts can help.

I have everything crossed that you will be ok.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

Blackie
forum expert

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2011 :  08:59:11  Show Profile  Visit Blackie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah.12

Unfortunately certain jobs in the finance sector may be unavailable to you as a discharged bankrupt- for up to six years. You are still eligible to apply for them but some application forms may ask you if you have ever been bankrupt or bankrupt within the last six years. Also if any prospective employer was to carry out a credit check, it will show on that of your bankruptcy.

Hope this helps

John Blackadder
Bankruptcy365

For help and advice on the easiest and most effective way to a debt free future, please go to www.bankruptcy365.co.uk.
Go to Top of Page

Tifosi1

208 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2011 :  17:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah

I am an accountant and went bankrupt back in 2008. My employer, an accountancy practice, was not informed by the OR but I did feel obliged to tell them myself and they did not have a problem with it.

I was made redundant last year and have since found work as an accountant again without any problem, even in defence & aerospace where I needed security clearance (again I was upfront with my bankruptcy).

From what I understand from asking the same questions myself, I have been told that bankruptcy only causes a problem if you apply for jobs in the financial services such as banks, etc

If you were already working in the financial services industry and they did not let you go when finding out that you were bankrupt then I doubt that you have a problem going forward when applying for new roles.

I actually contacted the OR that dealt with my bankrupcty recently to ask if I had to inform all potential employers when applying/interviewing/accepting new jobs that I had been bankrupt and the OR informed me that as I am discharged I do not need to inform any one and only have to tell them if they specifically ask if I have been bankrupt in the past.

Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Almost Free
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2011 :  19:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I currently work for Blackhorse, I didn't go bankrupt until I had permission from them and a guarantee that I wouldn't lose my job. Now 6 months into the bankruptcy it looks like I may well be made redundant which is why I'm worrying as all I have ever worked in is the finance industry so this is where my experience is....
Go to Top of Page

Almost Free
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2011 :  19:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I have 2 user ID's on this forum as didn't know how to change my name, so i'm using Almost free and Sarah12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page