Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for june
 Couple of questions - mainly timeline for BR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ade65

187 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  19:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

A couple of questions if anyone can help.

How long does it normally take to get an appointment at court?

Am I right in thinking the interview with the OR is normally about a fortnight after? What documentation will I need to provide (presumably credit card statements and loan agreements) and when? - at appointment at court, or later to the OR?

At what point does a bank account normally get frozen? I get paid on the 30th, the direct debits I have come out approx 12-20th of month (rent on 20th), so I want to time things right. How long does it take for an account to be 'un-frozen'? (I'm thinking of a friendly account, like the Co-op one seems to be).

Any responses much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ade

m and v
Average Member

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  19:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ade

I rang my court and got an appointment about a fortnight later - obviously they each have different workloads and some you just walk in without an appointment. Give them a call and you'll find the court staff really helpful.
I went to court on the 18th April and had my OR int on 9th May, others have had theirs within the week. But about a fortnight sounds right.
The OR will request your bank statements etc so they have them to add to the detail they collect from you at the interview.
Bank choose to freeze accounts when they see you are BR. However I opened my co-op cashminder the day after I went BR and had account number etc within 5 working days. So prevent freezing I suggest you open it after if that gives you time to sort DD's etc. The co-op were fine about me being BR.

Hope this helps

Vicki x
Go to Top of Page

Blindshrimp

190 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  19:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what the Halifax are like concerning BR...or should I look into opening another account now?
Go to Top of Page

m and v
Average Member

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  20:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can ask them but I think they are BR unfriendly! The co-op seem to be the flavour of the month and I had no problems opening an account after BR.
All banks seem to freeze accounts when they know you are BR - some unfreeze them once the OR informs them they have no interest in the account.

If it's a basic account you have you may be ok. If it's an account with overdraft, cheque book etc you won't be able to have it after BR anyway until you are discharged.

Hope that makes sense!

Vicki x
Go to Top of Page

Blindshrimp

190 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  20:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks....so I guess I should open a new account, have my wages and DD's (not that there are many left) moved over or I won't be able to access money to pay the rent!!
Go to Top of Page

m and v
Average Member

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  20:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its all about timing - I opened mine the day after BR and had no problem.
The co-op seem pretty good and, to be fair, my OR made sure I had access to money so if I had opened an account before BR I think it would have beed "unfrozen" fairly quickly.
It just seemed less hassle to open it afterwards.

Vicki x
Go to Top of Page

longnose

175 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2008 :  22:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI ade
I was dead lucky i supppose, when i phoned the court to arrange my appointment i was told to come down any day before 9.30 am and that i would more than likely see the judge that day!.My interview with the OR(at his office) took place 2 weeks later.
I was told to bring along credit agreements etc,12 months worth of bank/credit card statements,and pension details.
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2008 :  12:03:11  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vicki, keep this up and I'll be able to retire :)

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page