Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Just Saying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dee

United Kingdom
215 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  14:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys
Most of you wont remember me but I went bankrupt in 2008. I first became a member of the IVA forum and even made it to one of the get togethers. Back the the Bankruptcy forum was quite small and the community not as tight as the IVA one. I am pleased to see that some of the people from the IVA forum are now regular posters on here because as I said back then I would never have got through that time in my life with the support I got. I still like to pop on from time to time to see how everyone is getting on.However, I am dissapointed that there appears to be small but distracting disagreements on here. I am aware that people have different experiences and opinions but some of the discussions at time seem quite personal. Some of the people involved have been posting on here for many years and I have never seen this sort of thing from them in the past so I can only conclude that newer members are responding to posts in a negative way. I know its hard to word text in the same way as you could talk to someone but I always think its best to take whats said in the best possible way.
When I posted asking for advice I would have been discouraged if the comments lead to a personal disagreement.
After saying this I think everyone has a valid point and you are all still doing an amazing job. Keep up the good work xx

View my Blog at http://DeeDee.blogs.iva.co.uk/

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  15:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry you've noticed that, and upset you've felt the need to post it.

I know some comments are directed at me, which is fine.

Some people in general are adverse to change, and just as many feel their noses are out of joint when a new poster comes along.

Its a shame some threads have gone back and forth, and you're quite correct, everyone has their right to a view, and a voice.

I shall continue to give correct factual advice, even if I have to correct 'old hands', which has never been done maliciously, but as said, to correct.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
Go to Top of Page

Dee

United Kingdom
215 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  15:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Year 2029
I appreciate your responce thank you. I wouldnt be able to give advice because I have noticed how much things have changed in the short time since I went bankrupt so I appreciate what your saying. I admire the people who despite going through bankruptcy some time ago have kept up to date with the changes in order to advise on here.

I suppose the skill is offering an alternative piece of advice rather than correcting and I suppose if you feel something is misleading to question politely rather than correct.

I always think people who offer advice do so from the best possible place and that comment is directed to you too.

If someone could give lessons in communicating via the written word like emails etc I would be the first person to sign up. Its so hard to convey things in a good way sometimes!

I admire and respect your commitment to helping people

Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  15:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee,

I do remember you very well how are you? It's lovely to see you posting.

As you may remember, I joined this forum and the iva forum back in 2008 when I had me restaurant and a lot, lot, lot of debt!

I did my IVA but still wanted to keep posting on here, then got a job with VB helping people in debt which I decided I wanted to do after all the help I got.

Posting on here is not part of my job, nor do I get paid for it. And, although I speak to a lot of people who have found me on here, I don't get many clients from here, I just love posting and helping people.

Things have changed a lot on here, but I hope lots of people looking in still find answers to their questions.

It's funny that you've posted today Dee, there is another frugal friends meeting tonight, although I can't make it.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  15:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As well as correcting, I do give alternative views, and often answer when the old sweats haven't been able to.

I shall continue, as my BR is complicated and current, and not withstanding that, have a wealth of other information to pass on.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  16:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember you as well Dee - I hope things are going well for you.

Unfortunately there has been some bickering recently but there will always be posters who don't like other people having a different opinion. There will also always be post that are best left to the professionals to answer. The mentors and other non professional posters are always here to offer advice and support though.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Dee

United Kingdom
215 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  16:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw so touched that you guys remember me! I'm doing fab thanks my daughter got her degree and is moving to Hong Kong in a few weeks which makes me proud and glad I didnt sacrifice her education. Still get stuck for money from time to time but we manage. I've had a promotion at work and I'm on target for another one pretty soon (fingers crossed) Bankruptcy is still the best thing we could have done and if I'd have burried my head in the sand any longer things would have been much worse.
Just 2 more years and the bankruptcy will be off our records.

Viki I'm glad you explained that because I was a bit confused because your picture looked like the Viki I remembered but she had a restaurant? lol

The Frugal friends meetings are an excellent way to meet the people on the forum and forge relationships and allow you to see the person behind the support and advice on here.

Good Luck to everyone and I'll keep popping in with fondness, inspiration and admiration. xx

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  16:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done to your daughter, that's brilliant and I don't blame you for being proud!

Like you going BR was the best thing I could have done - it meant I could move on. Like you I also struggle from time to time but it's so different to pre-BR!

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  17:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Dee, well done to your daughter, that's wonderful. It sounds like everything is going well for you and I'm so glad.

Please keep posting.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  17:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't echo the previous posts enough!
Please keep posting as it shows there's light at the end of the tunnel to other fellow bankrupts.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

Dee

United Kingdom
215 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2012 :  18:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im feeling love in the room haha thanks guys xx

Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 09 July 2012 :  08:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee - lovely to hear from you, its nice when past 'friends' pop back on...don't disappear peoples experiences are always helpful to those currently in a difficult situation and can be very comforting for them to know they are not alone.

I do though completely understand your inital comments and to be honest this is the reason I am not posting much these days.....got fed up of others immediately 'pouncing' on comments so I hovver in the background but am no longer as active a poster, which is a shame as there are people I really would like to help and advise

Perhaps, who knows....I may get back into it....

Melanie Nicholas CertDR
30+years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service and the past 8 years with a number of IP firms.

If I can be of any help to you in any way or answer any queries, concerns or worries you may have, or with completing the forms for bankruptcy, please do not hesitate to get in touch -I can be contacted via the experts tab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page