Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for june
 Illness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Porcorosso

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  10:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone advise how I tackle this subject. I nearly died in 2005 from heart failure. I am left with Cardiomyopathy AF, diabetes type 2, hypertension and high cholesterol. In addition I also have hereditary polycystic kidney disease. Its subsequent to this that my financial woes have snowballed. Do I need anything from my GP?

I can work but my health means i struggle to work the longer hours (ie 50+) to make a living. When i do long stints it then affects me so that i cannot work for a couple of days. Thus losing income. So my efforts are self defeating.

On the plus side I now have an exemption certificate for my prescriptions

The ostrich has taken his head out of the sand.

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  10:17:34  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Porcorosso,

By all means mention this on your SOA at the back when it asks for the factors that have led to your BR. The OR may request confirmation from your GP, but I would suggest that is unlikely in your situation.

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Porcorosso

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  10:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should add that according to my GP my medication also makes me prone to depression (like i need any more of it). I wanted to talk to my GP about it but he has rather inconveniently died from a heart attack. The GP who is now on my prescriptions is one with whom I have grievances regarding my near death experience.

Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  10:21:56  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Porcorosso,

I shouldn't be too concerned if I were you. Just let the OR know everything and they'll understand. It's not uncommon for eople to get serious stress-induced illensses as a result of financial worry, so you'll find the OR very understanding of your situation.

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page

Porcorosso

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  11:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Julian, I seem to spend most of my time flapping at the moment.

I can't tell you how much it means to have this site.

Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  11:18:25  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Porcorosso,

As I say to everyone I speak to, given what's going on, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Just relax and take it one step at a time and you'll be fine!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page

debtfreesusie67

256 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  11:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Porcorosso.
The time leading up to BR can be very stressful but once you've made the decision and gone through with it, it so liberating. I too suffer from type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and depression and its amazing how BR helped. My blood pressure has reduced and I don't have as many depressive episodes.
What I will say is if you feel your stress levels getting higher come on here and talk to someone. We've all been in the same position money wise and we are good listeners. So even if you need to just ramble on or rant we are here.
Hugs

Sue
The only way is up
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  11:21:29  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your continued help and support. Keep up the great work!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page

eamonn

320 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  12:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi porcorosso just to say that i wish you all the best and to say that there are some benefits which you may be able to claim that still allow you to work,such as disability living allowence with all your medical problems there must be one to which you are entiltled if you were to get dla at least you would not need to work 50+hours a week
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  13:21:28  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great advice Eamonn.

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page

Porcorosso

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  13:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for you comments. Its good to know there are people out there who can undrstand how i'm feeling.

I'm in catch 22 for any benefits. I drive as private hire for which you have to pass a medical. I managed to get myself fit enough to get through it but i have one coming due in December as they are every 5 years (ie. at age 45,50,55,60 etc). If i am put on insulin for my diabetes then thats it. I will lose my badge immediately.

Its been infuriating because Having looked for salaried employment I have been offered jobs then as soon as my health is looked at offers are withdrawn. Yet to look at me you would think nothing was wrong.

Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  13:56:22  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Porcorosso,

Once the BR is out of the way and the stress lifted, you will be amazed at the positive impact this will have on your health. Keep the faith!!!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page

m and v
Average Member

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  14:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Porcorosso - just to echo what the others have said - don't ever be alone, there will always be someone around to chat to and support you through your BR.
It will be so much better afterwards, no more worry, better sleep, everything feels more positive.
Keep your chin up and keep posting!!!

Vicki x
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  14:52:22  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Vicki ... three stars!!!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page