Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I recently applied for a refund of PPI
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John.68
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  14:49:56  Show Profile  Visit John.68's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was discharged from bankruptcy in June 2011. I recently applied for a refund of PPI charges and received an offer ,followed by a text saying the money would be paid in 7 days. However when I rang to check I was told I still had outstanding debts on my credit card ,I thought these were discharged when the bankruptcy occurred Please can you clarify the situation ?

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  15:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was included on your Statement of Affairs then yes it's history. The Or would have been in touch with them? If it was me i'd send them my SOA which has them on it and then I would send a copy of the BR cert to remind them

If it was not on your statement I believe your still liable.. Even if they took it out of your offer it would still be a bonus!

but not sure how it all works
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  16:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any PPI claim, where the original PPI was taken out before the bankruptcy is not your asset to claim, it belongs to the bankruptcy estate and will remain so indefinitly until the trustee deals with it, you have no right to claim it and you have no right to keep the money from any claim, if you try to you could get yourself in serious trouble.

Here is a copy of the notice from the Insolvency Services own website, as it says you should contact your Official Receiver immediately

Payment protection insurance (PPI) mis-selling claims and bankruptcy

PPI mis-selling guidelines
Following the recent publication by the Financial Services Authority of proposed guidelines for firms that sold PPI policies and their contact with customers who may have been mis-sold a policy, but have yet to complain, the following information may be useful to persons who became bankrupt after the sale of a PPI policy.

A PPI mis-selling claim: a bankruptcy asset
Following provisions of the Insolvency Act 1986, The Insolvency Service takes the view that if a PPI policy was mis-sold before the date of an individual’s bankruptcy, any claim relating to the alleged mis-selling of the policy is owned by the official receiver or trustee of the bankruptcy estate, not the individual to whom the policy was sold.

Discharge from bankruptcy does not alter the position
Discharge from bankruptcy does not alter this position. Discharge does not operate to transfer unrealised assets, including PPI mis-selling claims, back to the individual.

Considering a PPI mis-selling claim: refer to the official receiver or trustee
If a (former) bankrupt considers that a PPI policy was mis-sold, they should not attempt to pursue a mis-selling claim without reference to the official receiver or trustee.

If a claim has already been made, the official receiver or trustee should be informed of the claim and the person against whom the claim is being made should be informed of the bankruptcy

Use of claims management companies
The Insolvency Service is aware that some (former) bankrupts have used claims management companies to pursue PPI mis-selling claims for them. If these services are used after the date of the bankruptcy order, it is possible that the individual will remain responsible for all or part of the commission charged if an award is paid to the official receiver or trustee. This may be because the amount of the commission is challenged by the trustee or if the firm against which the award is made is a creditor in the bankruptcy and exercises a right to set-off the award against its claim in the bankruptcy. This could result in no payment being made from which the commission could be paid.

As such, care should be taken before acting in this way.

Best course of action: contact the official receiver or trustee
The best course of action for any individual contemplating making a PPI mis-selling claim who is or has been affected by bankruptcy is to contact the official receiver or trustee dealing with their case before proceeding further.

Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  16:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if someone was discharged over a year ago?
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  16:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debtinfo knows what he is talking about - the asset was available before the BR so should be paid across.

Do contact the official receiver though, especially if you are in receipt of an IPA.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  16:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcoventry

Yes as you can see from the Quote i posted from the Insolvency service

Discharge from bankruptcy does not alter the position
Discharge from bankruptcy does not alter this position. Discharge does not operate to transfer unrealised assets, including PPI mis-selling claims, back to the individual.
Go to Top of Page

mcjohn
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  11:12:27  Show Profile  Visit mcjohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spam posting deleted.

Edited by - Niobe on 07 May 2012 11:45:39
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  11:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi MCJOHN, we do not allow advertising without permission on this site so please remove your links. Also Are you from the USA as i am sure that all the members on this site would be verydubious about going to a site being advertised by someone who does not realise that we dont have a federal system here in the UK
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  11:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've deleted the post totally debtinfo as it was spam and he'd done a load more apart from this which have now all gone.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  11:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also just looked at the website and it is very poorly written in bad english.

Not to be touched with a ten foot bargepole methinks!!

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  18:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by debtinfo

quote:
Originally posted by pcoventry

Yes as you can see from the Quote i posted from the Insolvency service

Did someone drop a bottle of sarkyness into their "professional advice"?

if your going to be like that feel free to delete my account. I will go elsewhere!
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  18:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Debtinfo was being sarcastic, just pointing out that the information was in his original post.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  18:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Tracey - debtinfo was merely pointing out his original post which answered the question.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page